Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Stores Have 75192 Millennium Falcon Sets To Sell, But Only If You're On The List

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Stores Have 75192 Millennium Falcon Sets To Sell, But Only If You're On The List

Postby Staff » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:11 pm

So I was in my somewhat local LEGO store this past weekend at Cost Mesa and noticed a stack of the new UCS Millennium Falcon sets over by the back door. I asked about buying one but was told they were reserved for people on the wait list. I asked if I could be added to the wait list and they said, "No, the wait list is full." I asked why they can't just add more people to the list and all they could answer me with was "Because the list is full". Thanks for the non-answer there.

That just doesn't make any sense to me. Because if it's just a wait list, why not let people get on the list no matter how long it gets? Is the store ONLY going to get enough sets to satisfy the people on the wait list and that's it? No more for forever? And if people on the list come and buy a set, doesn't that mean there is room on the list now? I did ask this last question since someone was there to buy it and they still answered with the non-answer of "Because the wait list is full" bs. I still can't figure out any logical reason why. Just bad customer service.

Also, I kinda wish LEGO announced something on social media or something about being able to reserve one via this magical list at retail locations. Maybe they did and I just missed it. I would have definitely made the effort had I known for sure. I do kind of recall hearing a rumor to that effect way back when the set first came and went. But, as usual, life got super busy and I never followed up on the rumor. I guess I will continue to wait patiently to get an email from the LEGO VIP program saying when I can finally order one, if ever.

Now let me be clear that my posting this isn't me whining that I can't drop $800 bucks on the stupid thing, even though it totes sounds like I'm whining. I just wish they had a better explanation on their wait list policy other than "it's full". It's kind of a good thing I didn't because this thing is freaking HUGE:

75192 Millennium Falcon Story Display

I need to clear out my current box fort first before I even attempt to bring this one into the house. Yeah, yeah, I know, I have a problem. I'm doing something about that and yet still, the heart wants what it wants.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-star-wars/2017/11/06/lego-stores-75192-millennium-falcon-sets-sell-youre-list/
Staff

Re: LEGO Stores Have 75192 Millennium Falcon Sets To Sell, B

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 am

I'm hoping to sit this one out. If the set continues to be unavailable for regular purchase then I might just lose interest and save loads of cash (and space).

Just like the Technic Porsche last year. Had it been available from [email protected] on the morning of August 1st I would have immediately bought one, but it wasn't and I didn't. Now at least two local stores have it sitting on the shelf but I can't be bothered anymore. LEGO has churned out so many new sets in the meantime that there will always be something else I want to buy before the Porsche.

(Still wishing the Saturn V will come back before the "no longer interested" point...)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:17 pm

The wait list was an open secret within the AFOL community, shortly after launch. They originally planned to do a wide launch on October 1st, but they didn't expect to sell out in one day. Wide launch got put on indefinite hold, VIPs were promised that they'd try to make more available before the end of the year, and a few people had active backorders in the system before they locked down [email protected] That's when the wait list was started. It was capped at 5000, and it was a one-time deal, probably because of the VIP Black Card promo and the fact that it'll be tied to exclusive events during 2018. How the wait list is managed appears to be largely up to local management. I've seen one person say they were given until the end of the day they arrived to pick one up or be passed over. Somewhere else, someone said they had a couple days to swing by. Either way, it's possible to be on the wait list and totally miss out because you're out of town or just had to pay a huge bill or something.

I don't recall them making a lot of noise about the wait list (most of the other AFOL sites did a good enough job of that), and they probably didn't want to. Non-VIPs might complain about being left out if they did, even though there's nothing preventing them from signing up (seriously, I think we had a non-VIP in line on launch day who signed up on the spot just to buy the Falcon early). It's also a one-time deal. It starts at 5000 and only goes down from there. I have no idea what happens if someone fails to pick up their copy, but the goal is to try to get all 5000 people a copy before the end of the year (when the black card promo expires). After that, word is they're going to try for the wide launch in mid-April.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Sharpie Clone » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:50 pm

We had a grade A clusterfkkk here in Hong Kong a month ago. After initially releasing 70 through one of the LEGO stores, they did another run with 10 at that store and 35 at the other location. The process at the second location was a disaster- poorly planned and executed. People yelling at LEGO employees, people angry with the mall security and staff, people yelling at other people- a total mess. And of those 35, about 20 went to guys hired by a store to wait in line and buy the product for resale. It was very frustrating, especially because the first release at the other location went quite smoothly.

One of the outcomes LEGO did make to placate some of the customers they let down by screwing up the planning, was to let 10 people who legitimately waited in line overnight to get a pre-order. I got a call on Friday and picked mine up on Saturday. So it seems new shipments are going out. I did NOT see any out for sale at that location.

I also was added to the VIP waitlist thanks to an alert from this site or another AFOL site (can't remember which). I then later got an email that did state that just because I was on the list I was not guaranteed a set. So far, I have not heard back from LEGO regarding the VIP list.
Sharpie Clone

Postby Sharpie Clone » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:07 am

They're ramping up for another USC MF sale this Sunday AM in Hong Kong. There are 180 of them split between 2 stores. They last time they did this 2 weeks ago, they had 60-70 in stock and one of my friends got there after the start time and still got one.
I'm not sure if they are working through the VIP lists in N. Amer and Europe, but I think we are (amazingly) getting to the saturation point in HK. They will have put over 350 on sale in HK after this weekend which is pretty good for the size of this market.
Sharpie Clone

Postby PurpleDave » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:52 am

I know someone who said he just got his notification this week, while he was out of country. They have enough of a wait list locally that they were able to push him down the list rather than simply bumping him off it for failure to pick it up within the designated window. I also saw a comment from someone else in the US who said their local store has actually just cleared off their wait list, meaning there's a possibility that they may receive more stock that's first-come-first-served (as long as they're VIP registered, of course)
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Return to Star Wars