Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

An Update To The UCS Falcon Situation

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

An Update To The UCS Falcon Situation

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:11 pm

I sent an email to my contacts at LEGO asking about the Falcon situation and specifically brought up the special Star Wars-themed VIP card. This thing:

Here was part of their response:

"At this time, the Star Wars VIP cards will only be available to registered VIP members who purchase the set in 2017. We understand how disappointing this may be to our fans who are having trouble finding the set and are taking that feedback as we plan future VIP experiences. Please refer to this FAQ page about that card for any further questions."

One of the benefits and promotions tied to 75192 Millennium Falcon was that you would get this special edition LEGO Star Wars-themed VIP cards. And with that card, you would be "eligible for a full year of special Star Wars-themed offers throughout 2018." However, their FAQ says the following:

What are the special offers that this card entitles a member to?

Special offers will include points promotions, special events, gifts with purchase and more! The offers will be shared directly with applicable VIPs throughout 2018."

So for those of use who are not able to buy the UCS Falcon this year directly from [email protected] or a LEGO brand retail store, we may still be able to take part in some of the promotions. Buuuut I kinda get the feeling that we won't be so lucky though and LEGO is going to stick to a "No card, no benefits" rule.

The situation is that they can't make Falcons fast enough to meet demand, AND they are limiting the card to people who buy a Falcon in 2017. That means if you didn't get on the wait list, which was limited to 5,000 spots across North America, at a retail store, you're basically out of luck. Doesn't seem fair at all, especially for those fans that don't have a store near them.

And is there really no other way they can offer the card to VIPs?

I tweeted this the other day, but I had a conversation with a phone rep recently and she said, "Honestly, we had no idea that the Falcon set would be so popular." If that's true, that's just shortsightedness on an EPIC level.

I'm pretty sure they have absolutely no intention of stocking it online until next year (I'm predicting March at the earliest) and that every shipment of UCS Falcon sets are inbound to retail stores or LEGOLands.

Sorry, pardon my French for just a moment but LEGO seriously frak up the launch and everything associated with it.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-star-wars/2017/12/08/update-ucs-falcon-situation/
Staff

Re: An Update To The UCS Falcon Situation

Postby PurpleDave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 pm

If you think about it, they've been cranking the Falcon out at a furious pace, which means they've committed to shipping a lot more Black cards than they ever planned to. It was probably cooked up to help move that really expensive set that would otherwise sell at a snail's pace, so it doesn't make sense that they'd give in and hand out the cards to anyone who just asked for one.

On the subject, though, while some people are reporting that their stores still have a ways to go on finishing up their waiting lists, I've seen one person claim that their local store is done with theirs. _If_ they continue receiving shipments this year, that could mean that VIPs are first-come-first-served, since they said the wide launch is supposed to be delayed until April.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby talosman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:06 pm

hi, hope you don't mind me asking... got an email from LEGO on November 11th saying my Black SW VIP is on its way. Still haven't receive it as of Dec 21st. Anyone gotten theirs yet?

- Talos
talosman

Postby banthafodder » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Still waiting for mine
banthafodder

Postby piaknowguy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I just managed to purchase one of the last Falcons available online at the Lego Canada website! Does that mean that I am eligible for the Star Wars Black VIP card?
piaknowguy

Postby piaknowguy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:23 pm

In reading the promotion, I'm thinking the answer is 'Yes'! :-)
piaknowguy

Postby PurpleDave » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:14 pm

piaknowguy wrote:I just managed to purchase one of the last Falcons available online at the Lego Canada website! Does that mean that I am eligible for the Star Wars Black VIP card?

If you made the purchase while logged into a VIP account, that should trigger a VIP Black card to be made with that account number. If you were not logged in (are they even allowing purchases to go through for non-VIPs yet?), I'm not sure what happens next, but I would suggest calling [email protected] to verify your status regardless. They're not exactly famous for flawless online shopping experiences.

And if you're not a registered VIP, but they let you order it anyways, I'm not sure if it will auto-register you for a VIP account (there was at least one person at my local store on launch who wasn't a VIP and they had to register him on-site before ringing up his Falcon).
PurpleDave

Postby piaknowguy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for that, PurpleDave. The site actually had issues accepting my order as the website was bogged-down with traffic. I ended up calling customer support and was able to place the order with a salesperson. I have an pre-existing VIP membership.
piaknowguy

Postby Sharpie Clone » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Regarding the new post about the UCS MF and wheel, mine did have wheels and looked very similar to the picture in the post. I think the main difference was that the Lego logo, was black on brown, not color. However, the wheels were not that sturdy and if you hit a bump or something they would come off or the adhesive of the "handle" would pull off of the main box.

If you're in the US and just going from the mall to your car, not that big of a deal probably, but I live in a city and take public transportation, so it was a bit of a pain to get around.
Sharpie Clone

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:48 pm

I got copy #11 of 12 on launch day. They only got eight sets of wheels and handles, so mine was the third one to come without them. I asked about getting an unused set of them at a later date, but it sounds like they stopped shipping them to the stores. Bummer. I didn't get the wheels and handle, and I didn't get the outer shipper box like I did for the last one.
PurpleDave

Postby banthafodder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Received my VIP card today. I spoke to Lego a few weeks ago and they said that they would be released in waves depending on when you purchased the falcon. I was apparently in the first wave from what I was told.
banthafodder

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 am

I'm not sure you were. My card was delayed by the whole "opt-out" thing, but I got my card on the 5th. Someone else reported getting theirs on the same day on another site. If you were in the first wave, you should have received your card almost three weeks ago.
PurpleDave

Postby banthafodder » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:09 am

Mine was delayed by the opt out thing as well.
banthafodder

Postby bad2thebrick » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 am

I bought my UCS Falcon in December. I still haven't received my Black VIP card, so I emailed Customer Service. According to their response, I will eventually receive my card, but with this exception:

"Our process for printing that cards has changed so the new card won’t have your name on it – you’ll still be able to take advantage of all the great Star Wars™ promotions we’ll be running in 2018 though!"

That's disappointing, but what can you do, right?
bad2thebrick

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 pm

bad2thebrick wrote:"Our process for printing that cards has changed so the new card won’t have your name on it

Well, that sucks. Wonder why.

you’ll still be able to take advantage of all the great Star Wars™ promotions we’ll be running in 2018 though!

So on that end, it turns out access to the BVIP promotions is tied to your VIP account, not the physical card. If you're a BVIP member, you should be getting the promotion notifications by e-mail, and you should be able to access them with your regular VIP card.
PurpleDave

Postby bad2thebrick » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I got my black VIP card. It doesn’t have my name, and it didn’t arrive in the fancy envelope that I’ve seen from collectors who received theirs earlier. It was sent in a regular white envelope. Despite all of that, I’m glad that I finally received my card. Woohoooo!
bad2thebrick

Return to Star Wars