Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Someone Screwed Up On The New A-wing Pilot Polybag

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Someone Screwed Up On The New A-wing Pilot Polybag

Postby Staff » Thu May 26, 2016 1:41 pm

Because that is not an A-wing pilot's helmet. That is a B-wing pilot's helmet. Despite that flub, everything else about this minifigure looks new. The head element has a new visor print and that torso looks new as well; I haven't been able to find any matches to either element on Bricklink. Great looking figure overall and that helmet is one of my favs, but I'm bummed we're not getting a pilot that's similar to the Gray Squadron Pilot from the last B-wing release. This looks more like an updated old school B-wing pilot.

We'll have release details soon but I'm guessing it'll end up being a Toys'R'Us promo item. It's either that or LEGO [email protected] since those are the only two players in the polybag minifig game.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-star-wars/2016/05/26/someone-screwed-up-on-the-new-a-wing-pilot-polybag/
Staff

Re: Someone Screwed Up On The New A-wing Pilot Polybag

Postby MitchMitchem » Thu May 26, 2016 1:56 pm

MitchMitchem

Postby Zulith » Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello this is my first post :)

Anyway this video should shed some light. Pheonix Squadron from SW Rebels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mflNRND2dXE
Zulith

Postby onions » Thu May 26, 2016 2:31 pm

yes, i was having a nice twitter conversation with Peter De Smet (@dewlanna) and realized that LEGO probably made the pilot you get in the set based on what they've done for A-wing sets in the past, not knowing that the character that would eventually appear in the cartoon was going to be sporting b-wing pilot gear. so, they probably made this polybag figure as a way to fix the issue. it's a win win for everyone though because we still get those old school A-wing helmets that are really nice, we get a nice new polybag figure, the character instantly becomes iconic because of the polybag, and we get anew b-wing helmet deco.

i still stand by my title, and that someone screwed up. if not at lego or lucasfilm licensing, then the art department for the rebels cartoon.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Isn't that a Y-wing pilot's helmet?

I'm fairly certain Gray Squadron flew Y-wings at Endor, at least according to Legends sources. Even though Wookieepedia mentions in the Gray Squadron article that the group also flew B-wings, all of the named members are labeled as having flown in Y-wings and other articles mentioning the Squadron (such as the one for leader Horton Salm) don't mention B-wings. I guess the Phoenix Squadron thing makes this helmet a B-wing (Blade-wing?) pilot's helmet as well, but I mean before that.
Supersonic wrote:nobody is going to see the differences between the Rebels and ESB AT-AT. Definitely not kids.
fallenangel327

Postby koalaexpert » Thu May 26, 2016 4:17 pm

onions wrote:yes, i was having a nice twitter conversation with Peter De Smet (@dewlanna) and realized that LEGO probably made the pilot you get in the set based on what they've done for A-wing sets in the past, not knowing that the character that would eventually appear in the cartoon was going to be sporting b-wing pilot gear. so, they probably made this polybag figure as a way to fix the issue. it's a win win for everyone though because we still get those old school A-wing helmets that are really nice, we get a nice new polybag figure, the character instantly becomes iconic because of the polybag, and we get anew b-wing helmet deco.

i still stand by my title, and that someone screwed up. if not at lego or lucasfilm licensing, then the art department for the rebels cartoon.

Actually there was no mess up at all. A-wing pilots can be seen wearing this helmet in ROTJ (specifically Tycho Celchu), and the pilot we get in the A-wing set is completely accurate to Rebels (the show includes various different pilot uniforms and helmets, including the classic A-wing gear, as you call it). Really there is no "B-wing pilot gear" or "A-wing pilot gear." It's just pilot gear. It serves the same function, and it's all worn by everyone regardless of what kind of ship they fly.
koalaexpert

Postby PurpleDave » Thu May 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Kenner botched a lot of stuff with the original action figure line, and West End Games further compounded the errors with the SW RPG. Everyone was used to the idea that both X-Wing and Y-Wing pilots dressed the same because they all looked exactly alike in Ep4, so when two new snub fighters were introduced in Ep6, and two new pilot outfits showed up at the same time, they were probably randomly assigned based on a few limited clues (namely that we specifically see an A-Wing pilot inside his cockpit right before he crashes into the SSD Exectutor's bridge). In reality, the outfits are probably interchangeable with all the Rebel snub fighters as they'd need to be able to make do with whatever they could get their hands on.

