Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Batman Movie Minifigure Pack - Gotham Police Department

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO Batman Movie Minifigure Pack - Gotham Police Depart

Postby PurpleDave » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am

dWhisper wrote:Not the same uniform. White guy with the helmet has a regular police officer like we got in Arkham and other sets, with the walkie, badge, and a single row of buttons. Other one has dress shirt and tie with a blue jacket and two rows of buttons (similar to a chief or commandant in dress uniform), and the badge is on his arm.

Yeah, I just bought three copies yesterday and finally realized that when I built the "keeper" copy and flipped the two cops over to see if they had the printed GCPD backs or of they'd cheaped out on the torsos because they're not part of a regular set. When I noticed one had it and the other didn't is when I finally realized the black cop is wearing a double-breasted long coat. Note that it is 100% unique to this minifig, though. Barbara in her dress uniform has dark-blue pants, shields on both shoulders, laurels and a black brim on the cap, a single row of even smaller buttons than the GCPD torso, a black necktie, and gold...things...on the lapels of the jacket. Gordon from the Scuttler (which I'm waiting a week to buy) appears to have gold on the cuffs, a gold emblem on the red sash, more gold decoration around the shoulder shields, and no cap at all (not to mention he's earned a few medals). The male Arkham cop has the same legs and torso as the motorcycle cop, and the same solid dark-blue cap as the black cop. I think that, rather than being a higher rank of cop, we're seeing three different types of cop. The two from Arkham clearly have a squad car, which, in the real world (and when I get done with it), would fit two officers in the front seat and have room for at least one detainee in the back seat. The motorcycle cop is pretty easy to pin down because there's no other reason a cop would wear a helmet like that. The black cop is most likely a beat cop, who would walk while doing his rounds in a local neighborhood. It's something that's becoming increasingly unique to large cities these days, as are squad cars with two cops. Once the population density gets low enough, it's more efficient to put one cop in a squad car as that allows the smallest force to get around to the largest area. Another possibility I thought of was a desk sergeant, but the long coat as part of a duty uniform is also largely unique to beat cops. It's downright dangerous to wear on a motorcycle, it makes getting into a squad car more difficult and might also hamper your ability to exit quickly. A desk sergeant is in a climate-controlled environment all day and wouldn't need a heavy coat. No, the beat cop would wear a heavy, long coat in cold weather just to get through the day, and other officers would probably only wear them when doing things that would keep them outdoors for long periods of time (providing security at public events, attending funerals, etc.)

Regardless, officer is the lowest rank for police in the US, so nobody dressed like the female in this pack should ever be described as just another "officer". She clearly has rank of some sort (even if it's just detective), where the two in blue don't have any fancy insignia to identify higher rank.

dWhisper wrote:As for the quality question, no idea. I honestly never bother to drill into the differences on them, and haven't seen the problems that get mentioned in relation to them. They're probably from the same place that tends to do polybags/small sets/CMF, etc. It's less a version of where, since LEGO has been distributing out their manufacturing for years (and a big part of the reason for them moving manufacturing to China wasn't cost savings, it was so they would have standing to sue knockoff brands in China).

The CMF line is 100% Chinese make, as they need rapid turnover of accessory molds, massive amounts of unique prints, and a very low range of different shapes that need to be made at any one time. Cost absolutely was a factor there, as evidenced by the fact that the only other parts from regular sets that are easy to spot as Chinese make are the IP-specific minifig molds (SW aliens, Toy Story characters, etc.) where they can't recover the cost of cutting the mold by reusing the same element across multiple themes. Making regular sets for distribution in Asia is believed to be aimed at enabling them to significantly lower the cost in _those_markets_alone_. Europe is still their largest customer base, and Chinese labor costs are completely offset by the long distances required to transport that product back home. In the US, it's still only cheaper if the Chinese labor costs run around 1/4 of US labor, as increasing it to even 1/3 of US labor results in a net zero due to transportation and lower production rates per worker (automation makes a _huge_ difference, and as much as it has been vilified in the past for the loss of manufacturing jobs, it has probably kept us from losing most of what's left).

As for these, the back of the card says, "Components made in Denmark, The Czech Republic, Hungary, Mexico, and China." The minifig parts used to be super easy to distinguish, due to high degree of difference in mold markings (particularly on the inside of the arms and bottom/interior of legs) and the delay in adapting the solid recessed minifig head vs. the Y-stud that has been around for decades. Now...I'm not sure. I just checked a couple of the LBM CMF, and the arms look European, the soles of the feet look European, and the heads are nearly identical. I can see a few differences between the CMF Barbara and CMF Joker (LBM CMF packet still says "Components made in China"), so even any differences I can identify are clearly no longer reliable for picking out Chinese vs European make. Eh, the Chinese minifig parts are massively improved over the S1/S2 CMFs, and they don't make them in the US at all, so I find I'm growing less concerned with where the actual minifigs are made, as long as the quality isn't immediately obvious. For non-minifig parts, I'm still very concerned about color control given the problems even the Europeans had (and still have) with the in-line color process vs the older, pre-colored ABS they used to work with. The Chinese knock-offs I have no interest in, but I have no problem with authentic LEGO parts that are scrubbed and reprinted to look like SDCC minifigs and the lke (though I vastly prefer the ones with textured 3D print vs pad printed because it makes it a lot easier to point out that it's not real when someone starts eyeballing what they might think is a $300+ minifig, and it makes it a lot harder to pass them off as the real thing to unsuspecting buyers).

Anyways, as I said, I just got three copies of the GCPD pack yesterday. I built the keeper copy, but now I need to add the other two sets to my LEGO Batman Movie kit. One set will be for the Batman-related character lineup, and the other set will become Clayface splat victims. In the meantime, if you look _real_ closely at the two male cops in this set, you might also come to wonder if they're "brothers from another mother". Hint: imagine if they dipped their heads in Nair.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am

For some reason, when I see the African American cop (and why I was thinking the chief), was that he reminds me of Captain Ray Holt, from Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Are you saying that all black people _and_ minifigs look alike? Not cool, dude.

But seriously, I tried watching B99 and gave up on it after just a couple eps. Andy Samberg just doesn't do anything for me on the humor front, and most of the cast seem like they're far better suited to not-comedy. I lasted longer with New Girl, which I dropped because I just couldn't take anymore Stoned Anna Friel. I've seen Andre Braugher in three TV series and a movie, and of the lot the only production that I liked that was also successful was Glory. Gideon's Crossing lasted one season, and Hack lasted two. He's a good actor, but he just can't seem to land any star-making roles.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm only saying that black minifigures that are dressed in a particular uniform happen to remind me of a particular character who is known for wearing similar stuff. ;)

I quite liked B99, though I can get not liking Samberg. The strength of the show is in the ensamble, and it's unique in the fact that when they cast it, they were deliberate to make a cast that reflected how New York in general, and how a New York police precinct, would actually look. It started a little slow, but picked up towards the end of the first season as everyone started to grow into their roles (especially Crews). That being said, I haven't watched it, or hardly any other television, in a year or two, so I can't speak to it's current quality.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes