[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - A digression on Scalping...
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

A digression on Scalping...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: A digression on Scalping...

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:20 am

natelite

Postby speaknspell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 am

this thread has officially become too wordy for me to ready anymore. I'm certain its very interesting though :)

Steve
Steve's Blog -
speaknspell

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:19 am

bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:46 am

I will admit to not having read every word of this thread, so I may be repeating something. If so, I apologize.

I just wanted to make a couple of points that I hadn't seen.

One, I have seen people discounting the notions that scalpers could seriously affect the supply because nobody could really buy enough of a set to make that a problem. It seems that people are treating this like it is an individual issue. Sure, one scalper could not realistically make a difference, but scalping in general CAN if there are several scalpers. How often is this the case? I have no idea.

Two, I have seen people admitting that scalping MIGHT effect local availability, but saying that it doesn't matter since people can still get the sets from S@H. Well, considering that unless you buy over $130 of merchandise at once you are paying more than 10% in markup (possibly more than 20% depending on the cost of the set(s)) through shipping charges, I'd say it is not unreasonable to state that forcing people to go on-line to get the sets by drying up local availabilty is not trivial.

That being said, at least where I live, it sure doesn't seem like scalping is a big enough problem to worry about. I have no idea how much of an issue it might be elsewhere. I happen to think toys should be bought to play with, but if somebody wants to treat them like an investment, that's fine with me, though I WOULD be more than a little annoyed with somebody that walked off with a store's entire supply of an item with the intention of selling it all for higher prices elsewhere.
Mister Ed

Postby Tyrant » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:05 am

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby LEGOscum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:10 am

Jeremy

aka "some random guy"
legoscum@gmail.com
LEGOscum

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:13 am

Mister Ed

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:50 am

Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am

Mister Ed

Postby Tyrant » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Tyrant

Postby Puddleglum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:28 pm

One thing that people seem to be missing is that if they don't like the high costs associated with buying a discontined set from a scalper, they should actually be hoping more people speculated on sets this way, not less. Here's a quick simplified hypothetical: LEGO makes a million billion copies of Super Awesome X-Wing Deluxe. They are available at retail for 1 year and everyone who wants one buys one, including one lonely "scalper", who buys 100 extra sets. Five years later, there are 1,000 new LEGO Star Wars fans who weren't into LEGO when the Super Awesome X-Wing Deluxe was released, and they all decide they want to buy the set. You now have 1,000 people chasing a supply of 100 sets - prices are going to be insane. But what if there were 100 scalpers who each bought 100 sets? Now you have 1,000 people chasing a supply of 10,000 sets - the scalpers are going to have to take what they can get, or keep money tied up in their inventory even longer.

I also don't understand this idea that if you find sets on sale, you should only buy one or two of them, and leave the rest for others. If I am walking down the sidewalk, and I see five $10 bills on the sidewalk, and there is nobody around who obviously could have dropped them, how many should I pick up, and how many should I leave sitting there? Does the answer depend on what I am going to do with the money?
Puddleglum

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:29 pm

let's not forget amazon.com offers free shipping and virtually no sales tax for many states, and it carries almost all lego stocks including some not found in stores.

seriously, the hate is not from buying sets at MRSP. you get plenty of avenue and choices to buy at MRSP. i think the hate is from missing out on sales and cheap lego. XD

i moved to sydney about a year ago and let me tell you this... lego here sells faster than hotcross buns on easter. sales are harder to come by (you don't get crazy 50% off except for this year and only from S@H).

when i was still in the US, i never had any issue getting my sw sets from shops at below mrsp prices. and it's not like i clean out the shelves either. it's a little annoying for exclusive sets because not that many stores carry them but to say shipping charge from S@H is the killer is just silly. S@H held plenty of free shipping promos all year round. and there's also amazon.com as i mentioned before. and get this -- amazon has ucs millennium falcon for $400 a few months ago. i wonder how many missed that and now complain about "scalpers". they are just easy targets because ppl envy those who are better off then themselves. it's the "keeping up with the jones" syndrome.
natelite

