[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - A digression on Scalping...
Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A digression on Scalping...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: A digression on Scalping...

Postby ufjason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Check out this wiki on scalping I found. Not only does it define it well, there are key points you should take note of. With the exception of the castle advent calendar, there has been no limited supply of any Lego set in retail or online stores in the life of a particular set.

, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm

You see, that definition in the link is the vilified illusion I addressed in my first post. It may hold true for Transformers and action figure collecting since equal case distribution isn't a guaranteed in all areas - but LEGO is a whole different market in comparison (except the rare cases like the Advent calendar as you said). LEGO Scalpers don't rely on any demand generated by buying up sets so no one can get them - they wait for the demand to hit once the sets are sold out.

Pete: go back four pages, I'm just repeating what I said initially. Scalping is an investment with hopes it will be profitable in time. It is targeting specific items by following the interest of the community, and if you want to make any real money you will have to buy bulk. It's a simplification of the overall process, but it's absolutely true.

Even if you disagree with the definition you can at least agree that what I'm describing is clearly taking advantage of the system and collectors to make a profit.

Solo

Postby onions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

that's funny, that wiki* article you linked to links to this:

http://www.alteredstatesmag.com/mar2000 ... ping.shtml

which quotes Greg Hyland.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Sidenote: I can't help but think of every time I go back to this thread, and on that, I think I'm done. It's getting boring and redundant now so I'll leave you with this. Whether you want to call it scalping or not, buying things at retail and selling them to collectors for a profit is selfish. You're well within your rights to do it and it provides people with an avenue to pick up things they otherwise would be out of luck on... but at the same time you are taking advantage of people for the sole purpose of money. It's a practice I have mixed feelings on, and I openly admit I've done this in the past. I just don't have any delusions about it and it vexes me reading responses trying to justify the absurdly high prices some of these things fetch when it's all so arbitrarily established.

Solo

Postby deco_droid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:13 pm

deco_droid

Postby ufjason » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:28 pm

The key word mentioned is collectors. Collectors are not typical buyers. They are much more engaged emotionally to the items. They don't buy out of need but out of want/desire. Collectors create demand for items, Lego supplies that demand. Sometimes a manufacturer can limit production but I can't think of anything I wasn't able to find in retail, Lego or otherwise. It happens that Lego sets retire and anytime you're looking for something that is no longer freely available, price will go up because collectors are competing for a small supply still available. It's the collectors that drive up prices. If I set up an auction, I can't control the outcome when I start the price at $.99. I have a store so everything is fixed price. My pricing research involves looking at the average item prices looking at the highs and lows and factoring in the high quality I provide the market place. I sell at the high end of completed auctions as I'm in no hurry to liquidate and maintain steady sales.

For those who've never seen it, here's a to my basement storage. The pics show the progression and it looks completely different today. I moved a lot of inventory and added a bit over the last few months. I've toyed around with the idea of having a physical store but the overhead would completely negate the benefit.

My operation was small at first, meant to fund my own Lego collecting. It was hard not to increase the scale when acquisition opportunities were so cheap and plentiful. I'm no different from retailers looking for discounted goods to resell in their stores.

Edit: The last post brings up a great point. I can't count the number of compliments I've received from buyers about how happy they were with their purchases. Check out my feedback and the related auctions. I ship very quickly, maintain the quality of my sets and box my items well for shipping.
, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby meeotch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm

I'll give you five bucks for that dino attack set! XD
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby onions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:20 pm

onions
Damp Noodle

Re: Why Couldn't Lego Do Something Like This....

Postby speaknspell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Steve's Blog -
speaknspell

Postby onions » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

don't worry steve, so many arguments and points in this thread are so wrought with assumptions, you're likely to leave with more bums on your back than when you came in.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Teekay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby speaknspell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:10 pm

lol fair enough. you guys are all CRAZY! especially you Don.

Steve
Steve's Blog -
speaknspell

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:16 pm

My only experience with scalpers was when I saw 3 Atari 2600s at Goodwill. I got really worked up about them, and I came on half-price day to buy one. All three of them had been bought that morning by the same person. Now, there's a chance it wasn't a scalper, but that was the first thing that popped into my head.
Flynn

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Solo

Postby Tyrant » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby onions » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:33 am

onions
Damp Noodle

Postby bigospedros » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 am

bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby preterosso » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:41 am

One philosophical theme I've managed to extract from this discussion is the importance of degree or intent to our moral assessments. Most of the posters seem to feel that buying multiples of a given set is acceptable if the purchase is to add to a collection, and maybe one or two additional sets to sell later is OK as well. So the action itself doesn't matter, only the intent. I find this to be slippery moral ground, not anywhere near a high or low road. To use an extreme example, murder is murder, even if the purse-grabber only meant to knock out the old lady. It's a bit disingenuous to say "some is OK, more is not" and "if it's for your collection, buy as many as you like." Just like more money, increased personal economic utility is also a form of "greed" -- and who among us would begrudge indulging our LEGO fixations? ;)
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby kyphur » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:32 am

I'll put this question before the followers of this thread...

As I said in an earlier post (in this very thread), I'm planning to sell of my Lego SW Collection and I am only missing like 15 sets out of all the sets sold to date.

Every set is complete and only a few have stickers applied (UCS Stats plates, UCS X-Wing, UCS Blockade Runner & UCS Y-Wing) as I purchased them used that way.

I don't ever keep the boxes, every set has been assembled the minifigs that aren't on display are stored in small baggies of the zipper kind.

I'm not selling because I want to make a windfall. To be frank, I've been building this collection for 5 - 4 years now and last year I discovered a new love: Scuba Diving. If you guys think Lego is an expensive hobby try supporting 2 Divers (my new wife is also a diver)!

I'd prefer the sets get into the hands of other collecters who will build, display (maybe even play a little with) and other wise enjoy them as much as I did.

I suppose I could throw them on eBay starting at $0.99 and "let the market decide the value" or I could offer them here in the appropriate section at fixed prices.

Honestly I wouldn't care if someone considers me a "scalper" or not, as great as this bunch is my wife, kids & close friends are the only people whose opinion of me truly matters at the end of the day.

I do feel I deserve to receive fair value for the sets in their given condition, there are now chewed on or discolored elements as I have taken the effort to replace one I found in used sets I purchased.

What does everyone here think would be the most fair way to handle this for myself and anyone who is interested in purchasing a set or twenty from my collection?
kyphur

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars