Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75090 Ezra's Speeder Bike

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 75090 Ezra's Speeder Bike

Postby Staff » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:39 pm

There was a really big oversight in the initial release wave for Star Wars Rebels set, and that was Sabine, our pink-wearing, graffiti-painting, kind of awesome Mandalorian. She was a main character from the start, but since there's some sort of LEGO rule about only allowing one female character per year in Star Wars sets, we had to wait for the next release, and thank the Maker that we were gifted with a Hera at all.

Okay, that may have more than my usual amount of snark, but it's nonsense that we didn't get the whole main cast released in the initial wave (and LEGO certainly isn't alone, as Hasbro has been making fools of themselves by only releasing a single figure for Hera and Sabine, only in a single scale, and saying "that's enough" before editing the answer). While Rebels is mainly about Ezra, the namesake of this set, his relationship with Sabine is pretty central to a lot of things in the show now (and likely moreso in the future). The cartoon pretty evenly involves the main characters, so we needed Sabine in the lineup to get to some serious builds.

This $20 set comes in at a whopping 253 parts, three minifigs, and a mysterious sense of déjà vu when you put together the same speeder bike twice. By itself, it's sort of a forgettable sort of set, and I know that the only reason I wanted it was for Sabine and the ability to make jokes about a certain 90s alternative band that more people know the name of than know any of the songs they sang.

I was tempted to put the lyrics for "A Lifetime" here, but that song is just sort of depressing and they never had a specific R.E.M. song in mind when they referenced them in the lyrics.

75090 - Minifigs

We get Ezra with that weird binocular saber, Sabine that looks like a mid-30s mom that's dying her hair to look edgy, and a Stormtrooper in that new style we also get in the Battle Pack.

75090 - Ezra

Ezra is technically a "unique" minifig in the set, in that he doesn't come with that doofy looking helmet from the Ghost set. However, since that set also included a hairpiece, it's really just the same figure. It's kind of a curious thing in the LEGO-verse, since Ezra is, what, a 14 or 15-year-old kid in the show? He's got a young but decidedly adult look here.

75090 - Ezra Alt Face

Same alt-face, same torso with that bird pattern. There's not a whole lot to add here that wasn't already said.

75090 - Sabine

Obviously, since this is the only set for Sabine, and it was late, you'd think I'd be just ecstatic that we finally got the character... but there's just something so wrong with this character. One is that the minifigure makes her look too old, which is a strange thing, as age rarely factors into minifigure appearance. We somehow have a figure that's managed to put the minimum amount of detail on a face in a lego world where the details have too many details.

Here's what Sabine looks like in the show...

SabineFullBody

Sabine has a very distinctive look and ethnicity, and is represented as an Polynesians/Asian person-of-color, which fits to what we know of Mandos like Jango, who I suppose got similarly bad treatment... along with Clone Troopers... maybe I don't want to crack that can of worms. This was a chance for LEGO to mix up the palette a bit and give us a great and unique character, and they didn't do it.

75090 - Sabine Back

Her minifig has much more of a soccer mom vibe who's trying to dye her hair so her kids think she's cool. You see that character and you know there's a minivan or a crossover SUV in the picture somewhere. Part is that Rebels has an aesthetic closer to Clone Wars, but LEGO made the humans look like regular minifigs. That means that figures like Chopper, Zeb, and Hera look right but Ezra, Sabine, and Kanan look off. She somehow feels even worse, since the armor is far too gray, and doesn't end up looking like the character, even translated to minifig form.

Investing into character variety is actually fairly important to how LEGO does things, and they've done it elsewhere for several characters. This specific profile will come up again when Dawn of Justice or Justice League comes up and we get our first Jason Momoa figure... not to mention various other selections in the Marvel and DC Super Heroes world that are becoming decidedly more diverse. Regardless about how any of us feel about the whole Yellow vs. Fleshie fight, it's been settled, and LEGO needs to continue on getting better at it.

75090 - Stormtrooper Unhelmeted

The Stormtrooper is the same as what we get in the Imperial Troop Transport Battle Pack, and what also appears in the AT-DP and the Ghost. Not much more to say about the guy that hasn't been said.

75090 - Speeder Bikes

The set itself is basically just two speeder bikes, one Rebel and one Imperial, but identical in part makeup. I mean totally identical... you basically repeat the build twice and just use different colors, which really makes this kind of a bummer of a build overall. The first bike is fun, but about halfway through the other one, you're like "wait a tick" and realize it's totally the same.

