Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75058 MTT

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: 75058 MTT

Postby jjh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Love the reviews here. Most entertaining and honest Lego opinions out there. Never change.
jjh

Postby Flynn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:53 am

I have to say the "too many play features" complaint doesn't quite stick for me. On a basic level, I mean, these are toys for kids at all, so really as long as the play features are fun I don't see the issue-I think the original MTT is worth looking to here, 'cause that command center that opened up in the back was stupid as hell, but as a kid I loved it.

Now, I'd agree about it being important not to detract from the main set itself, but the thing is...every single play feature I see here (opening rack, panels to reveal command center, panels to reveal gunrack, flip-down panels on each side of the back, flip-down back to release vehicle) is also present on the 2007 model. Like, almost precisely. The only appreciable difference is that more of the back is devoted to the vehicle (the STAP in this case), but aside from that if we're going to criticize this model for too many play features, we might as well level the same remarks at the 2007 model.

No, the problem here seems to be just that this is a very poorly-constructed and poorly-designed set that tries too hard to be what the 2007 set was and can't make the strengths of that set work within the confines of what this one had to be. It's messy and unfocused...but I don't think the play features are at all the source of the problem here.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:11 pm

How come you guys haven't done a review on the AT-AT? There are some sets you guys haven't made reviews of
I'm just a man. A man trying to express my opinion.
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Actually I just checked the reviews and i couldn't find AT-AT. Why haven't you guys done any reviews on any of the AT-ATs? I feel hurt. :'(
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:02 pm

'Resistance is Futile. We will add your Bricks and Minifigures to our own. Your Bothans will adapt to service us."
"I AM the Law!" Image >> [email protected] <<
buriedbybricks

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:05 pm

Really?
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:11 pm

I know I've been a real turd before but that, that was unnecessary.
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:14 pm

It's been really difficult for us to resist reviewing any AT-AT's over the years, specifically so you could eventually join and it would somehow hurt your feelings for some reason.

Gotta say, worth it.
'Resistance is Futile. We will add your Bricks and Minifigures to our own. Your Bothans will adapt to service us."
"I AM the Law!" Image >> [email protected] <<
buriedbybricks

Postby LEGO StarWars Guru » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:17 pm

I never insulted you so why do you come at me?
LEGO StarWars Guru

Postby Flynn » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 am

Just noticed this-

LEGO StarWars Guru wrote:I got that set this past Christmas, and the cockpit just sucks. There are only two mini figures that you can fit in there and are so close together

Wait, you can fit two minifigures in there? Isn't that a step up from, like, all the previous AT-ATs that could only ever fit one?

(EDIT: Apparently the motorized one could fit two, but just barely)
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 am

LEGO StarWars Guru wrote:I never insulted you so why do you come at me?

Because that's what he's on staff for, he's the official insulter. He actually kind of slacked off here, because he wasn't insulting you, he was mocking you, and that's different. You were saying you personally felt hurt because of a gap in our coverage. More than that, you did it off-topic to derail a thread. If bbb was doing his job, he would have insulted you and then issued a temporary ban and warning. Let me be very clear... it will happen the next time.

As for our review policy, we've covered this several times: we review sets that we purchase the vast majority of the time. While LEGO has occasionally provided us with a set for review (and we disclose when they do), most of the time we purchase them out of our own pockets for the reviews here. That means there are sets we aren't going to review for any number of reasons.

A lot of the time, we are already buying sets we don't want (*cough* MTT *cough*) just to cover it here, but sometimes, that just doesn't happen. The MTT is one of those sets. I have the motorized version and like it, and haven't ever been swayed to purchase one of the other ones (especially the last one, since it came with stuff in a battle pack and nothing special). The most recent one we just haven't gotten around to yet, and that simply is what it is.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:44 pm

LEGO StarWars Guru wrote:I don't understand why everyone hates the PT. I personally liked them all, and don't understand everyone's hatred of the PT.

To properly address this, we'd need to know what age demographic you belong to. ;)
Inzane

Previous

Return to Reviews