[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - Quick! LEGO Designers Want Your Input
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

Quick! LEGO Designers Want Your Input

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Quick! LEGO Designers Want Your Input

Postby Staff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:36 pm

The Direct to Consumer design team - the guys responsible for the big exclusive sets (think 10189 Taj Mahalicon, 10213 Shuttle Adventureicon, and 10210 Imperial Flagshipicon as a few examples) - are looking for feedback on why you buy the sets you buy and what you want to see in the future. But they need it fast... you have about a two day window to share your thoughts, so hit the jump to see what they're asking and stop by the open thread to share your thoughts.

Here is a message that was passed on to the Ambassadors via Steve Witt:

Direct is just wrapping up 2011 and we’re now looking forward to 2012 and beyond! I’m hoping you and the ambassadors can help me do a bit of brainstorming for some new model ideas.

We’re specifically trying to get some insight into what excites fans about our World Icons models. Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’? Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme? What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

We’d also like to hear if there is a particular ultimate set beyond World Icons which you’ve always wished we would make. It could be anything—like the Carousel, Imperial Flagship, Space Shuttle, Town Plan, Beetle, Medieval Market, Sculptures, etc. It could be Technic, Town/CITY, Space, Castle, Mindstorms, Belville, Trains or even something completely new. The sky is the limit!

As you can see, this isn't exactly a free-for-all suggestions thread. They're looking specifically for ideas to make into the next big exclusive. So get those gears turning and lets see what you want from Lego! I'll gather up your comments on Wednesday night and forward them off.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/06/07/quick-lego-designers-want-your-input/
Staff

Re: Quick! LEGO Designers Want Your Input

Postby thebrickperson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I love the big exclusive sets, lot's of parts, lot's of hard to get colors, and a great mini version of iconic world treasures. Personally, I'd like to see more of these based on Roman buildings, like the Colesium (featured at Bricks by the Bay, built by my good friend Erik Wilson), or the Circus Maximus. I'd also like to see a cathedral , such as the Cologne Cathedral, or the Reims Cathedral.
thebrickperson

Postby ImperialShadowTroop » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Maybe you could bring out more sports themes like The Fifa world cup or the Rugby world cup (although i despise rugby)
but you could make them like colletible minifigures from each team.The best player from each team (not just striker,goal keeper etc) but a wide range.
cheers
ImperialShadowTroop

Postby siropa » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:01 pm

I like the larger scale of most of the exclusive sets. I like to leave most of these sets together, so I don't buy them for the unique parts.

I don't know if you've ever had on in the past, but i'd love to see a large aircraft carrier set.
siropa

Postby Draykov » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

Sure...I guess when you're dealing with sets with pieces in the thousands, color becomes one of the main factors. While I might not jump on a set with lots and lots of 1xY bricks in black, in bley it would be a different story.

Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

If the sets are well designed and interesting, and it's in the LEGO budget, I'd be more inclined to collect the whole theme. With sets that large and expensive, though, it's hard to say for sure. To be honest, I never really thought of it as a theme so much as a series of expensive one-offs that LEGO has done.

What would you like to see as the next World Icon?

I realize the organic nature of his work might be hard to pull off in angular brick, but something by Antoni Gaudi...maybe ...would be phenomenal. As a more realistic suggestion, ? ! I.M. Pei's .

We’d also like to hear if there is a particular ultimate set beyond World Icons which you’ve always wished we would make. It could be anything...The sky is the limit!

It's hard to pin down a single set or group of sets when the invitation is so open. It's hard not to stray into ideas for new play-themes...but, I guess what I'd really like to see is something along the lines of Town Plan but in a space theme. Like...Moon Base? Something that really re-captures the look and feel, but in a more updated style. Liberal use of blue and gray brick, maybe some Classic Space minifigs or modernized versions of them that use the CS logo...and probably some trans-yellow windows/windscreens. Parts with printed CS logos would also be quite welcome. That's kind of a theme bias of mine though. If we're speaking strictly in a more UCS style (i.e. no minifigs), then I'd say maybe:

Jacques Cousteau's with accompanying (Félix), (Denise) and (the would also be awesome)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Lich_Barrister » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Alas, I've not yet had the chance to expand my Lego purchases to this range, so I cannot speak to the motivators for purchase. As to what I'd hope to see:

