[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4710: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4712: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4713: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4714: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
LEGO Star Wars Forum | From Bricks To Bothans • View topic - Early 2016 Ideas Candidates
template->_php_include(): File ././../wp-content/themes/custom/baseHeader.php does not exist or is empty

Early 2016 Ideas Candidates

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Early 2016 Ideas Candidates

Postby Staff » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 am

For those who are bummed that nothing got through the last review, there was also another announcement tucked into the press release, and that's the lineup for the 2016 reviews. If you were bummed that nothing got reviews... well, unfortunately, things don't look that promising in the future either. A couple can be thrown out easily (Rivendell and Lothlorien) due to their size, a couple for existing licenses or competition from similar products (Stay Puft and Modular Library), and a couple because similar sets were just rejected in the last wave (Super Seven and Indominus Rex).

That leaves Physics, Adventure Time, and The Little Prince as the ones with any real hope (though who knows, I've been wrong before... I never would have thought Big Bang Theory would have made it). Also getting a hold is the F7A Hornet, a cool looking ship from the "I won't call it upcoming until the wisps of vapor they call a game are actually playable" game, Star Citizen*. I don't put a lot of hope into that turning into a product, unless RSI is finally running out of money and sells the licenses for cheap... and LEGO things they can interest the space fans in it.

F7A

*Yes, I am a backer of the game from the original Kickstarter. We developers talk about 'feature creep' when we work on projects, and this game should be the case study put with the definition of it. 
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-ideas/2015/10/30/early-2016-ideas-candidates/
Staff

Coming Next to LEGO Ideas: Nothing

Postby Staff » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 am

We all knew it had to happen eventually, but we've now had our first Ideas review phase where no projects got approved. Given the lineup, it's not especially shocking. Most were too big, overlapped with existing themes, or was just self-promotion and advertising for the builder. And anyone who has seen an episode of Golden Girls (which includes no one in LEGO's typical market) knew it wasn't going to get approved.

The only real surprises would be the Science Adventures and the ISS, since both of those fit in prior themes. Perhaps Science Adventures just overlapped with the direction that City has been going lately, and ISS might have been a bit too big. Sorry to all of the Zelda fans, though. Still no love on that front. I hate to break it to you... there will never be progress on that front with Ideas, because the theme needs new parts, which aren't going to happen in sets like this.

Early 2015 Results

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2015/10/30/coming-next-to-lego-ideas-nothing/
Staff

Re: Coming Next to LEGO Ideas: Nothing

Postby sterow » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:15 pm

This is a shame, as I loved a couple of those models, especially the Douglas DC3 and the T-Rex. I thought a few were plausible, too. (The T-Rex would surely have been popular - though I can also see it might have been big and involved some non-standard building).

Credit to Lego for a well expressed video that does well in giving an explanation. This may ultimately be a positive in focusing the submissions they get on more plausible projects (which I guess means smaller, and ideally not IP based).
sterow

Re: Coming Next to LEGO Ideas: Nothing

Postby Trooper10 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:17 pm

While I'm totally fine with this (I don't know why they bother even reviewing giant projects that will never be made...)... I do resent the subliminal psychic torture from 1:18 to 2:14 with the CITY MONORAIL set sitting behind the Ideas sets....are they sending a subtle message....Monorail?.....are they saying it could be coming. Monorail?......are they saying just like these rejected ideas projects, it will never be? Monorail!.....maybe it's a secret code and we need 3 Ideas projects for city-scapes of Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook and then they'll bring us a MONORAIL!!!!!
Trooper10

DO IT!

Postby sparkart » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Subliminal...hmmm, the only distracting thing I noticed was a Shia LaBeouf DO IT! written on the blackboard, away from which I can not wrench my gaze. (I differentiate it from Nike's "Just Do It.")

I wonder if they do give some poor intern the project to come up with the production numbers for the giant sets. We all know they'll never be approved, but I'm curious if LEGO goes through the time and effort to show internally, in numbers and charts, just how ludicrous the logistics are to produce a giant set.

I can see Le Petit Prince making it. It's boring to me, but a classic (I had to read the book for French class in high school). I'd be pleased to see Adventure Time make it. No mini-figs, all brick built, that's purist-impressive, and art. It's maybe a bit subversive, but then, so is The Simpsons, eh?

Bummer about the Bricksauria Tyranosaurius [sic] Rex, it's an awesome beast. I do wonder how things like Golden Girls get 10000 votes of honest-to-goodness support. I know I'm definitely not a well-informed LEGO fan, but some of the things that get heavy support...I've never seen them before. Am I just not paying attention or not fully tuned into all the LEGO social media outlets?

facebook.com/sparkart.stuff
sparkart.storenvy.com/
sparkart

Re: Early 2016 Ideas Candidates

Postby dWhisper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Golden Girls was bumped by being featured on places like io9 and The Mary Sue.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:44 am

Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Blacknight » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Blacknight

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:31 pm

PurpleDave

Postby matoli » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:03 am

About next projects under revision: perfect analysis. The only project tha has good chances is Physics. Not many pieces (700-800?), mainly technic staff, original, playable. The only case not to be approved if Lego will say: "we have a similar project"
matoli

Postby dWhisper » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:56 am

dWhisper

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Why don't Zelda projects just use the Green Goblin hat? Minifigs with hats were without hair for decades....
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Marty » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:43 am

Hello,
While I was very surprised by Lego not picking at least one of latest ideas sets, the T-Rex I thought was a shoe in.
But with all the latest licences required to cover the sets of late, I think all they want something else, like holding back to see if something beside a TV / Movie theme can be achieved, though I thought the T-Rex would have fallen into this category, it seems it was not to be, as for the size of the sets, I don't think that size is a problem, but content is.
What I think is they want something outstanding, something that shows, it's worthy of a great set.
Something like the Apollo 11 Eagle Lander, better than the 10029 set. It was such an achievement in history and that's just an example. At the minute the one I'm watching is the Nautilus from 20,000. Leagues, that is a perfect design.
But we'll see what happens next time.

Marty
Marty

Postby PurpleDave » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 am

PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:03 am

dWhisper

Return to General LEGO Discussions