And frankly, given that the Mon Calamari designed and built the B-Wings, it'd be pretty silly if they were designed to only work with helmets that can't even fit over their own heads, or jumpsuits with sleeves too skinny for their giant flipper hands.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby PlutoVsPlanet » Thu May 26, 2016 5:19 pm

This is an exact match for a Rebels A-wing pilot. In Rebels the A-wing pilots used the B-wing helmets.

I believe the actual character was a female.

You know...... You guys really should watch Rebels, it is quite good!
PlutoVsPlanet

Postby dWhisper » Thu May 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Why wasn't this the May the 4th figure is my question...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby monkyby87 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Yes, nobody screwed up. As koalaexpert said, it's just a Rebel Pilot helmet and gear. The gear isn't tied to a specific ship. The helmet Luke wears in his X-wing isn't X-wing gear, it's just Pilot gear. So nobody screwed up. Combined with the fact that it's straight from a Rebels design too.

It may not be the most interesting figure, but nothing is wrong about it.
monkyby87

Postby gomek » Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 pm

PlutoVsPlanet wrote:This is an exact match for a Rebels A-wing pilot. In Rebels the A-wing pilots used the B-wing helmets.

I believe the actual character was a female.

You know...... You guys really should watch Rebels, it is quite good!

I'll get anything that looks like classic Star Wars, (and nothing that resembles the prequels). This figure looks great so I'll add it to the collection.

I never started on Rebels because the trailers were so bad. I just watched a half an episode. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but not sure I'd call it good. It really has none of the Star Wars vibe, so just based on that seems like a weird imitation.
gomek

Postby etcknight » Thu May 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Not a bad figure, but wish the legs had some pilot gear printing.
etcknight

Postby onions » Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm

I learn something new everyday.

I went back and rewatched the battle scene from rotj. unless i missed something, it was never really clear that gray squadron was a y-wing. and i always assumed that the pilot that came with the last b-wing set was in fact a b-wing pilot.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby PurpleDave » Fri May 27, 2016 4:07 am

gomek wrote:I'll get anything that looks like classic Star Wars, (and nothing that resembles the prequels). This figure looks great so I'll add it to the collection.

I don't have the emotional connection to the prequels that I do with the OT (which I grew up with), but I drew the line at the Disney stuff after watching The Forced Remake.

I never started on Rebels because the trailers were so bad. I just watched a half an episode. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but not sure I'd call it good. It really has none of the Star Wars vibe, so just based on that seems like a weird imitation.

Rebels starts out pretty rough, just like The Clone Wars did before it, and it still hasn't hit the height of quality that the latter did by this point, but it's decent enough to keep watching so far. Much better than carbon-copying Ep4 and select scenes from Ep5 and Ep6 to slap together into the most expensive movie to claim to be Star Wars. It gives me hope that without Abrams directing, maybe they'll release an original film someday and it won't make me want to hurl my drink at the screen. That's the first time I've ever had that feeling, and I watched Batman & Robin in the theater.

onions wrote:...i always assumed that the pilot that came with the last b-wing set was in fact a b-wing pilot.

