Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-PS4 Players

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-PS4 Players

Postby Staff » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am

Ever So Important Instructions

To be fair, they're also giving the finger to current PS4 owners of the game.

According to Kotaku, WB/LEGO has finally revealed how Supergirl is going to make it into the game: as a PS4 exclusive in the PS4 starter kit. So, to the millions that already own the title, if you want her you're going to need to repurchase the game (which, I'm just going to go out on a limb here, will go up in price because of the extra figure). Oh, and have a PS4.

For those of us that own the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, or WiiU version of the game (you may notice two of those consoles as being currently in production still)... I guess we're just out of luck. No, that's not true... we can use the in-game rental system, which is totally the point of a game that features the physical product heavily.

On the plus side, it has inspired me to not order any of the new packs, so there is that.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2016/08/16/lego-dimensions-announces-supergirl-gives-finger-to-non-ps4-players/
Staff
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby lithicbee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:40 am

It's only exclusive for a limited time, though, right? They'd be crazy to make a permanent exclusive that required you to repurchase the game.
lithicbee
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby cryptickosh » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 am

It is an exclusive for a limited time, but exactly how long that is has not been stated. I do agree that things like this are just stupid. Skylanders has been doing this crap for the last several games and it is quite annoying. I have never seen a company repackage a starter after launch though, that is definitely a first. I will wait patiently and pick her up when released separately or on the after market if they are asking reasonable prices (translated to not going to happen).
cryptickosh
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 am

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:05 pm

There is nothing out there that says it's a timed exclusive at all. The response they gave back when asked by Kotaku was:

“Next year, Supergirl will be available as a “Hire-a-Hero,” a feature in LEGO Dimensions that allows players to sample characters using studs collected in the game. Players can select the hologram minifigures near certain keystones to unlock characters for a limited time to try out their special abilities to solve problems and complete puzzles.”
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:09 pm

lithicbee wrote:It's only exclusive for a limited time, though, right? They'd be crazy to make a permanent exclusive that required you to repurchase the game.


According to the official press release that TheBrickFan posted, it "will include an exclusive, bonus DC Comics Supergirl LEGO minifigure for a limited time." Its a limited-time exclusive, but besides the polybag version that was an event exclusive, there's no indication that Supergirl will ever be sold outside of this starter set. I know people keep hoping that Supergirl and Green Arrow will come out in regular packs down the road, but it just doesn't look like it's in the cards. These are the same people who keep throwing highly desirable minifigs at SDCC, and when I asked a LEGO employee who shall not be named if they realized that those convention exclusives were getting sold for huge prices on eBay, I was told that "they just don't care". It's the job of the marketing people to drive demand, not to make everyone happy.

But the most disappointing thing about this is that after a few days without posting anything new, FBTB went with this article and totally failed to mention that Kenny "R2-D2" Baker died at 81 this week.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:32 pm

We rarely post on weekends (and, in fact, most of us were gone this weekend), and also do not tend to cover deaths in general in our news feed, other than deaths that directly impact our community.

There's nothing at all to stop you from posting a thread here if you would like to discuss it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby Blacknight » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 pm

I'd take anything on Kotaku with a grain of salt. There's a reason their parent company Gawker is being liquidated to the highest bidder at this very moment...
Blacknight
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby corran horn » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 pm

I'd originally intended to only get the chars necessary to complete the game to 100%. As prices dropped and my own completionist tendencies took over I grabbed up everything available.

Things like this, starting with Green Arrow, have led to me to abandon that thinking.
corran horn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Blacknight wrote:I'd take anything on Kotaku with a grain of salt. There's a reason their parent company Gawker is being liquidated to the highest bidder at this very moment...


While I'm no fan of their parent, Kotaku's coverage is typically quite good for stuff like this, and they have contacts that catch this before a lot of others. There's also a response from WB (which I quoted above) that lends a lot of credence to the story.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Blacknight wrote:I'd take anything on Kotaku with a grain of salt. There's a reason their parent company Gawker is being liquidated to the highest bidder at this very moment...


I used to read Kotaku, Gizmodo, and iO9 several years ago. Of the three, Kotaku had probably the best news coverage, both in terms of content and accuracy. Gizmodo was pretty good, too, other than when they dabbled in LEGO news and got tons of background stuff wrong. And of the three, it was iO9 that was a bit of a mixed bag. They had a couple of quality reporters who wrote some really interesting articles, but that site was run by someone who regularly wrote some fairly skeezy articles that felt like they were intended to be co-branded with Fleshbot, and who made the FBTB staff seem like Southwest Airlines flight attendants on Valentine's Day. I actually stopped reading iO9 because of her, and then dropped off Kotaku and Gizmodo once I realized how much spyware I was having to scrub off of my computer every time I visited either of those sites. Typically, parent companies don't micromanage their subsidiaries unless they've determined that those companies are being mismanaged, like when Hasbro cleaned house on Wizards of the Coast in multiple stages.