75090 - Speeder Bikes Front

The actual bikes are very well built and solid, and a different sort of build than we've seen in the eleven million or so different speeder bike builds. I'd go count them up, but they're rarely in a set all by themselves (or in the name), and honestly, I'm just lazy. Well, I'm lazy for things like that.

75090 - Speeder Bikes Sides

We did get a speeder bike in the Shadowtroopers battle pack, which was half a good speeder. There's much more effort in this set, thanks to both the increase in price and the decrease in minifigurishness (is that a word; if not, I'm declaring it a word). There are a couple of stickers... a detail one on the back and a Rebel logo on the side.

75090 - Speeder Bikes Back

You know, I'm not an expert in rebellions or insurrections (barring my role in the "Canada Incident of 2011"), but it strikes me that if you're putting your logo on the side of a machine, when your entire role is basically to hide and hit from the shadows, you've basically just stamped your vehicle with a "put bomb here" marker. Eventually, sure, the rebels will have bases and starships and things like that, so it's a bit more crucial... but this thing can't exactly be used for a getaway now that they've made it uniquely identifiable.

75090 - Speeder Bikes Underside

A few years back, the part makeup would be pretty interesting in this set as well, but that new part smell has worn off the inverted 90 degree plates and the new stud-blasters have been in everything. The curved tiles are quite nice, and still fun to get, and are probably the best value elements in here. There are some unique build techniques here as well, but not enough to get you to want to do it more than once (or twice, I suppose). Ultimately, the set boils down to "Sabine is the reason you'll get this set."

Nothing else about it is spectacular or flashy, and the rest of the figures aren't exactly unique. If you really like speeder bikes, these will add to the unique element in your layout, but for parts there's not a huge value, despite the number of parts you get for $20. We get Sabine, but she's far from perfect. We get good parts value, but it's a lot of smaller parts or non-unique things, and we get a couple other characters, but nothing that you can't get elsewhere.

That makes this a pretty standard three out of five, as much "meh" as it is "wow." I'd like to knock it more for Sabine's look, but I'm glad to have her, even if inaccurate. So that's more of a soapbox penalty.

What I liked

• We finally get Sabine

• Good value on the number of parts for the money, with some nice green, dishes, and tile slopes

• The speeders are built well and have a unique design, and are fun to build... once

What I didn't like

• Sabine doesn't look right, and doesn't look at all like a LEGO representation of her character (coloring issues aside, just doesn't look like a "young" character); Ezra suffers from a similar age issue

• That part value is diminished by the number of small parts and technic elements; there are some interesting pieces in there

• Maybe the speeders are the same in the show, I'm not sure, but I kind of wish there was more variety between the bikes than just color

Verdict: 3 out of 5. You can pick up 75090 Ezra's Speeder Bikes right now on Amazon, at the time of this writing carrying a nice 20% off.

Ezra Bike
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/reviews/2015/03/30/review-75090-ezras-speeder-bike/
Staff

Re: Review: 75090 Ezra's Speeder Bike

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm

I like how Lego didn't even include her helmet in here when she clearly wears it throughout most of the battles. And they only include her helmet in a $120 set. She does look a lot like a soccer mom. This set is o.k and you were right about the whole rebuilding speeder thing. If they sold just the Imperial bike, I would buy lots of those. The binocular thing is because his lightsaber is also a stun blaster. I know talk about something that can only be done when Disney takes over StarWars. Those blasters though. Where's Brickarms when you need them?!?!?
I'm just a man. A man trying to express my opinion.
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby phoenixhawk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 am

I wanted to like this set, especially because of Sabine. She's one of the best characters in the new show, but when I saw the final product, like the review said...she is just not correct. I was thinking of getting the Rebels sets, but I'll pass now. They didn't even include Sabine's helmet...huh? Talk about missing the point. Sometimes LEGO hits home runs, sometimes they strike out...this one feels like a swinging bunt single...they tried...sort of got it right...but not at all what could have been the optimal result. Maybe on a good sale or with a good discount, but otherwise, I will pass.
phoenixhawk

Postby Trooper10 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 am

At $16 this makes quite a decent set (as its been on Amazon for a while)- I've only seen the opening episode of Rebels so for me the Sabine and Ezra are great as generic figs and who doesn't need more stormtroopers? I kind of want the figs from the other sets containing the "good guys", but don't know what I'd do with all that white stuff.... may build an Outriderhttp://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Outrider?
But yes on the EXACT repeat build...I recommend anyone buying this set to try to build the white and green speeders simultaneously, one with the left and the other with your right hand (apologies to anyone with less than 2 hands)....it will add interest to the build.
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:10 am

