Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75048 The Phantom

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Jedi Scout Fighter isn't too bad, actually. I'm working on the review for that one in the near future.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby LN.01354 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Jedi Scout Fighter isn't too bad, actually. I'm working on the review for that one in the near future

Seriously? That thing is the biggest cash grab I have ever seen! The red pylons tantalize those who are out to make Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter, and what about the RA-7 and Ithorian. Looks like they'd go great with the Sandcrawler and Cantina, respectively....So strange; all of those figures/pieces correspond to another set from this year! Coincidence!

However, I respect your judgment and am sure that you have some good reasons. :)
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
LN.01354

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Didn't say it was great... just not that bad. Interesting build, and has a lot of prospects if you decide to not build the set and make a Jetfire MOC instead. Because, for some reason, that's what building it reminded me of.
dWhisper

Postby onions » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Faefrost wrote:I think I can at least explain the "saucer seperation" feature, or why the cockpit jetisons. It is for alternate display when docked to the Ghost. When you pop off the cockpit you can spin it around and dock it to the Ghost with Engines facing rearward like it appears in some of the Ghosts concept art. (There are also pics of it docked nose out so it may vary in the show?)

Still overpriced for such an ugly little ship. It should have been part of the Ghost set to begin with.

it sort of makes sense that they would show the cockpit being removable but if you do that, what the hell are you supposed to do with the separated cockpit now?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby banthafodder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:47 pm

It connects to the rear of the AT- AT so it looks like its crapping out rebels.
banthafodder

Postby onions » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:23 pm

banthafodder wrote:It connects to the rear of the AT- AT so it looks like its crapping out rebels.

i will do this for when i review the at-at
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby RfAurora » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:09 pm

dWhisper wrote:Didn't say it was great... just not that bad. Interesting build, and has a lot of prospects if you decide to not build the set and make a Jetfire MOC instead. Because, for some reason, that's what building it reminded me of.

Jetfire, as in the Autobot Jetfire, or some other Jetfire?
RfAurora

Postby dWhisper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:48 am

The Autobot
dWhisper

Postby phoenixhawk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 am

I can see Jetfire in there...especially if it's a Cybertronian style jet mode :)
phoenixhawk

Postby dWhisper » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:22 am

Don't want to give away too much of my review, but it's who I kept thinking about during the first three bags of the build. I kind of wanted to just stop and try and make a Jetfire MOC instead.
dWhisper

Postby Blackbird71 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

The more I looked at this set, the more I got a sense of deja vu.

Then I remembered this old toy from my childhood (if anyone else out there remembers the cartoon "MASK"):

http://www.virtualtoychest.co.uk/m/mask/maskmeteor/maskmeteor.html
http://mobile-armored-strike-kommand.blogspot.com/2009/04/meteor.html

It's not quite close enough to be a direct copy, but it does make me wonder whether the "Rebels" designers spent a lot of time watching 80s cartoons.
Blackbird71

Postby Solo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Considering the goofy Kenner mini vehicles that are popping up in Rebel I don't doubt for a second the designers are children of the 80s, but it's barely close enough to even call that an influence. All I see is the escape pod from Alien with a B17's cockpit and ball turrets and the Falcon's side hatches. It helps if you can see just how much is Phantom and how much is Ghost -Image
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Zack509k » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

onions wrote:
Faefrost wrote:I think I can at least explain the "saucer seperation" feature, or why the cockpit jetisons. It is for alternate display when docked to the Ghost. When you pop off the cockpit you can spin it around and dock it to the Ghost with Engines facing rearward like it appears in some of the Ghosts concept art. (There are also pics of it docked nose out so it may vary in the show?)

Still overpriced for such an ugly little ship. It should have been part of the Ghost set to begin with.

it sort of makes sense that they would show the cockpit being removable but if you do that, what the hell are you supposed to do with the separated cockpit now?

This is true. But in the show it can go both ways. So, for the most part, I'm o.k. with it.
Check me out at legostarwars.com
Zack509k

Previous

Return to Reviews