Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

General Leia Will Not Be CGI In Star Wars Episode IX

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

General Leia Will Not Be CGI In Star Wars Episode IX

Postby Staff » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:50 am

ArsTechnica UK is reporting that Carrie Fisher will NOT be inserted into Star Wars Episode IX via CGI. Leftover footage from the cutting room floor of The Last Jedi will be reused for her scenes in Episode IX which is due out in 2019. Given the lukewarm reception of CGI characters of Grand Moff Tarkin and young Princess Leia in Rogue One, it seems Disney has heard the feedback and is taking the appropriate steps to address concerns over the late Carrie Fisher's appearance in the final chapter of the new Star Wars trilogy. Her daughter Billie Lourd and and brother Todd Fisher have signed over the rights to Disney to use the recent footage.

via Ars Technica UK.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2017/04/10/general-leia-will-not-be-cgi-in-star-wars-episode-ix/
Staff

Re: General Leia Will Not Be CGI In Star Wars Episode IX

Postby gomek » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:50 pm

CGI has come a long way. it's really amazing what they can do, but they still can't do humans (and most animals) 100%.

If all the characters were CGI it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. But mixing and matching just looks disjointed.
gomek

Postby miro78 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:52 am

Glad to hear they won't be CGI-ing human characters. Despite their best efforts, I thought CGI Leia at the end of Rogue One had very plastic-like facial expression. Too bad there wasn't any original Star Wars episode IV cutting room floor footage of Leia they could have used for the scene and just changing up the surrounding scene a bit.
miro78

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 am

I didn't have any issues with CGI Leia in Rogue One, but if the character is going to be used for anything but a tiny cameo, I suspect it wouldn't hold up well.
Mister Ed

Postby sparkart » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 am

I re-watched Rogue One in black & white, because, apparently it's a thing now:

Mad Max Fury Road Black & Chrome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNykS4VlnwE

http://ihorror.com/watch-jason-lives-black-white/

The CGI Tarkin and Leia look a little better in black and white. Still, not perfect, but better.

It's kinda sad that the original trilogy characters spent so much time after the events in Episode IV fighting in one way or another, usually with each other. But I guess it just reflects real life. There are those moments and episodes of joy and accomplishment, but few live happily ever after. What the heck kind of Disney movies are being made nowadays?!
;)
sparkart

Postby dWhisper » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Mister Ed wrote:I didn't have any issues with CGI Leia in Rogue One, but if the character is going to be used for anything but a tiny cameo, I suspect it wouldn't hold up well.

Same for me, I didn't mind CGI Leia at all, but Tarkin bugged me a ton. I thought they put too much detail on his face compared to the original, and it kept going deep into the uncanny valley.

One note I'd say about this that makes me a bit skeptical... they say they won't CGI, but I'm just going to assume that means it won't be fully CGI. CGI touchups and alterations happen all the time in movies... it's part of the editing process. Changing mouths and lips to accommodate new dialog added after shooting, recomposing a scene, etc. There will be CGI to recycle shots and stuff from VII and VIII, so the whole "no CGI" feels like a lot of hand-waving on their part.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby MarOrgana » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 am

As anyone here I was devastated when Fishes passed away. Nevertheless I have to say that this can't change the plot it was already written for Episode IX. So how are they gonna explain it? Is our beloved character going to disappear with no even the chance of facing her wayward son?

I mean, obviously it isn't because of the CGI result but respect is the reason why. I just think Leia should be recast. One way or another they could explain her change.

Am I the only one who thinks her daughter should play her mom's character?
MarOrgana

Return to Star Wars