While I can always use more stormtroopers, but there's a far more economical way to get them right now...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby LN.01354 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

It's such a shame. They managed to take the special look of Sabine, with her ethnicity, pink armor, etc., and just make her look....wrong. And of course they couldn't give her PINK armor--everyone knows boys don't buy anything pink. :roll:
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
LN.01354

Postby Roarsack » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm noticing a strange trend of de-coloring here. Sabine's armor is maroon instead of pink and Ezra's hair is black instead of blue. Don't know what's up with that, considering Lego's history of making vehicles unnecessarily colorful. Sure, recently they have started to care about accuracy more but it looks like now they're heading for the other end of the spectrum.

And I agree that they completely hit the mark with Sabine. The hairpiece doesn't look remotely accurate, too top-heavy. The torso, although simplistic in the show, could have used some more detail in my opinion. Also, I'm not sure her arms are that bare to justify peachy arms instead of grey or something. Maybe they could have even used the two-tone molding, as seen in the Simpsons figures' arms.
Roarsack

Postby JustPlainJim » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:52 am

Gonna get on a bit of a soapbox, myself...

Lemme start this off with the disclaimer that I haven't seen Rebels yet. I also haven't seen Clone Wars, and I now have zero excuse, since it's on Netflix.

Before I read your review, I would have given this set a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5. I really dig the speeder designs and I don't mind the white duplicate so much for a couple reasons. One, it gives me some sense of standardization in the universe, which makes me content on some cosmic level. The bigger reason is that when I get the urge to make another speeder for my Star Wars RPG characters, I can do a color-swap and have another speeder that looks legit and not some cobbled-together mess like some of my creations. But, like you said, it would be nice to have some differences.

My biggest reason for buying the set was Sabine. Not because of attachment to the character, but more because she's a female character with a fleshtone head in a set that's under $50. To me, that's a rather rare thing, so I mostly got her for the parts. The hair looked kinda cool on the box, but... yeah, even without the attachment to the character, the hair looks like a blue blob creature landed on her head and happened to be feathered in the back.
And now that I've read the review, yes, this figure is being used as parts because it looks nothing like the animated character. That one shot you have in the review reminded me of everything that could go right in a character design. I saw her and immediately got a feel for her attitude and found myself wanting to know more. The Lego fig has none of that.

I guess my bog soapbox is that for several years now, the female characters were almost always limited to the high-dollar sets. Black Widow from the first Avengers series, Gamora from GotG, etc. Monster Hunters seemed good about that, except the villaines was only in the big monster house.
But this year? I'm seeing more and more female character and figs, and seeing more in the smaller sets, like this one. Even if the character looks... well, pathetic compared to her animated incarnation, I'm happy to see the Lego group at least trying to get more figures out there.

Now, if they could get more aliens and twi'leks in the cheap sets, I'd be even happier. :P
JustPlainJim

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:24 am

Yeah, Jim... I can relate to your argument. You're not alone on that soapbox here.
dWhisper

Postby wace mindu » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:59 pm

My main and only gripe with this set is that after 2 waves of SW Rebels, we still don't have Sabine's helmet. Whats up with that?
When I first saw that I immediately figured that LEGO was gonna put her and her helmet in big high priced set to make us get it, but in watching Rebels, I couldn't figure out what that could be....low and behold we get news of the summer 2015 lineup and there she is, helmet and all packaged with a large ( and ugly ) set..the imperial assualt carrier. Classy move LEGO!

I'll get it on the secondary market instead of wasting $$ on a ship thats grossly not to scale
wace mindu

Postby Zack509k » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:31 pm

JustPlainJim wrote:Gonna get on a bit of a soapbox, myself...

Lemme start this off with the disclaimer that I haven't seen Rebels yet. I also haven't seen Clone Wars, and I now have zero excuse, since it's on Netflix.

Before I read your review, I would have given this set a 3.5 or a 4 out of 5. I really dig the speeder designs and I don't mind the white duplicate so much for a couple reasons. One, it gives me some sense of standardization in the universe, which makes me content on some cosmic level. The bigger reason is that when I get the urge to make another speeder for my Star Wars RPG characters, I can do a color-swap and have another speeder that looks legit and not some cobbled-together mess like some of my creations. But, like you said, it would be nice to have some differences.

