Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: Marvel's Ant-Man

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: Marvel's Ant-Man

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Trooper10 wrote:But I'm not sure that there is any super-hero movie where the physics make sense..... except for Spider man. Don't you dare say anything bad about Spidey....

He sucks, for another 84 years, four months, three days, and 45-ish minutes. And Batman beats him hands-down on the physics front (no fingers being sticky _through_ cloth).
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Flynn » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:50 pm

sparkart wrote:I don't see what the hurry is in getting the female lead in the super-suit. You want to see everything in the first movie? Imagine if the Star Wars Original Trilogy showed the training of a Jedi, a light-saber duel, and the destruction of the Death Star in one movie, instead of three...uhhhh, wait, BAD example.

The issue is less this particular example, but how it fits in to the larger context of the MCU. These films have been going on for 7 years now, and not once have we had a female-led film. We've had some strong female characters, to be sure (though still a troublingly small number in comparison to the male heroes), but there's an obvious problem of marginalization going on when you've got a total of 22 films either made or in the planning process, and only one of those is female led (and it's not even out for another three years!).

Ultron32 wrote:I don't think this movie should be blamed for the problems of a bunch of other movies.

Oh, it absolutely should. Sexism isn't just about a particular movie going "women are bad!", it's also about a wider culture of tropes and formulas being carried out without any particular thought about what it means. If Marvel had a solid ratio of male-led/female-led films and was generally on top of things in terms of feminist issues, Ant-Man sidelining Hope would probably not be a big issue, but because Marvel has consistently been coming up short with these things, Ant-Man becomes yet another symptom. The context of the world this film is being released in matters.

Although really what other Marvel movie has had a capable female character who is not put in a lead role?

Besides the fact the argument was highlighting a trope common in action movies and not specifically Marvel movies, this right here is part of the problem. Rarely do we ever get capable characters in the Marvel films, and when we do they're either love interests or sidekicks (Avengers is the possible exception since it functions as an ensemble movie, but it still sticks out that Widow has comparatively little to do in both films and has a love story foisted on her in the second--not to mention the more obvious issue that on a team of six she's the only female character).

You could argue that there isn't space in Ant-Man for it to become a female-led movie, but that begs the question--why Ant-Man in the first place, then? Why not Black Widow, or Ms. Marvel, or She-Hulk, or, heck, Squirrel-Girl? Why is there only the one female-led movie planned in the next four years, and why has Marvel (and Fiege by association) been so reluctant to give strong prominence to its female characters?

Again, it's not that Ant-Man is egregiously sexist on its own merits. It's that it contributes to a wider and far more pervasive kind of sexism underlying modern mainstream Hollywood that absolutely begs to be corrected.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:39 am

If it's not something wrong with <i>this</i> movie as a movie, then it shouldn't need to be mentioned in a review of <i>this</i> movie as a movie. The director, cast, special effects crew, stunt doubles, etc; the people who made it, did not make a mistake.
You could bring that up in a review of MCU Phase 1-2 or a review of modern hollywood at large but it is not a problem with this movie.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Guys things are going to clear up soon. Next thing you know there will be a ton of female leading roles in upcoming marvel movies. And there was a MCU movie that was made that had a female leading role Elektra.
I'm just a man. A man trying to express my opinion.
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 pm

And I also have another question can flying ants really fly that high up into the sky as they did when chasing the helicopter? And what were the easter eggs in the movie because I don't think I saw them
I'm just a man. A man trying to express my opinion.
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:01 pm

LEGO StarWars Guru wrote:And there was a MCU movie that was made that had a female leading role Elektra.

Not an MCU movie. That was done by Fox, and it was so bad that they had to start issuing format apologies to anyone who happened to glance at the poster*.

*Not remotely true
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:49 am

Ultron32 wrote:If it's not something wrong with <i>this</i> movie as a movie, then it shouldn't need to be mentioned in a review of <i>this</i> movie as a movie. The director, cast, special effects crew, stunt doubles, etc; the people who made it, did not make a mistake.
You could bring that up in a review of MCU Phase 1-2 or a review of modern hollywood at large but it is not a problem with this movie.

It IS something wrong with THIS movie, that's the point. You don't get the point, so please, move along.

Also, the MCU is about the one series of films where you can blame other films for what happens in THIS film, as they are all over seen by a singular driver and other unseen entities. You know, the reason the original director of THIS movie walked.
'Resistance is Futile. We will add your Bricks and Minifigures to our own. Your Bothans will adapt to service us."
"I AM the Law!" Image >> [email protected] <<
buriedbybricks

Postby Flynn » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:08 pm

LEGO StarWars Guru wrote:Guys things are going to clear up soon. Next thing you know there will be a ton of female leading roles in upcoming marvel movies.

Again, there's 22 movies in the MCU that have either been released or are in the planning process, and only one of those (Captain Marvel) is female led, and it's not due to be released until 2018. If Marvel really is in a rush to get a ton of female leading roles out there, they're certainly not doing a good job showing it, and personally I'd rather not wait until 2020 or whenever to see this supposed glut come out.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Previous

Return to Reviews