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:37 pm

Mister Ed

Postby tamuhockey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 pm

tamuhockey

Postby natelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:58 pm

natelite

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I started reading these points of view in this thread and there are some very strong opinions here. My personal take on the subject is much simpler and thats live and let live. I mean, for example, there is not an army of scalpers taking the only episode 1 darth maul figure out of the box at toys r us before it goes on the shelf(alot of us went through this) so they can hold a 4 dollar figure and sell him for 30 and unless your lucky or unless the interest fizzels out this is the only place you can get it..at this time. Using this example from the turn on the century, I dont see how these scalpers(if thats really what they are there seems to be a lot of different opinions as to what is and what is not a scalper) really destroying any individual oppourtunity to pick up a lego set. At least on line or in stores limits are set on how many sets you can buy in a shot but this of course is not always the case. Its not like there's 1 set in a box of 24 these things come by the pallet load.

I have gotten many sets that are retired or still around for really good prices online or through my other sources only because nothing retail wise is moving anywhere in the country right now so i benefited from someone else's failed speculation because of a crappy market. Thats the gamble this "scalper" took when he took that chance.

In this current market/economy i think its kinda hard for me to attack the way someone makes a buck. That guys got to be pretty industrious to corner his local lego star wars market. So in all truth we all have the same chance as everyone else it just depends on how much effort you want to put in. Everything in life it seems is either illegal, immoral or fattening and that is why i like star wars lego's they're one of the few things i love that dont get me busted.

Capitalism isnt for wimps, sometimes your the windshield sometimes your the bug.

Peace me bookies.
darth jason

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:16 pm

Mister Ed

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:58 pm

you should try looking on ebay. I just got a V-19 on an auction for $36 after shipping(closing bid was $28.99) Its crazy on there especially at alot of the stores since they're desperate and a lot are throwing in free shipping. As for the sales...its just a question of dilligence. If you want a good deal sometimes you have to put in the time. At least you can cut down the travel time by looking online. I picked up the MTT in my area TRU(san jose) for 60 bucks on black friday only to get home, check shop at home and find general grievous for 44 bucks.last year when they closed a TRU i picked up the naboo fighter/vuluture droid for 12.99

I have had very good luck at goodwill. Believe it or not. I mentioned this in a post somewhere else. Im not sure where but i did. In a 4 month period(last year) i have found 2 general grievous starfighters new in beat up boxes but totally complete $14 each. Anakin's jedi starfighter(clone wars) this was 9 bucks or twelve i cant remember but it was missing anakin( i have 2 of this type so no biggie). Ive seen some batman, aquanaughts and mission to mars sets, i didnt buy them because im into SW mostly and the batman set was trashed. i was digging through a bin and found half a dozen of the lego city/mission to mars impulse sets for a dollar each. they made great stocking stuffers. and party gifts. Some dude beat me to obi wan's jedi starfighter that was in a nice new box. i saw it at checkout and the price was $25 bucks.

as for big lots and tuesday morning i have seen lots of legos, big lots constantly has Bionical stuff. And i know tuesday morning has for sure but i wasnt able to get there on the tuesday they had them because i had to work. Those old lady's are tough boy its a madhouse there when they bring in the new stuff.

Im not sure where you said your at Mr Ed but since you mentioned Fred Myer I'm thinking Pacific Northwest?

Good luck, its out there man,
darth jason

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Mister Ed

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Oh i forgot about George "Ill do anything for a buck"Lucas. Star wars shop has them below MSRP all the time(regular price) not to mention all kinds of other cool stuff. I got the sith infiltrator there last year for 29 bucks when it was not available every where else that is before it came back of course. Hobby stores,the small independent ones are a good bet too. Those little "smart kid stores" you know the type that dosent sell toy guns and stuff. They all seem to stock lego's and those hang around for a long time some times.

Diddams is good if you have them where your at and i think you can buy from them online, they seem to always have an unusually good selection, they have playmobile too lots of them at least the ones here in the bay area.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/catego ... ory_id=323
darth jason

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars