Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Announces Star Wars X Building Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

FBTB Announces Star Wars X Building Contest

Postby onions » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Guys, it's been a long time since we've had a building contest around here, so it's time to rectify that. I am excited to announce the Star Wars X Building Contest. It's like one of my favorite contest themes, Alphabet Fighters, but with the added twist of using the glyphs from the Aurebesh typeface.

Why Aurebesh?

Because it is the unofficial font of the Star Wars universe, that's why. I've wanted to start doing contests again and thought that a good way to kick them off was with an Alphabet Fighter contest. Don had the brilliant suggestion of using Aurebesh as the character family to build from and I loved that idea. And so here we are.

We realize that the Aurebesh typeface poses significant challenges as a number of the glyphs consist of disconnected strokes, such as Aurek (a) and Besh (b). It is up to you decide how to build with these limitations. The glyph must be featured prominently and obviously in your build and be instantly recognizable. If we need to squint and tilt our head to see the glyph, you're doing it wrong.

Allowable Glyphs

In case you need a cheat sheet, here are the allowable glpyhs and the letters they represent:

[caption id="attachment_42720" align="aligncenter" width="640"]Aurebesh glyphs Build your model based on one of these things.[/caption]

In addition to the usual 26 letters, there are 8 additional double characters for a total of 34 glpyhs to choose from.

The Prizes

[caption id="attachment_42722" align="aligncenter" width="640"]10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter Box Image First place gets their mitts on this.[/caption]

First place will win 1 (one) copy of the discontinued UCS set, 10240 Red Five X-wing Starfighter. Second place winner will get their choice of either 75102 Poe's X-Wing Fighter or 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter. Third place will win whatever second place didn't pick. In the unlikely event of a tie, the admin(s) of the contest will cast any tie-breaking vote(s) to determine a final winner for each place.

Sets are guaranteed to be in new, unopened condition. Box condition will vary and is not guaranteed mint, but I take care of my stuff and don't intend to send something as a prize that I myself wouldn't want to receive.

How To Enter

Post a response in the official contest forum thread with up to two pictures of your model. You may link to additional photos or a gallery if you wish. Any pictures at an external site will not be considered as your entry.

You may enter only once.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account you can sign up for free, or ask a friend with a Flickr  account to host them for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed your photos in the forum. Here’s a quick visual guide on how to copy the correct code for the forum. Follow that, then paste it into your reply and do not add any more forum tags to the Flickr code. It works as is. Preview your post to verify that it worked before submitting it. If it didn’t work, PM Solo.

Please do not post any non-entry photos to the contest thread. You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.

Deadline

We will be giving this contest a two-month build time. Final contest submission must posted to the official contest forum thread no later than 11:59:59PM PST Sunday December 3rd, 2017. A week-long poll following the deadline will determine the winners.

Exception To Our Standard Rules

You MAY include custom decals and stickers. Yep, we're allowing it this time. This goes for custom minifigures as well, i.e. you may apply a custom decal or sticker onto a minifig. Or, if you're made of money, get custom printed elements. Also, you may cut official stickers. Just no custom or modified non-sticker parts, i.e. non-sticker parts that were cut, melted, superglued, or otherwise altered in physical form to make it a non-standard LEGO part. We have to draw the line somewhere.

Standard Rules

• Contest is open to anyone in the world.

• Unofficial or modified parts are NOT allowed, except for those outlined in the Exception To Our Standard Rules section above.

• No pre-existing or virtual models.

• No changes allowed after the deadline.

• Do not base your models on any official sets.

Photography note: be sure to submit the best pictures possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photos cannot be altered in any other way. For example: no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models – not your image manipulation prowess. If you wind up submitting your model to Lego Ideas after the poll has ended, you’re obviously welcome to further enhance your photos however you wish.

Prize Delivery

This has been a sensitive subject around here. I acknowledge I have not been very timely with prize delivery in the past, and all I can do is take full responsibility and apologize. Excuses don't mean much so I won't offer any and my promises at this point may seem empty. The only way I can prove that things have changed is to show by example and I intend on doing that.

Questions?

Post 'em in the Star Wars X Building contest official forum thread.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/lego-star-wars/2017/10/09/fbtb-announces-star-wars-x-building-contest/
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: FBTB Announces Star Wars X Building Contest

Postby rodiziorobs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 am

Yessss! Alphabet Fighters was one of my favorite competitions I've ever entered, even though I got knocked out on my third ship. I'll miss the playoff style this time around, but at the same time that was grueling to build for...and probably even harder to organize.

