Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:17 am

PurpleDave wrote:I do still miss the days when I could get this site to load as "From Bricks to Bullseye"...

PurpleDave wrote:While I think that it's inexcusably stupid that some 30 years after Real Star Wars ended, everyone was flying around in ships that were just slight variations on stuff that was around decades earlier, while Rogue One takes place literally on the doorstep of Ep4 and features craptons of completely unique vehicles that apparently all got shredded and recycled mere moments before Leia got captured, I do like the look of the AT-ST, and think it's probably the best rendition they've made of that particular Actual Star Wars vehicle, and I might pick it up. But in general I'm steering clear of the Disney fan-fic garbage.

Rogue One made a lot more sense for the positioning, and I buy their in-canon reason explaining away the U-Wings (they were the last vehicle prototyped before Incom was taken over by the Empire, and the Rebels / Bail Organa swiped them; the few they had were all destroyed over the course of what we got in Rogue One). And the rest all felt decent in some regards... the cargo-variant of the AT-AT I can buy, the shuttles at least all felt similar enough (we only saw a handful of shuttles during the original movies).

Even the TIE Striker was used in a situation we never saw in the original movies... a battle in the atmosphere, and it made a lot of sense in that scope (and TIEs were used in the battle above). When I first saw that, it was my assumption that those were made to fight in the atmosphere.

It's just that the design of the sets and the ships just didn't excite me all that much (especially the shuttles). The U-Wing was far cooler in the movie than the set made it look, but it also looks off in LEGO form. The shuttles were all blocky and boring, etc.

As for TFA, I buy that they're using ships that are evolutions of existing technology. We don't have to look far in our own military to see parallels for that. The FA-18 Hornet evolved into the FA-18E Super Hornet are the closest parallel that I see, and are the backbone of the Navy / Marines air corps for 30 years now. There are plenty of other vehicles that are even older and a backbone component: B-52 (entered service in 1955), the KC-135 / EC-3 (entered service in 1956), and the A-10 (1977) are all important vehicles.

From a setting perspective, one of the underlying elements of the Star Wars universe is that, technologically, it is fairly stagnant. Ancient weapons are just as good as current ones when you can find it, ships designs can be viable for centuries or longer (the Hammerhead Cruisers in RO were from Rebels which were from KoToR). There was a short burst of changes in the Clone Wars, but it seems like that was far more driven by circumstances and not by changes to tech. Shields are still shields, blasters are still blasters... they just needed to perform in a wide variety of theaters for the war.

PurpleDave wrote:See, I've been a huge Batman fan since Tim Burton defeated Adam West and made Batman cool for the first time in my lifetime, but while I love the minifigs, the sets themselves are almost universally garbage by my standards (and the Marvel sets largely focus on characters I don't care about). Except the UCS Tumbler, which is amazing. And Clayface. Clayface is a solid start, even if they didn't give him any actual, you know, hands. I can see myself buying quite a few of these, just to get raw materials to build a modular Clayface kit.

I grew up watching repeats of Adam West and Burt Ward on TBS or whatever station aired that in the early 80s, and that was the first Batman that first fell in love with. It was silly... I remember making fun on Bam Pow and Wham as a six year old, but I still loved it. I loved the Burton Batman films as well (the others... not as much, but more than more recent outings).

The camp is equal parts Batman as the Darkness is at this point. Batman is at his best somewhere in between (Burton's Batman), and more on the silly side than the Gritty side (BvS and Dark Knight Rises are just the worst). What I love about these sets is that, even while embracing the silliness and campiness, it shows a much deeper understanding and respect for the source material. These vehicles all hit on a particular style that matches the best elements of Batman's history (and the Arkham Asylum set, spoilers, is fan-friggin-tastic). The Batcave set was weak because it's been phoned in and didn't match the set... but it certainly could have.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 am

I seem to recall the New Republic using X-wing variants in those awful Dark Nest books, so if nothing else, what we saw in The Force Awakens is true to the old canon.

PurpleDave wrote:While I think that it's inexcusably stupid that some 30 years after Real Star Wars ended, everyone was flying around in ships that were just slight variations on stuff that was around decades earlier, while Rogue One takes place literally on the doorstep of Ep4 and features craptons of completely unique vehicles that apparently all got shredded and recycled mere moments before Leia got captured, I do like the look of the AT-ST, and think it's probably the best rendition they've made of that particular Actual Star Wars vehicle, and I might pick it up. But in general I'm steering clear of the Disney fan-fic garbage.