And for people who are complaining that they're doing this, consider the alternative. Green Arrow is very expensive on the secondary market, but obtainable. I haven't been able to spot a sealed Supergirl polybag for at least a month, and the best you can do right now is one open copy (no bag) and someone who's cloning the Supergirl and Green Arrow pucks. I just stopped by Best Buy tonight, and the PS4 starter pack is selling for slightly more than the Green Arrow polybag, but it comes with a ton of extra stuff. I was actually debating buying a second copy of a starter pack just for the parts (and I was wondering how feasible it would be to add a Dimensions portal pad to a town layout). Now I know which one to buy.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 pm

PurpleDave wrote:and who made the FBTB staff seem like Southwest Airlines flight attendants on Valentine's Day.


Since it seems like you really don't like us or our coverage, I have to wonder why you even bother to come here.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby Magmafrost » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 am

This kind of BS situation is pretty much what the whole game is to me. A bunch of really cool exclusive minifigs, all costing 5000x what they're worth because of their functionality in a game I have no intention of ever playing.
Magmafrost
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby MCoad » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 am

For those of us that own the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, or WiiU version of the game (you may notice two of those consoles as being currently in production still)... I guess we're just out of luck.


Not the first time this has happened with Lego games, and this happens across the board for Wii U owners (CoD and the Arkham series are my top frustrations there, but what can you do). I really don't get it. It has to be driven by the console companies, I assume, but I would think the people actually selling the games wouldn't want to cut off segments of their potential market... their logic seems to be "if they don't like it, they can buy a new console."

No, that's not true... we can use the in-game rental system, which is totally the point of a game that features the physical product heavily.
On the plus side, it has inspired me to not order any of the new packs, so there is that.


Maybe they were intending the in-game rental as a demo/advertisement for the characters you don't have yet, but it's still bizarre.

Personally, I have serious completionist tendencies, so I had to come up with a plan that did not involve buying them all... A lot of the characters duplicate stuff from other games, as Lego already has games based on the Lego Movie, LotR, the Hobbit, DC Comics, Jurassic Park, and Harry Potter. So I figured on getting only characters that were unique, plus level packs. I am really surprised that with the success of Ninjago and Chima (especially Ninjago) Lego hasn't given them games yet, but with a Ninjago movie coming I'd being willing to bet a game will follow.
MCoad
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:34 am
Location: Missouri

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 am

Magmafrost wrote:This kind of BS situation is pretty much what the whole game is to me. A bunch of really cool exclusive minifigs, all costing 5000x what they're worth because of their functionality in a game I have no intention of ever playing.


That's a pretty different thing. "Worth" is a very subjective thing, as is value. Even if you're going raw cost, most of those figures end up around twice or so what you'd pay to get them aftermarket out of a set (sometimes a lot less... see Cyborg when he first came out). Even if we take a base $4 value, which is basically what the CMF lines have established as the base for a minifig... you're looking at 3x or so (and having to ignore NFC pucks, other bricks, and the cost of software).

You don't want to play the game, that's fine, but at that point you're basically just refusing an entire product line. I like some of the parts in Ninjago, but don't buy the sets because I don't care about them. There's nothing BS about that, just turns out I'm not their marketing.

This situation is bunk because I've already invested into the product line... heavily, in fact. But now they've decided to go back and update the core product, something, by design, you only need to buy once, and cloister off content in the game and physically behind a very specific wall. It's worse than retailer exclusives (which also stink), and worse than DLC exclusives, because this undermines the entire premise of their product.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby corran horn » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

dWhisper wrote:But now they've decided to go back and update the core product, something, by design, you only need to buy once, and cloister off content in the game and physically behind a very specific wall. It's worse than retailer exclusives (which also stink), and worse than DLC exclusives, because this undermines the entire premise of their product.


Something that, unlike Disney Infinity, they purposefully promoted as not having to re-buy the game all over again for new content.
corran horn
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:17 pm

So I got the Supergirl. Preordered on Amazon, caught the Best Buy price match, and it knocked the cost down considerably. I'd kinda wanted another copy of the Starter Pack parts, though, so not a bad deal for me (not like if the rumors are true and I dropped about $80 getting a Green Arrow that will end up being a Gamestop promo).

