[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - Sometimes Reviews Can Be Too Detailed
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

Sometimes Reviews Can Be Too Detailed

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Sometimes Reviews Can Be Too Detailed

Postby Staff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Brothers Brick posted a review on the upcoming 70922 The Joker Manor set (comes out on Black Friday). I kinda scrolled through the page and looked at the pictures assessing whether or not I want to spend the time reading. I passed because there's just... too much. And the thing is, every AFOL site does the same thing, but in varying degrees: Eurobricks, Brickset, even us here at FBTB, offer reviews that get to be too long and wordy. Example: do we really need a picture of the bags? I mean, come on, what value does that bring?

I'm not innocent in my criticism. I've probably done the exact same thing. But nowadays, review length is something I try and keep in mind when I sit down and write. I can't imagine I'm the only that sees a wall of text and a tiny scroll bar on the browser and think, "Screw this, I've got better things to do."
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego/2017/11/22/sometimes-reviews-can-be-too-detailed/
Staff

Re: Sometimes Reviews Can Be Too Detailed

Postby Tohst » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:48 am

And that is my problem with video reviews.

With a text review you can skim. You want shorter reviews, just read the parts you want to read.

Video reviews you end up listening to people who love the sound of their own voice ("Ha Ha Ha, aren't I just the funniest") because you can't visually assess the review to get where you want easily.

The kids these days seem to love video reviews so what do I know.

Tohst - get off my lawn!
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:41 am

I think the problem is trying to hit everything anyone would want to know. Some people only want to see the minifigs, or just the new parts and colors, or new build techniques, or cost versus parts, or a dozen other things. I appreciate the summary at the end of your reviews, (and the new will it fit feature). But i usually only read the whole review if I'm in the fence.
crazybirdman

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 am

See, I enjoyed TBB's review of Joker Manor, but I remember thinking more than once "how long is this thing?" I don't remember if I finished it all at once or came back later.

@Tohst: ditto on the video reviews (about anything, not just Lego sets).
See more on my .
rodiziorobs

Postby dWhisper » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 am

If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Return to General LEGO Discussions