[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - redesign in the works
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

redesign in the works

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

redesign in the works

Postby onions » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm

onions
Damp Noodle

Re: redesign in the works

Postby onions » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:02 pm

also, this is your opportunity to point out any deficiencies or areas that need improvement. or even a wishlist of what you'd like to see.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Flynn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Flynn

Postby volumex » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:22 am

Upgrade? when this in the pipeline?
volumex

Postby onions » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:35 am

i'm hoping to get all the changes in by december 1. it'll be a slow upgrade process.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 am

This all looks amazing. All of your upgrades basically put more info at users' fingertips in essentially the same amount of space. LOVE the slideshow featured articles. I especially like that it allows a little more compartmentalization on the front page, so folks can dive right into reviews, news, or forum stuff right away and all at once without sifting through several blog entries.

With the added writers, it seems that MOC's and sales are being posted with greater frequency, too. Would it be possible/worthwhile to add a similar feedbox for those areas (the way there is a "Star Wars News" and "Reviews" box)?

Also, it would be nice to have an obvious direct link somewhere on the front page to buy FBTB shirts, especially if there are plans for more schwag further down the road (mugs? thumb drives? aprons? commemorative china plates?).

Lastly, I'll just echo Flynn on the themes front and say I think it's a great site element that's worth keeping. I certainly utilize it and change my theme around from time to time, the designs so far have been quite clever. If it's possible to implement them with the new layout, I'm all for that.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby elijah » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:41 am

Great idea. i think the site would look good modeled like ITjive.com here's the link

Also i think that a Picture up the top would be good. Also you may like to change the Star background. And while your at it you may also add new Smilies because although we have quite a lot there old and a new "face might be nice". Also if you allowed avatars that would be awesome but the other side says that if you have avatars people then will have very different ones making the page look messy. Also you wont to put the links to the forum's on one side. Then Add the Links to the other side below A contests box which contains the latest contests pictures and news. And change the link to Lego Star wars it looks old.

Also if you Change pictures up the top every now and then the sit will look really good.
The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this
elijah

Postby onions » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:08 am

i'm going to take a wild guess and say that itjive is your site?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Alfa Animations » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:22 am

the stars are fine but add different things like maybe a space ship, an explosion(they fix every thing< transformers for example... oh, no, sorry to fix that is a to bigger ask....) and maybe some Bricks
Alfa
Alfa Animations

Postby RJH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:23 am

Hi, my first post. I only joined to read what you have planned. As an avid reader and blogger myself. I know how hard it is to get the right look for your site. Having seen the mock up you have done, I think you have achieved a fantastic balance and look forward to seeing it live.

Having just recently updated my own blog with a new theme I know how much work is involved and my site isn't very old compared to yours so do not envy the work you have to do.
RJH

Postby JamesBenjamin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:30 am

I like it.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Knobby Plastic » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:22 am

Looks quite nice, I'm going to miss the big photo on the top, but I guess that has to go...

__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Postby ka.lego » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 am

ka.lego

Postby akunthita » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:33 am

I very much like the new layout! Very clean, easy on the eyes, and easy to find things! In response to ka.lego's 3rd concern (which I think is very valid), is it possible to have a scrolling news section at the same time with full-length posts? Keep the homepage as it is, but if users click in the NEWS button on the navigation bar, it would take them to all the posts in the previous blog-format. I know this can be done in the theme I'm using in wordpress, so it should be possible. This way users who prefer to see all posts in the old format would only have to click once. Other than this, I very much like the new layout! :p

P.S.: Just one more thing: the word "REVIEWS" in the to navigation bar is mis-spelled. Just want to make sure you catch that. ;)
Last edited by akunthita on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tips & Tricks with LEGO Bricks!
akunthita

Postby onions » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 am

specific article pages aside, 'page 2' is the third most visited page on the site, behind 'forums' and the front page. so there is a need to provide more content on the homepage.

you hit the nail on the head about the 'news' tab: it will take you to a catch-all page encompassing all the news from all themes, it will be a condensed listing with each article showing a thumbnail, headline, and teaser text. i have considered keeping the old blog format at a specific url so if enough people clamor for it, i'll implement it.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby atxdad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 am

I am one of those daily visitors that rarely leaves the front page, so a 'headlines only' front page is just going to create more work for me to click through to actual content. Keeping a 'blog format' page that I can link to directly is a great idea. Thanks for your consideration!
atxdad

Postby elijah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:07 am

The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this
elijah

Postby Datoth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:30 am

The new site mock-up looks great! I always appreciated the featured article bar but felt it contained too few items.

My primary reading method for the site is via RSS feed ... do you plan to continue to publish an RSS feed of all of your articles? Some folks may also appreciate RSS feeds for certain things (news, reviews, star wars only, etc.) as well.

I'm looking forward to December 1st! XD

--
Datoth aka Jason
Datoth

Postby Stardusty » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:07 am

Woah! That looks VERY nice!
I just hope ads won't ruin the look of the page.

I can't wait to see new site in action. It's going to look great!
Stardusty

Postby fallenangel327 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Maybe this is just a nostalgia thing, but I miss the old blue-and-white interface, with Greg's trench run panel at the top and no 'shininess' to be found. A nice, simple forum that looks as if it belonged on Windows 98... ?
fallenangel327

Next

Return to Suggestions