Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Polybags Showing Up at TRU and Target in US

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New Polybags Showing Up at TRU and Target in US

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:21 pm

It's (finally) almost 2017, and that means that new sets and the like are starting to show up. While we're going to get a sales roundup going for some of the new sets popping up January 1st, there are a few things out there that you need to visit a store to pick up.

First up, a LEGO Batman Movie polybag that I grabbed at Target week-ish back while on the prowl for new LEGO Batman sets.

batman-polybag-front

It's an easy way to get the new Batman with the utility belt and some lightsaber bars. There are a bunch of Batman figures hopping around thanks to all the sets, but at $3.99 and 59 parts, there's a bunch of value here regardless.

batman-polybag-back

If you want to look for it, here's the Item # and UPC. I've seen it in multiple Targets around Dallas, so it should be relatively easy to find.

krypto-polybag-front

The more exciting one for me, honestly, is this polybag that I ran across at TRU. While hiding my shame at being in the store (which was mitigated when I made them price-match to [email protected] prices for 70900 The Joker Balloon Escape set and negate the TRU tax), I was surprised to see this fantastic little Krypto polybag, also coming in at $3.99.

krypto-polybag-back

I doubt if you have a soul if you do not fall in love with that little dog. The rest is gravy. Interesting side-note... all of the logo parts in the polybag, including the Superman logo and the series logo on the tail, are printed.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2016/12/30/new-polybags-showing-up-at-tru-and-target-in-us/
Staff

Re: New Polybags Showing Up at TRU and Target in US

Postby Zrath » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:00 pm

Someone on FaceSpace posted about the Batman polybag at Target, so I hit a bunch of them yesterday during work.
I came up empty-handed. I hit 6 Targets in total and found nothing.
I was all over the L.A. map: Eagle Rock, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, and 3 in and around Culver City.
However, a friend TXTed me about finding some in Van Nuys, so looks like I'll get a couple.
But man, why are so many Target stores so lame, polybag-wise?

And yes, that Krypto polybag is adorable! :)
Zrath

Postby dWhisper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:15 pm

Ace was having the same problem trying to find them in the LA area. There were a bunch of them in the Dallas area, but I know they've been slowly vanishing from stores as people pick them up.

Likewise, the LEGO Batman Movie CMF figures have been showing up and vanishing very quickly.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:47 pm

If you're looking for Batman in the checkout lanes, you're very unlikely to have any luck. Reports that he was showing up in the Valentine's section resulted in my finding a whole tray of them. Partwise, it should prove to be very popular. The "brown" parts (1x1 tiles, tile-clips, double-jumper plates, 1x3 plates, headlight bricks) are actually dark-red, but the two most useful parts in my book aren't even visible in the package art. The Phantom Zone thing (whatever it is) is held up by a 3x3 radar dish and bar antenna, both in trans-clear.

The only thing I find exciting about the Krypto polybag is that the purple clip wings means I'm just that much closer to being able to fake a Mace Windu variant of the 6966 Mini Jedi Starfighter.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:51 pm

All of the Batman polybags I've seen showed up in the toy sections in the flexed in mess that is post-Christmas toy aisles. Mostly endcap cages with Mixels or other old polybags, but did see a tray in one place sitting in the aisle.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:32 pm

dWhisper wrote:All of the Batman polybags I've seen showed up in the toy sections in the flexed in mess that is post-Christmas toy aisles. Mostly endcap cages with Mixels or other old polybags, but did see a tray in one place sitting in the aisle.

Target is remarkably consistent in their plan-o-grams. The layout of the stores may vary quite a bit, but when something is intended to be stocked in a particular area within a store, all stores will have plan-o-grams that assign it there, and the DCPI number system will guide it there at some point, if not right away. The seasonal section is, I'd agree, the messiest, due to some considerable variance in when stores change to the next season (Halloween is probably the worst). The Target I found mine at had the tray on a low shelf grouped with other non-consumables, but there was also an item tag on the edge of the shelf under the tray. So, it may have been stocked to random locations if they opened the cases early and didn't know where it was supposed to end up, but going forward any new stock headed to the floor should end up in seasonal.