In terms of game abilities, she's pretty much a literal Superman clone, with the exception of her Red Lantern change. In that form, she loses X-Ray Vision, and switches to Cyborg's base attack (single shot blasts, or a sustained beam from the hand). In flight, she switches to the sustained beam much like Superman's heat vision. So, unless you're a really big fan of Supergirl, or you have a daughter (in the first year, 36 male characters vs only 8 females, only four of which have critical abilities), she's totally superfluous to the game. Heck, in the Wii U version, unlike Green Arrow, she doesn't even appear in the character list.

Green Arrow is pretty much a manly Legolas, but with the Grapple ability added. And again, unless you're a huge fan of Green Arrow, or it bugs you to have that one character greyed out in your character data screen, he's also not essential. I got them both because out of the bigger Year 1 themes, DC Comics was the only one that I actually wanted to collect 100% from the start.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby dWhisper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Worse with Supergirl, I've never had her interact with other characters. Not sure if it's just bad luck on my part, or that they didn't bother with anything other than the teleport-in / out text, but she's pretty boring. I had her up multiple times in the livestream and she was unfortunately just... eh.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:46 pm

dWhisper wrote:Worse with Supergirl, I've never had her interact with other characters. Not sure if it's just bad luck on my part, or that they didn't bother with anything other than the teleport-in / out text, but she's pretty boring. I had her up multiple times in the livestream and she was unfortunately just... eh.


Honestly, I kinda stopped paying attention to the dialogue. I mean, it's such a PITA to actually try to hear all of the entry or exit lines (can't even remember which it is, but I know one just requires constant removal and replacement and the other requires much longer delays) that I just gave up at some point. And I play the game with the Wii U controller like a giant Gameboy Advance with the TV running, so unless I read the closed captions there's a good chance I won't even catch the dialogue at all. The only thing dialogue I'm really curious to hear is the interaction between Batman and Excalibur Batman, since that will be the first time that two different versions of the same character will be available as playable characters. I know they played around with that when Batman runs into LEGO Movie Batman in LEGO Movie World, and they threw in some stuff for Emmet and Owen because they were both played by Chris Pratt, so I'm expecting something crazy between those two characters, and also if you take Excalibur Batman into LEGO Movie World. Speaking of which, I just realized that's probably part of why they aren't making a regular LEGO Batman Movie Batman, since he's already part of the game. And also I can't see him being anything but a clone of the Starter Pack Batman with just a flavor tweak. Though maybe they'll give Excalibur Batman the ability to change into his regular black/yellow outfit.

One other annoying thing, though, is that you can't add either character in the Dimensions app. Green Arrow's in the in-game character list with the Shard update, but neither is listed under DC Comics Packs. I've tried to Scan them in, but since I got the Year 2 update, the app locks up on me every time I even try to start the Scan function, so I don't even know if that works.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:24 pm

BTW, for those who were wondering about the "gold" color of the new bases, they're actually trans-yellow tops over non-fluorescent trans-orange bottoms, which does lend a rather interesting sunrise/sunset effect when viewed in person. Shame they didn't use a two-tone design for the Year 1 pucks, and I'm already wondering what color they'll pick for Year 3. If we count this as blue, yellow, and orange being used already, that leaves red, green, purple, black, and white as basic color options. I'm really hoping for trans-purple tops with trans-black bottoms to really get that deep starfield look. Sparkle colors would be even better, but that might interfere with the portal pad.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: LEGO Dimensions Supergirl Details, Gives Finger to non-P

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:35 pm

I did find one thing that Supergirl is (currently) required for. In a couple of the new levels, I've spotted Red Lantern pads (a circle surrounded by what looks like a "T" at the cardinal points) where Supergirl in Red Lantern form can create crowbars and such to unlock stuff. However, for the moment, the _only_ thing these pads have been able to unlock are the giant bricks that change colors until you destroy them for matching studs. Since Green Arrow and Supergirl were the first two Y2 characters I loaded into the game, what I don't know is if these RL pads only appear to someone who has used Supergirl in their game, or if they're always present. Ironically, Supergirl _still_ doesn't appear in the in-game character list that can be accessed from the main portal, even though Green Arrow does. Does anyone have the PS4 version? Can you check from the main portal if she appears in your character list?

They did change her since Year 2 first released. It used to be that you'd hold down the secondary action button (A on the Wii U) to morph her into her Red Lantern version, much like you do with Stay Puft, or Cyborg to morph them into their giant forms. Now, you hold down the character switch button (X on the Wii U) and re-select Supergirl after the red circle has cycled and the image switches to the Red Lantern costume, much like what they've done with Venkman, B.A., or any other characters that are being used to represent an entire team (so not Ninjago, since they pretty much covered all of the important good guys). Strangely, even now that they've freed up the secondary action button, they still haven't given her the freeze-breath power that Superman has. And while in Red Lantern form, she loses access to the X-Ray vision ability.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Next

Return to Licensed Themes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests