[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - What's the ETA on those avatars?
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

What's the ETA on those avatars?

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Re: What's the ETA on those avatars?

Postby vynsane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:22 am

ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

|
vynsane

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:31 am

Solo

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:39 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Joedward » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Perhaps an odd observation, who knows, but just wondering if anyone else shares my view.

Is it just me, or does anyone else just completely forget about the issue until some clot drags this thread back again? Sure, it'd be nice to have them, but it doesn't really detract from the forum, not having them.

And for what it's worth to all those who have a problem with not being able to make your own, just go and have a look through, not just the old forum, but any forum that allows user submitted avatars. For every one that was created brilliantly, and is nice to look at, there are countless more that just plain suck.
It just seems nicer when there's a more uniform feel around the place.

So for the time being, why does it really matter? We can't have our own. Period. And as for when we'll actually get them from whoever ios creating them (if at all)... They'll be done when they're done.

And lastly, @ RocketClone, honestly, what was the point of bringing this back after two months dead?
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(TT=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Robzula » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Turkguy19 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Turkguy19

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

Thank you Robzula, I was about to post something to the same effect.

Avatars, by their very definition, are meant to be an expression of our individuality. It isn't really a coincidence that the people with obnoxious flashing avatars often make obnoxious posts, that people with sloppy looking avatars posts' are often riddled with spelling/grammitical errors, or that people with nice looking avatar's tend to be more articulate.

When I look at a forum with a wide variety of avatars, I see a community of unique people that, despite their obvious differences, have come together to share in a common interest. Variety and individuality is the spice of life. I can understand the desire to censor inappropriate or overly obnoxious avatars, but stifling peoples' creativity and/or forcing them to conform to some pre-set list of avatars doesn't really seem like the answer to me. I'm all for size and content limitations so long as you still allow for the freedom of expression of one's individuality.

There's a pretty obvious comparison that I'm intentionally avoiding here because it isn't the tone I wish to set. The intended tone is thus: while I would like avatars and certainly think they would be a boon to the community, it's not like I view them as something that is necessary or "a right."

The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby bigospedros » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

i don't miss having avatars at all ...

bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Turk made a very valid point that completely negates the anti-individual angle on the avatar stance: the signature field does the job of avatars and does it better by allowing you to express your uniqueness by way of image, text, links, or any combination of them. Has this not occurred to anyone who desperately wants an avatar and is feeling particularly oppressed by the forum wide decision?

What is the real issue here? Is it about the placement of your personal image on the page? Does it absolutely need to be next to your comments and not below? Or maybe one image isn't enough for you to express yourself? It was a design choice, and like many others on the site (button style, emoticons, layout, fonts in the banners, background images...) it's not up to the members. We have plans for them as explained repeatedly but for now they will remain absent.

You don't have to like it but you have to understand that complaining about it over and over is fruitless. If this minor aspect of the interface is a deal-breaker for you, or you think that our exasperated responses to the same inane issue over and over are too off putting, you are free to log out and find a forum who's own brand of tyranny meshes better with your opinion of how one should be run.

Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 pm

I think I know how next year's April Fools Day is gonna go down:

Admin Announcement: Hey, guess what, you can now have whatever avatars you like!!
Us: :D :shock: XD :O :)

Mods: April Fools, suckas, gotcha!!
Others: :facepalm: >8( >:( :'( >8(
Me: Called It!

The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Jabba the Taff

Postby vynsane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

okay, last post here - everyone has brought up thoughtful, articulate points since my last post and i understand all points of view here. it merely struck me as odd that avatars are such a divisive issue, but i see where everyone is coming from.

and i didn't meant to come off as threatening - the responses i initially received were rather curt, and didn't feel welcoming to someone who is new. i figured it was a good idea to remind people that at the end of the day new and repeat traffic is what keeps sites like this on the web, and when people are met with answers that i initially received, it's off-putting. i merely wanted to point out that i would take my business elsewhere if that was the standard type of response to things, not that i would dare to bad-mouth any other site - that's just not me, though no one would know that, so i can see where that assessment came from.

when i first signed up i was looking to upload my avatar and saw it was disabled and thought "huh... that's weird..." because it's kind of a standard thing at this point, but that was the full extent of it. then i happened upon this thread and thought i'd measure in with my feelings on the matter as a relative outsider opinion.

i thank everyone for their thoughts and explanations on the matter, and find this brand of tyranny right up my alley ;)

as for signature line images, i've always abhorred them, myself. most of the boards i've frequented in the past have had stringent regulations on sig lines, more lax on the avatars. diff'rent strokes, i guess.

that said, i think if you don't want anyone else posting in this thread, it's probably a good idea to close it. although, from the sound of it, there will just be another thread opened down the line asking about it again.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

|
vynsane

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

I don't think the actual intent has ever been to "silence the oppressed." Rather than silence, just a little more understanding and a lot more patience.

For my part, I apologize if my initial response to your query came off as curt. This is generally considered to be a dead-horse issue that's usually only brought to the surface when people want to do a little b'n and m'n. I was convinced that you had missed the explanation of as to his motives. I am protective of our founder given that he can pull the plug on the whole thing if the mood strikes him. ;)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:18 am

onions
Damp Noodle

Previous

Return to Suggestions