See, newer fans just gobble this sort of thing up. Their excuse is that the ships we saw in the older films were only a small subset of what the Alliance had, and that the rest of the fleet was elsewhere. Have fun trying to complain about prototype RZ-1s and B-wings in Rebels (or bringing up the X-wing games, which had a semi-legitimate excuse for including them) with people that refuse to read up on the original backstory and think the entirety of the original Expanded Universe is garbage.

And really, hammerhead cruisers in Rebels... who thought that was a good idea?

I can't be the only one bothered by this way of thinking. It fosters ignorance and dissuades fans from digging deeper.

My, canon talk in a thread about Batman! I suppose we should get back on topic... how is Steve Englehart's run?
Supersonic wrote:nobody is going to see the differences between the Rebels and ESB AT-AT. Definitely not kids.
fallenangel327

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am

Meh, at this point, I don't care about on/off-topic things in most of the threads. It follows the flow of conversation, which is something we've typically overlooked. The only type of off-topic stuff we usually shut down is when it has no connection or it's just some random ranting.

I'm fairly certain I can call myself an old fan. I've dug deeper into the old Expanded Universe (I'd guess I've read... maybe 70% of the books or so... I quit around the time of Jacen being a bad guy because it was just stupid), and I'm willing to go call it garbage. There were certainly good ideas tucked into it, but there was more bad than good, and it got downright awful in constantly expanding and changing and making up convenience points only to forget them a chapter or two later.

The reason for Disney is fairly obvious, and it was precisely what they told us they were going to do when they took it over and killed off the old junk. Things that make sense get adopted, things that don't get discarded. It's what got us Thrawn in canon, it's what got elements of KoToR made canon (which wasn't in the EU), and it made it so the comics and books started to be treated equally to the movies and Rebels. It seems like a fair trade, and it makes it so people that want to consume still get a ton of stuff to consume.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:24 pm

dWhisper wrote:I grew up watching repeats of Adam West and Burt Ward on TBS or whatever station aired that in the early 80s, and that was the first Batman that first fell in love with. It was silly... I remember making fun on Bam Pow and Wham as a six year old, but I still loved it. I loved the Burton Batman films as well (the others... not as much, but more than more recent outings).

The camp is equal parts Batman as the Darkness is at this point. Batman is at his best somewhere in between (Burton's Batman), and more on the silly side than the Gritty side (BvS and Dark Knight Rises are just the worst). What I love about these sets is that, even while embracing the silliness and campiness, it shows a much deeper understanding and respect for the source material. These vehicles all hit on a particular style that matches the best elements of Batman's history (and the Arkham Asylum set, spoilers, is fan-friggin-tastic). The Batcave set was weak because it's been phoned in and didn't match the set... but it certainly could have.

I tried watching an episode or two of the '66 show when I was really young, and couldn't bring myself to watch another. I watched Superfriends reruns religiously, but actually preferred Aquaman to Batman because at least he didn't appear in every episode. I liked Burton's take on him, but ironically to this day the only movie from the Burton/Schumacher quartet that I can actually watch anymore is Batman Returns. For as dark as it seemed at the time, 1989 Batman still seems too over-the-top ridiculous, which I largely attribute to the fact that I really got into Batman comic books after the 1989 movie (and discovered the first three epic modern Batman stories in The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, and The Killing Joke).

As for Adam West, I can't stand the series. I have no issues with Burt Ward, but Adam West is a festering sack of tools for pulling this stunt:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/23/58360 ... making-tim

It may not seem like much, but if he'd succeeded, he would have caused a ripple effect across all modern comic book projects. Consider this:

1. Without 1989 Batman, there's obviously no Batman Returns.
2. Without Batman Returns, there's no Batman: The Animated Series.
3. Without B:TAS, there's no Harley Quinn, no Detective Renee Montoya, and Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill never voice Batman and the Joker.
4. Without the success of Burton's films, Fox probably never gets started on the X-Men series that eventually leads to Deadpool.
5. Without the success of the X-Men films, Marvel Studios probably never exists, and we never get Guardians of the Galaxy (or any of the other films they've cranked out over the years).

