[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - Building Star Wars Environment Sets - What bricks to buy??
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

Building Star Wars Environment Sets - What bricks to buy??

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Building Star Wars Environment Sets - What bricks to buy??

Postby BennyBing » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi there! (TL;DR at the end)

I recently got back into Lego as an adult and discovered that it really, really holds up over time. The therapeutic release of following the instructions and building cool stuff is tons of fun.

Then last week I went to the Lego store and got two huge cups of bricks, came home, and built a Dark Side base.

After tearing it down three times and rebuilding, I'm happy with it. Of course, NOW I WANT TO BUILD MOAR.

I've seen some amazing user built bases and environments online. I want to build huge bases and stuff too. But how to decide what bricks to buy? There are a limitless number of different types of bricks. To that end I was wondering if anyone had put together a general list of the most useful bricks to buy?

TL; DR - Guy wants to build Star Wars bases, doesn't know what bricks to buy or where to start this journey.

Thanks!

Benny
BennyBing

Re: Building Star Wars Environment Sets - What bricks to buy

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:28 pm

If you're really just starting out, the best place to start is to get official sets and modify from there. Pick-a-brick is useful for small stuff, but not building. But it all depends on what you want to build. Right now, there's a lot of Hoth stuff available, as well as Jedi sets like the Emperor's Throne Room and the Imperial Shuttle, which can be a good centerpiece prop.

As for parts, that will always depend on what you want to do. Certain things are always useful in Star Wars... light and dark gray bricks, plates, and tiles, especially. White also comes in a lot. But mostly, I'd say get a set, build it, and figure out how you'd improve on it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Agree that it is a good way to start. Another option is to digitally build and then convert to real bricks. Myself, I like to pick a specific scene, usually small, and just build. Using photos of what you're trying to build also helps with the color and brick selection.
Sparkart may be able to comment more on the digital building.
banthafodder

Buy what you need.

Postby sparkart » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:55 am

Until you start building and figuring out your building style and what you like to do, your favorite/most needed pieces, etc. you really dunno what you need. I wouldn't start stockpiling a large amount of LEGO, until I figured out if I was really going to use it or not. LEGO Digital Designer is a good way to start playing with LEGO, without having to actually buy a lot of LEGO. You can download it for free from LDD.LEGO.com .

facebook.com/sparkart.stuff
sparkart.storenvy.com/
sparkart

Good stuff

Postby BennyBing » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks guys! Valuable input.

It occurs to me now that I can just look at the parts list of the existing sets I've bought as i've kept the instructions...but I can also find this data online i'm sure. I can buy these off the lego site using the parts numbers and just getting them in greater quantities. Other than that, I think the bigger bricks are quite useful.

I enjoy big walls for forts and such, so I'll be needing a lot of big gray, black and white bricks...2x8 is great.

I'm actually so addicted at the moment that i snuck out to walmart at midnight to buy the new First Order Troop Transport. I'm limiting myself to one bag of construction per day, trying to make it last. Yup, this is clearly my new addiction. A high-end, costly designer drug.

I did download the program for building digitally, I'll have to get more into that to scratch the itch. Shame that it's so outdated, it's like 11 years old and crashed when I tried to build instructions. I'll have to put more time into it though, should be another fun outlet.
BennyBing

Postby banthafodder » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 am

If your going to be buying a lot of bricks you should get familiar with bricklink. It is usually cheaper than buying loose bricks from TLG and has a bigger selection of parts.
banthafodder

Return to General LEGO Discussions