- the classic London Bridge (or in the style) with carts, paddleboats, and medieval minifigs.
- a set of brownstone townhomes in the Cafe Corner style
- Château de Chenonceau

As for a vehicle on the UCS scale, something like an early motorcycle or Darwin's Beagle would be nice.
Lich_Barrister

Postby jomandybri » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 am

I'd love something like the Sydney Opera House or something Ancient themed... pyramid could be a bit boring. but something more like the Colosseum :P that would be cool :) I buy sets for what they are; not for parts.
Thanks
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Robzula » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:48 am

I gotta agree with Draykov. I'm tired of these big, detailed sets being focused on modern\historical architecture. Give me a space city in the style of the Medieval Market!
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby chebosto » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:48 am

how about some technic-themed Automobiles that actually look like their real-world counterpart? only the William F1 piece looked like the real thing, everything else was kinda sad.. maybe make up for it with a Technic set with working parts for:
Lexus LF-A (7speed and auto deploying spoiler) , Audi R8 (V12 engine with AWD), Nissan GTR (7speed and AWD), Porsche GT3RS (RWD, but have the roll cage and rear flat 6 engine)... something other than Ferrari or Lambo (which were boringgggg)
chebosto

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:45 am

I always vote for buildings that are recognizable around the world. I also vote for cars that are based on a real car like the VW Beetle, Ferrari, etc. The fact that LEGO has to license the car doesn't bother me. I would rather see a set of a nice looking '67 Ford Mustang or a Porsche than a generic "Street Speeder" (as much as I like that set.)
Hit me up on Instagram or on Topps Star Wars Card Trader @GrayMattR
GrayMattR

Postby firstjediknight » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:48 am

I second the Roman Colosseum and Sydney Opera House and would add the following:

arc de triomphe
ny flatiron building
chyrler building
musee d'orsay
reissue of statue of liberty with base with more detail and color

i buy for the details and design - not necessarily for the bricks - however, interesting colors would be great
i would also like to see more modular buildings to add to green grocer, market street, cafe corner, grand emporium etc. - great value all around for these sets - i would not suggest gouging prices on these sets which might lose its appeal.
i would also like to see more detailed Star Wars playsets - lego is severely lacking in this end - would help boost sales all around if you could add more to the line than ships.

these are just my first thoughts. keeping my fingers crossed - hoping that some of these ideas will actually come to fruition.
firstjediknight

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:51 am

I've never bought one of these huge sets, and probably never will. I just can't afford it, though I've coveted every single one. If that doesn't disqualify me from making a suggestion, I'd like to see large scale versions of some of Frank Lloyd Wright's more well-known works, like Fallingwater, or the Robie House. And I'd second the idea of a cathedral.
Mister Ed

Postby Jinx32 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:58 am

Do you buy sets like the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower and Taj Mahal because you view them as amazing ‘parts packs’?

I am an adult collector. I do not buy these sets because I am more of a sci-fi fan. But I also love the city building sets Lego has been releasing as of late.

Do you only buy specific models in the line because of individual appeal or do you collect the whole series because you appreciate the theme?

I appreciate all the themes and If the series is interesting and original enough, I will buy the whole line. As of late due to budget constraints, I only buy the sets I am most interested in from any one series.

London Eye, Big Ben as suggested above, Air Force One (full minifig scale). I also like the idea of a Star Gazer set, to include an Observatory Dome, telescope and maybe a Hubble Satellite

We’d also like to hear if there is a particular ultimate set beyond World Icons which you’ve always wished we would make. It could be anything...The sky is the limit!

1. Gundams.
2. Remake Technic Space Shuttle in honor of the decommissioning of the program.
3. A very large dragon. I like the small ones from the Creator series, but would like to see something substantial.

Regards,

Jason
Jinx32

Postby vynsane » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 am

I haven't yet purchased any of the large-scale exclusive sets, though I'm very interested in the Shuttle Adventure set. I'm less interested in the World Icons sets than I am other more play-oriented models.

It would be cool to be able to buy smaller scale versions of some of the pieces you see in the LEGO Stores - like the life-sized Indiana Jones. If it was, say, 1/4 scale or something, or maybe even just a highly-detailed version of 'the idol' from Raiders it could be a really cool set.