At least Kevin Sorbo was just pissed that he didn't get a cameo in the most recent Hercules movie, but he didn't try to stop it from happening. The worst part of it all is that B:TAS did an episode honoring Adam West even though he was almost personally responsible for the show never even being proposed, much less making it to air. So once again, he's a festering sack of tools. And he has no love for his fans. Remember that he was heavily promoted by The LEGO Company as making an appearance at their booth during SDCC, which basically turned out to be as quick a walk-thru as he's capable of these days. No stopping to talk to people, not even a hint of setting up a table to sign autographs. No, based on reports it sounded more like he accidentally walked past the booth by pure random chance than made a scheduled appearance. Festering. Sack. Of. Tools.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Flynn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm

PurpleDave wrote:Festering. Sack. Of. Tools.

Surprise, surprise, an actor who's entire career was defined by one particular role tried to petition to get back into that role so he could have a decent job again. Sure, it was unprofessional, but it's a bit odd to try and blame him for trying to stop a whole bunch of things that no-one prior to 1989 could've predicted happening in the first place.

I mean, it'd be like going "20th Century Fox wanted to pull the plug on Star Wars because it was losing money--if there was no Star Wars, there'd be no Empire Strikes Back, and there'd be no Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which would mean no Star Trek: The Next Generation, and all the other major science-fiction franchises that came about, therefore 20th Century Fox is THE MOST EVIL FILM STUDIO TO HAVE EVER EXISTED"
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:31 am

Flynn wrote:20th Century Fox is THE MOST EVIL FILM STUDIO TO HAVE EVER EXISTED

I'm pretty sure that's actually true though...
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Flynn wrote:Surprise, surprise, an actor who's entire career was defined by one particular role tried to petition to get back into that role so he could have a decent job again. Sure, it was unprofessional, but it's a bit odd to try and blame him for trying to stop a whole bunch of things that no-one prior to 1989 could've predicted happening in the first place.

Did you miss the part about there being no B:TAS and no Harley Quinn? I've seen people posting in response to various LBM-related content on a few sites that would at least get their hackles up if they knew that Condiment King only exists because Adam West was foiled.

And I get the whole idea of wanting to get some sort of cameo role (happens all the time in genre projects), but he was born in 1928. That made him _sixty_ when he was trying to get Hollywood to agree that only the third Batman should ever play Batman again (yeah, that's another reason I think he needs to be cut off from Batman-related projects). Notice there's no mention of him asking for any of the other cast to be involved, either. Just himself. It was just a desperate act of a desperate hack-tor who's still kicking and screaming about being shuffled off into obsolescence, and I'm not even remotely surprised that he mostly only gets cast in roles related to the fact that he once played Batman.

...and there'd be no Star Trek: The Motionless Picture...

Wait, was this supposed to be a pro or a con? Because keep in mind that the fact that this film even exists is the only reason they ever released a Director's Cut. With an additional half hour of Spock floating through V'Ger. And no music to help draw you back to sanity. And no cool, redeeming additions like a
Spoiler: show
dream about a unicorn that helps explain everything.
PurpleDave

Postby Flynn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:38 pm

PurpleDave wrote:Did you miss the part about there being no B:TAS and no Harley Quinn?

Did you miss my point that no-one in 1989 would've possibly known about B:TAS coming into existence, so criticizing West for its potential non-existence is balmy?

Like, really, I'm not trying to defend the stint, but calling West a "festering sack of tools" for it is to say the least an exaggeration.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Flynn wrote:Did you miss my point that no-one in 1989 would've possibly known about B:TAS coming into existence, so criticizing West for its potential non-existence is balmy?

Does Danilo Ilić get a free pass because his plot got a teensy bit out of hand?

Like, really, I'm not trying to defend the stint, but calling West a "festering sack of tools" for it is to say the least an exaggeration.

Let me know when he admits that his campaign was a mistake. We've got nearly three decades of hindsight to work with. Sure, it wouldn't have been obvious back when it happened, but it's pretty clear today what would, and wouldn't, have happened. And he still treats his fans like garbage. The outcome of that is generally much easier to predict.
PurpleDave

Postby Flynn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

PurpleDave wrote:Does Danilo Ilić get a free pass because his plot got a teensy bit out of hand?

We're talking about Batman, dude. Get some perspective.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Previous

Return to Reviews