My biggest reason for buying the set was Sabine. Not because of attachment to the character, but more because she's a female character with a fleshtone head in a set that's under $50. To me, that's a rather rare thing, so I mostly got her for the parts. The hair looked kinda cool on the box, but... yeah, even without the attachment to the character, the hair looks like a blue blob creature landed on her head and happened to be feathered in the back.
And now that I've read the review, yes, this figure is being used as parts because it looks nothing like the animated character. That one shot you have in the review reminded me of everything that could go right in a character design. I saw her and immediately got a feel for her attitude and found myself wanting to know more. The Lego fig has none of that.

I guess my bog soapbox is that for several years now, the female characters were almost always limited to the high-dollar sets. Black Widow from the first Avengers series, Gamora from GotG, etc. Monster Hunters seemed good about that, except the villaines was only in the big monster house.
But this year? I'm seeing more and more female character and figs, and seeing more in the smaller sets, like this one. Even if the character looks... well, pathetic compared to her animated incarnation, I'm happy to see the Lego group at least trying to get more figures out there.

Now, if they could get more aliens and twi'leks in the cheap sets, I'd be even happier. :P

They're still doing the same thing however. Black Widow comes with the most expensive set in AOU. And especially with StarWars. The new $129.99 set that detaches the TIEs has Sabine's helmet, the only Rebels set so far to have her helmet! Who's going to pay $129.99 just to get her helmet?!? Can someone say ebay?
Check me out at legostarwars.com
Zack509k

Postby dWhisper » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:27 pm

ebay is probably the worst place to ever buy a part... I never want to say it.
dWhisper

Postby Zack509k » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Well it's one of the online selling sites that I actually have an account on. I don't have many accounts for legit lego resellers.
Check me out at legostarwars.com
Zack509k

Postby MCoad » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 am

I agree on the Sabine minifig, she looks like a soccer mom. Aside from coloring, details, etc., the soccer mom likeness is about proportion. Sabine has a narrow chin, kind of a triangular jaw. The Lego head is, of course, not triangular at all. Solution?
Well, looking at some similar minifigs: with the first Black Widow, the designers added lines to try to emphasize the cheekbones and the shape of the face (I'm still not sure if I like that one). On the new BW, there are no such lines. On Gamora, they added silvery lines around the cheekbone area, which match the facial markings of the character's look but also help define the face shape. I think Gamora was the best solution of those three, as it suggested the shape but didn't try to outline the whole thing. Lego has gone back and forth with this kind of thing, and it appears striking the right balance is difficult. Lately, they've put out heavily detailed faces (like Luke Skywalker from the Sandcrawler) and then stuff like this Sabine...
MCoad

Postby sparkart » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:41 am

I think the eyes make the biggest difference in the female minifigs. The larger, anime-ish eyes make the female figures cuter, like on the Exo-Force Hitomi or the Clone Wars females. I think Sabine would've looked better with larger eyes more faithful to her animated look, rather than the standard-ish LEGO proportioned eyes.
Last edited by sparkart on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparkart

Postby MCoad » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:31 pm

sparkart wrote:I think the eyes make a biggest difference in the female minifigs. The larger, anime-ish eyes make the female figures cuter, like on the Exo-Force Hitomi or the Clone Wars females. I think Sabine would've looked better with larger eyes more faithful to her animated look, rather than the standard-ish LEGO proportioned eyes.

I don't know. Personally, I don't want to see the Clone Wars-style minifig come back, for Rebels or ever. I'd rather have something that blends with the rest of my minifigs and the rest of Star Wars in particular.
On the other hand, the Hera minifig appears to have slightly larger eyes than the typical style, so you may be right about the style.
MCoad

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 pm

LEGO's implementation of the Clone War's style was a bigger issue than the actual style. On the show itself, and on the action figures based on it, it worked quite well. LEGO, not so much. There are ways they could have made it look better (and it frequently did look better on the more custom heads or aliens), LEGO just chose not to do it.

I also don't think they need to be cuter, per se, I think they just need to be a bit more faithful to the overall look. While the advance of details can be seen as good or bad, when a figure doesn't match that style, it sticks out (badly). Larger eyes might have helped to a point, but the coloring and the terrible armor are more like big pointers that everything else is off. I feel like coloring would have been the easiest fix, and then some better details for the face print after that. Sabine has full lips (that also have a more natural, non-lipstick color) and more angular eyes (befitting her heritage), and none of it carried here. Basically, all of the oversights point to each other about how bad it all is.
dWhisper

Return to Reviews