Similarly, the building event models (R2-D2, Buzz Lightyear, etc...) could be made into smaller-scale LEGO Sculptures.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

|
vynsane

Postby atxdad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 am

I buy the big sets to display as pieces of art, not for parts. Given my limits in space and budget, I never considered getting the whole theme as a collection but do buy sets based on individual appeal.

Outside of World Icons, there is one other ultimate collector Star Wars set I'd like to see: a Super Star Destroyer.

Thanks for your consideration!
atxdad

Postby Fatyankee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 am

I prefer the sets that include minifigs , i have the medieval market and will be getting the shuttle and flagship this year
i think that a section of the Colosseum with some gladiator minifigs and an emperor would be awesome

I think that including minifig makes the sets a lot more fun and if there is some exclusives included that's even better
A modern day battle ship or air craft carrier would be very cool
Some ideas for UCS star wars could be an Ewok village could be kinda fun and appealing to alot of people
Myself i am 31 and am not a fan of Ewoks but id still buy it for the pieces and it is a set that would be very doable
What i want to see most is a UCS cantina
Fatyankee

Postby Ton65 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 am

Maybe it would be nice to create;
The Pyramids of Gizeh together with the Sphinx and the boat (shown in the boatmuseum on the foot of the great pyramid), Angkor Wat, Abu Simbel (+ interior), 17th Canal houses in Amsterdam, Queen Mary passengership, a Lego Zoo with lots of animals or a wildlife park (in coop. with the WWF), the Harbour and houses at the harbour of Saint Tropez (and some yaughts and expensive cars), and my altime favourit if it excisted: the Arena on Geonosis with lots of Jedi, the 3 arena monsters andso-on.
Ton65

Postby biffpow » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:08 am

--I don't buy the sets as part packs. I wish I had brilliant ideas for custom models requiring specific parts, but I do not.

--I generally buy specific models in a line due to their individual appeal (ie: certain minifigures I want, a certain structure that just looks cool, certain neat accessories, etc.). That being said, I do tend to stick to Star Wars and Harry Potter, only rarely picking up a set that isn't in those lines (for the reasons in the prior sentence).

--I have never bought a "world icon" giant collector's set. They cost more than I'm usually willing to put out for a toy/collectible, and I haven't been interested in the sites you've chosen. I'd be (much) more keen on a set of one of the ancient wonders of the world--the Colossus of Rhodes, for example. The Globe Theater, with players and audience. A few city blocks in San Francisco or London might also interest me. Also, as a final suggestion on those sets, I'd be more inclined to buy one if they were multi-use. What I mean is, make a set that includes the necessary pieces to complete 3 really neat places/things, rather than just one. Imagine if the Taj Mahal pieces could also be used to make a crumbling British palace, and then re-purposed again to make the Trevi Fountain. The idea of value in replay for the sets would increase a great deal and, for me, make them more appealing. There's a sense of accomplishment for completing a Taj Mahal, of course, but then what do you do with it? Display it a few weeks and then pack it up? Give me two (or more) directions for other large-scale things to make from it, and I'd be much more inclined to buy in.
biffpow

Postby GIR3691 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:22 am

I gotta' echo Draykov in the idea of a large moon base. The new shuttle set is very tempting and may be the first large set that isn't a modular building. I haven't gotten any of these other one-off large items, but I would be very tempted by anything space-y. A big classic SciFi could be cool, if it had an interior or was done in a base metallic silver.

Also, vynsane's idea of statues is cool. We haven't gotten anything really statue-like in a while (except for maybe UCS Grievous), and it would be really cool to get something like a in maybe a 1:6 or 1:8 scale, or Michelangelo's David, or something cool. Smaller-scaled versions of the large store displays would be cool too, depending which one it is. I know I'd get a Vader or Indy.

Other spontaneous ideas include:
-Pirate hideout cove- a large Pirate fort with giant skull somehow incorporated. The Imperials got their flagship, how about the pirates get some love?

-I know this is a long shot, but some sort of WWII vehicle, like a in the scale of the VW Beetle, or a , or a model in the scale of the Boeing plane. I would totally buy something like that.

-scale model of . One of the classic baseball stadiums would be attractive to baseball fans.

>>Rick@fbtb.net <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby OneOnTopOfTwo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:29 am

One for parts, one for the model.

Individual appeal.

I second Draykovs Alamo suggestion.

I'd like to see a Haunted House or Mansion that's on par with the Cafe Corner, Emporium, Gorcer line.
OneOnTopOfTwo

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions