Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Bring Home Spider-Man: Homecoming Today

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Bring Home Spider-Man: Homecoming Today

Postby Staff » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Today is Tuesday, also known as new-movies-on-disc day and the big title coming out today is Spider-Man: Homecoming. Assuming you haven't bought the digital version already, you have a slew of choices as to which version you want to add to your collection.

Amazon

Pictured up top, you can pick up the Amazon-exclusive version of Spider-Man: Homecoming for $45.99. For that price you get 4k Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital copies of the movie and a special mask case. Now, I'm not clear if the mask case is wearable or not. There's an age rating of 3+ for the case written in the corner, so ... maybe? Otherwise, it could be one of the mas cases like Iron Man where the front flips up to reveal your discs. Because of the high price tag, I'm thinking it's an actual mask you can wear.

You get free shipping on this item, Prime member or not.

Best Buy

Spider-Man: Homecoming Best Buy exclusive

SteelBook Central has a, surpries!, SteelBook edition. What's kind of interesting is that it has a 4k Ultra HD version, as well as Blu-ray, and Digital copies, no DVD copy. Blu-ray was great and all, but seems like it's on its way out as well. 4k or bust now. Best Buy is asking for $32.99 for their SteelBook exclusive.

Target

Target has their usual exclusive deal of an extra disc featuring bonus content. They're also throwing in a free comic book. So that's Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital copies, a bonus content disc, and a free comic book for $27.99. Target's exclusive of Spider-Man: Homecoming might just be the one to get.

Walmart

Spider-Man: Homecoming Walmart exclusive

The Walmart-exclusive version comes with Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital copies as well as 2 Mash'ems. Their asking price is $25.96. What are Mash'ems? I think they are squishable super-deformed characters but I am absolutely positive that it is the lamest incentive ever.

Amazon being the exception, you can order online from all of these places and pick it up on your way home while getting toilet paper and underpants. Okay, so maybe Best Buy doesn't sell toilet paper...

Given these choices, I'd have to go with Target simply because I don't have a 4k player. Stupid PS4 Pro.... I guess we'll have to wait for the PS5 for that.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-super-heroes/marvel-comics/2017/10/17/bring-home-spider-man-homecoming-today/
Staff

Re: Bring Home Spider-Man: Homecoming Today

Postby dWhisper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:36 am

Blu-Ray is still a fine for us too cheap or lazy to purchase a new TV just for a sharper picture. HD is fine... I don't feel like having to upgrade my TV and consoles...

Though honestly, digital or bust. Discs are so passe.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 pm

dWhisper wrote:Though honestly, digital or bust. Discs are so passe.

I wish I could agree with this, but until DRM gets its crap sorted out I'm not ever gonna feel comfortable getting rid of physical media.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Physical media has DRM too, sadly. Movies Anywhere and Vudu at least give the ability to spread your collection across multiple services, so there's no danger of a shop suddenly folding and taking the whole thing with it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Flynn wrote:I wish I could agree with this, but until DRM gets its crap sorted out I'm not ever gonna feel comfortable getting rid of physical media.

Why buy physical media when you can rent part of the content forever? DivX was clearly just a generation ahead of its time.

Someone I once knew offered to burn (illegal) copies of any DVD I wanted. I asked him if he included the bonus features. We never had that conversation again. I own three copies of LotR because they all come with completely different bonus features. Young Indiana Jones has enough bonus content to make a feature length movie tied to every episode of the series. Possibly the coolest thing about owning the Shogun miniseries on DVD is the way the interior image appears as you unfold the case. I always get a kick out of articles warning people which content is about to be pulled from Netflix because I know that anything on my shelf isn't going anywhere. They're immune to any ransomware out there. They don't pack LEGO minifigs with digital copies. I can loan anything in my collection to other people if I feel like it. I don't have to transfer content when I buy a new computer. I don't have to worry about recovering my content if my computer stops booting up (which has happened three times). I don't have to worry about losing it if any of the publishers go out of business.

There are more reasons than just DRM for owning physical media. Still won't get me to buy a Spiderman movie.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Flynn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 pm

dWhisper wrote:Physical media has DRM too, sadly. Movies Anywhere and Vudu at least give the ability to spread your collection across multiple services, so there's no danger of a shop suddenly folding and taking the whole thing with it.

Fair enough, but it's at least a more recent phenomenon with physical media (and I believe specific to certain companies), whereas currently it's nigh-impossible to navigate digital media without DRM nonsense. PurpleDave's comparison unfortunately holds--at the moment owning digital media feels more like having it on loan indefinitely instead of holding actual ownership.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby PurpleDave » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:07 pm

I collected the entire run of the 2003 TMNT series on the _many_ DVDs they released (usually 3-5 eps per disc, with no season box sets available). At least one of those has some crazy thing where every time you spin up the disc, it forces you to wait through several minutes of ads for shows and games that were around at that time (absolutely zero of which I ever cared about). You can't fast-forward, you can't skip, and you can't jump directly to the menu screen. The only way I've found to bypass the ad block is to only play it on devices that can remember where you were when you eject the disc so you can just resume playback. If you stopped in the middle of an episode, it sends you to that point. If you ejected on a menu screen, that's where it restarts. On the flip side of things, I own a music CD that gives you an error message if you try to play it on a computer. I don't remember how I managed to get the tracks onto my iPod, since I've never been one for Napster or other torrent sites.

On a related note, I read recently that some BBC study on the effectiveness of anti-piracy measures got busted for selectively releasing their findings. What they didn't ever tell anyone is that it turns out for the vast majority of movies online piracy has little to no impact on their bottom line. The only movies that do see a hit to ticket sales are the big blockbuster movies that might lose a couple percent to torrent sites. Obviously even a couple percent is a bucket of cash for a movie that can draw in 9-10 figures, but how much of that extra profit is spent trying to shut down online piracy? You've got the whole DRM industry, government lobbyists, entire legal teams dedicated to shutting down websites, and so on. And for the majority of films they don't actually earn their keep. I obviously prefer original media, but even so I never bought into the claim that every pirated copy equals one lost sale. I just didn't realize how far off base that statement was.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Return to Finds/Deals