And that would be because Kenner assigned names to the two new pilot action figures based at least in part on what everyone was wearing in Ep4. The only pilot outfit that we can assume was absolutely exclusive to a specific vehicle is the snowspeeder outfit, and that's largely because Mark Hamill would have frozen to death during filming in any other outfit, because that's the only one that included a parka or hood of any sort.
PurpleDave

Postby gomek » Fri May 27, 2016 8:13 am

PurpleDave wrote:Much better than carbon-copying Ep4 and select scenes from Ep5 and Ep6 to slap together into the most expensive movie to claim to be Star Wars. It gives me hope that without Abrams directing, maybe they'll release an original film someday and it won't make me want to hurl my drink at the screen. That's the first time I've ever had that feeling, and I watched Batman & Robin in the theater.

I agree with your assessment of Force Awakens, but I think despite being wholly unoriginal, at least it mostly did an OK job with the feel of the movie (being in line with the OT). I have a new hope for Rogue One. I think they'll get the vibe right based on the trailer, and all they need to do is not have yet another story about trying to blow up a death star.
gomek

Postby monkyby87 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:03 am

gomek wrote:
PurpleDave wrote:Much better than carbon-copying Ep4 and select scenes from Ep5 and Ep6 to slap together into the most expensive movie to claim to be Star Wars. It gives me hope that without Abrams directing, maybe they'll release an original film someday and it won't make me want to hurl my drink at the screen. That's the first time I've ever had that feeling, and I watched Batman & Robin in the theater.

I agree with your assessment of Force Awakens, but I think despite being wholly unoriginal, at least it mostly did an OK job with the feel of the movie (being in line with the OT). I have a new hope for Rogue One. I think they'll get the vibe right based on the trailer, and all they need to do is not have yet another story about trying to blow up a death star.

Well, considering it's mostly about trying to get plans for the Death Star (or at least in part), it is kind of going to be about trying to blow up a death star. Obviously they won't, though.
monkyby87

Postby Solo » Fri May 27, 2016 1:04 pm

spoilers!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby PurpleDave » Fri May 27, 2016 2:09 pm

monkyby87 wrote:Well, considering it's mostly about trying to get plans for the Death Star (or at least in part), it is kind of going to be about trying to blow up a death star. Obviously they won't, though.

Unless they do, and then Ben Kingsley sends a hologram to report that (surprise, surprise) the Empire decided it was more efficient to built two at twice the price, and now they have to destroy the _second_ Death Star in Ep4. Which I'm not willing to discount as a possibility after what Abrams pulled.
PurpleDave

Postby OscarWRG » Fri May 27, 2016 5:06 pm

The pilot is from REBELS, it is the one from the right in this picture

OscarWRG

Postby Blacknight » Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm

PurpleDave wrote: In reality, the outfits are probably interchangeable with all the Rebel snub fighters as they'd need to be able to make do with whatever they could get their hands on.

This is an interesting theory, but I'm not really convinced.

There actually IS a lot consistency in RoTJ between which pilot uniforms correspond to which in-cockpit shots. Wedge and the other X-wing pilots like the guy with the moustache all clearly wear the classic ANH orange uniform and white helmet; A-wing pilots are almost all seen with classic green A-wing gear; the helmet for the minifig in question here is seen in what is almost certainly a Y-wing cockpit, plus the guy screams when his ship is destroyed and it cuts to a Y-wing blowing up.

So while yes, there probably was more interchangeability than admitted to by older canon, Kenner and West End were largely accurate in their general analysis of which uniform corresponds to which ship. There was a good deal of standardization in the rebels, particularly by RoTJ when they were basically a full standing army/navy rather than just a rag tag group. The one or two helmet/uniform mismatches that can be spotted in the far corner of the Rebel Home One briefing room are just the exceptions that prove the rule.

Also, I hate letting Rebels decide or influence anything to do with OT cannon. The whole idea of A-wings being a common rebel fighter long before A New Hope just gets my back up. I'd rather they have come up with a whole new light fighter design for their kid's cartoon, but then the new Disney owned Lucasfilm isn't exactly skilled at coming up with cool looking spaceship designs (0 for 0 in Force Awakens and Rebels so far). I really miss Lucas' creative touch for military hardware. :(
Blacknight

Next

Return to Star Wars