Page 3 of 3

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 pm
by dWhisper
Jedi Scout Fighter isn't too bad, actually. I'm working on the review for that one in the near future.

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:47 pm
by LN.01354
Jedi Scout Fighter isn't too bad, actually. I'm working on the review for that one in the near future


Seriously? That thing is the biggest cash grab I have ever seen! The red pylons tantalize those who are out to make Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, and what about the RA-7 and Ithorian. Looks like they'd go great with the Sandcrawler and Cantina, respectively....So strange; all of those figures/pieces correspond to another set from this year! Coincidence!

However, I respect your judgment and am sure that you have some good reasons. :)

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 pm
by dWhisper
Didn't say it was great... just not that bad. Interesting build, and has a lot of prospects if you decide to not build the set and make a Jetfire MOC instead. Because, for some reason, that's what building it reminded me of.

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 pm
by onions
Faefrost wrote:I think I can at least explain the "saucer seperation" feature, or why the cockpit jetisons. It is for alternate display when docked to the Ghost. When you pop off the cockpit you can spin it around and dock it to the Ghost with Engines facing rearward like it appears in some of the Ghosts concept art. (There are also pics of it docked nose out so it may vary in the show?)

Image

Still overpriced for such an ugly little ship. It should have been part of the Ghost set to begin with.


it sort of makes sense that they would show the cockpit being removable but if you do that, what the hell are you supposed to do with the separated cockpit now?

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:47 pm
by banthafodder
It connects to the rear of the AT- AT so it looks like its crapping out rebels.

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm
by onions
banthafodder wrote:It connects to the rear of the AT- AT so it looks like its crapping out rebels.


i will do this for when i review the at-at

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm
by RfAurora
dWhisper wrote:Didn't say it was great... just not that bad. Interesting build, and has a lot of prospects if you decide to not build the set and make a Jetfire MOC instead. Because, for some reason, that's what building it reminded me of.

Jetfire, as in the Autobot Jetfire, or some other Jetfire?

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:48 am
by dWhisper
The Autobot

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 am
by phoenixhawk
I can see Jetfire in there...especially if it's a Cybertronian style jet mode :)

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:22 am
by dWhisper
Don't want to give away too much of my review, but it's who I kept thinking about during the first three bags of the build. I kind of wanted to just stop and try and make a Jetfire MOC instead.

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm
by Blackbird71
The more I looked at this set, the more I got a sense of deja vu.

Then I remembered this old toy from my childhood (if anyone else out there remembers the cartoon "MASK"):

http://www.virtualtoychest.co.uk/m/mask/maskmeteor/maskmeteor.html
http://mobile-armored-strike-kommand.blogspot.com/2009/04/meteor.html

It's not quite close enough to be a direct copy, but it does make me wonder whether the "Rebels" designers spent a lot of time watching 80s cartoons.

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm
by Solo
Considering the goofy Kenner mini vehicles that are popping up in Rebel I don't doubt for a second the designers are children of the 80s, but it's barely close enough to even call that an influence. All I see is the escape pod from Alien with a B17's cockpit and ball turrets and the Falcon's side hatches. It helps if you can see just how much is Phantom and how much is Ghost -Image

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm
by Zack509k
onions wrote:
Faefrost wrote:I think I can at least explain the "saucer seperation" feature, or why the cockpit jetisons. It is for alternate display when docked to the Ghost. When you pop off the cockpit you can spin it around and dock it to the Ghost with Engines facing rearward like it appears in some of the Ghosts concept art. (There are also pics of it docked nose out so it may vary in the show?)

Image

Still overpriced for such an ugly little ship. It should have been part of the Ghost set to begin with.


it sort of makes sense that they would show the cockpit being removable but if you do that, what the hell are you supposed to do with the separated cockpit now?


This is true. But in the show it can go both ways. So, for the most part, I'm o.k. with it.