The tricky part is, I don't think Target ever gets more than one shipment of any seasonal polybags, so any stores that stocked them early (particularly if they did so before Christmas) may have already placed and sold their entire allotment by the time they convert to Valentine's. Even worse is the report that these use the same DCPI number as the checkout lane polybags, so Brickpicker is useless for locating stores that might have them.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:06 pm

I had a couple of stints at Target spanning a few years. They are very consistent in setting up layouts, but individual stores are given a variety of freedom for setting up where endcaps and displays end up within a department. However, until the new planners are set, which for toys should happen in mid-January if they keep to their normal schedules and patterns, store and department managers are trying to fill in the gaps in departments that have been emptied by the holiday rush and follow-up Christmas stuff.

Back when I worked there, it was called flexing in stuff, and you can find the tell-tale signs of that gap as they cover up labels on the existing shelves or put out products slightly early. Most of the stores I've been to have their seasonal section as a split of clearance stuff and the storage/cleanup that goes up for packing all the seasonal stuff away (the same layout comes in after Back to School and before Halloween... I have a sad amount of knowledge tucked away from my days there), so they don't have much in the way of Valentines stuff out yet.
dWhisper

Postby Anomaly24 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Good news! The Krypto polybag is on the Feb 2017 LEGO Store calendar. Free with any DC Super Hero Girls purchase, Feb 1-15.
Anomaly24

Postby PurpleDave » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:54 pm

dWhisper wrote:I had a couple of stints at Target spanning a few years. They are very consistent in setting up layouts, but individual stores are given a variety of freedom for setting up where endcaps and displays end up within a department. However, until the new planners are set, which for toys should happen in mid-January if they keep to their normal schedules and patterns, store and department managers are trying to fill in the gaps in departments that have been emptied by the holiday rush and follow-up Christmas stuff.

Okay, that all makes sense, but changeover seems to be based on individual stores. Halloween changeover varies by a few weeks to a month around where I live, and as I said I got my polybags in a Valentine's section that was already set up. Nearly all the shelves were fully stocked. Today is also the day that all the new 2017 sets start officially releasing. I know for a fact that Targets in my area have been sitting on LBM sets because I was able to have Clayface pulled by DCPI just after Christmas. So, it's not like they didn't have sets available to flood the shelves with last week. They just waited because they were probably marked to be stocked today. I remember being able to call up the four early release sets by DCPI, too, and the first time I did that (Notorious Lowrider), the guy who brought the set up front said they were dated the 27th, and that if that was a firm date the set wouldn't even ring up. But other than special requests, like mine, I never saw any of those sets at Target prior to the 27th. And I gotta tell you, Target's LEGO shelves were absolutely destroyed by Christmas, so holding onto all of that new product for a full week afterwards had to have been very difficult, what with kids being on the prowl to spend all their Christmas money.

Back when I worked there, it was called flexing in stuff, and you can find the tell-tale signs of that gap as they cover up labels on the existing shelves or put out products slightly early. Most of the stores I've been to have their seasonal section as a split of clearance stuff and the storage/cleanup that goes up for packing all the seasonal stuff away (the same layout comes in after Back to School and before Halloween... I have a sad amount of knowledge tucked away from my days there), so they don't have much in the way of Valentines stuff out yet.

Yeah, there was some Christmas clearance nearby, but the bulk of the space was converted over to Valentine's There's got to be some sort of district manager level, and maybe that's where a lot of the differences come from that I'm seeing between local experience and what you know from where you worked.

And anyways, if these polybags are officially designated to go into seasonal, wouldn't they fall under the seasonal department? Or is that kind of a multi-departmental department?
PurpleDave

Return to Licensed Themes