I'm looking forward to see what everyone comes up with--myself included!

Edit: is there any rule on scale? i.e. does it need to fit a minifig? Also, could we include multiple glyphs as one ship if so desired?
See more on my Flickr page.
rodiziorobs

Postby onions » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 am

Ah thanks for asking. I figured I'd miss something. Scale is minifig scale. And you're limited to one glyph per ship.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Spencer Solo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I feel like a wesk wing will be pretty boring. I'm excited for a new contest! I just need to get my parts from home...
Romans 12:1
Spencer Solo

Cool!

Postby sparkart » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for an inspiring contest!

I know the boss stated, "one glyph per ship," but I'm gonna mock that ruling Lebowski-style and say, "That's just like, your opinion, man." Because I'm doing a TV-wing or Trill-Vev wing with a V-19 style swing wing. It won't look like exactly like a Torrent, but...whoa, wait a second, my memory's being jogged, and I'm having a Bothcon 2011 flashback...Trooper10 already did a contest-winning TV-wing for Bothcon 2011. Nevermind.
Last edited by sparkart on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparkart

Postby nanuck95 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Here is my entry for the contest, using the Aurebesh letter "Zerek". The Zerek-Wing is used by the Rebel Alliance as a fast interceptor craft. It is equipped with 3 laser cannons and 2 concussion missile launchers, and boasts a slim profile that makes it a difficult target to hit. Crew is one pilot and no astromech droid.

Long time lurker here, I finally joined the forums so I suppose this is my first post. This was a lot of fun to build and my kids enjoy swooshing it around (it's fairly solid build, so it's easy to fix when they crash it a lot, haha). Looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries!

Zerek Wing Interceptor by Matthew Hurt, on Flickr

Zerek Wing Interceptor by Matthew Hurt, on Flickr
nanuck95

Postby naugem » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:00 pm

It's great to have another starfighter contest!
But those are some odd looking characters. Anyway, I have an idea, let's see if I can make something good out of it :D
naugem

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 am

Hooray! At last a new contest, and with such an interesting challenge to boot! I have so many ideas. Can we enter more than once?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Trooper10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:19 pm

sparkart wrote:..., and I'm having a Bothcon 2011 flashback...Trooper10 already did a contest-winning TV-wing for Bothcon 2011. Nevermind.

Arrrgh, it's true, the internet is eternal!!!! I thought I'd buried that footage long ago ;)

Spencer Solo wrote:I feel like a wesk wing will be pretty boring. I'm excited for a new contest! I just need to get my parts from home...

(Darth Vader voice when he says "Apology accepted Captain Needa" in ESB): Challenge accepted, Spencer Solo :D
Trooper10

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Can we enter more than once?

Anybody??
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Ramsayman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums, but love everything Star Wars and everything LEGO. I love the idea of this contest!! Just want to know, if my kids want to enter (12 and 14) do they need to have their own profiles, or can they just enter through me?
Ramsayman

Postby Marathon to May » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm

The original post says you can only enter once, under the "How to Enter" section.
Marathon to May

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that. :x
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby dWhisper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Ramsayman wrote:Hey guys! I'm new to these forums, but love everything Star Wars and everything LEGO. I love the idea of this contest!! Just want to know, if my kids want to enter (12 and 14) do they need to have their own profiles, or can they just enter through me?

You can find a post at the top of this forum that talks about accounts for different family members, which will hit the IP check we use. Your best bet is to put that it's a different family member in the "reason to join" field. Now that being said, typically we've required anyone who signs up for the board to be at least 13 (we follow the COPPA guidelines on the site), so your 12-year-old would not be eligible for an account yet. There's nothing at all to say that your younger kid could not contribute to your build or your older kid's build, though.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Ramsayman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Awesome, thanks! Working on an Aurek Wing as we speak!
Ramsayman

Postby maedhros1980 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:49 pm

Ramsayman wrote:Awesome, thanks! Working on an Aurek Wing as we speak!

That's a nice choice for a cool fighter. Good luck. I'm going to give the Enth symbol a shot. Dusted off the bricks a week ago and started building.
maedhros1980

Postby darth85 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:20 am

Ramsayman wrote:Awesome, thanks! Working on an Aurek Wing as we speak!

I'm working on the Aurek as well.
My first entry to a LEGO competition. :x
darth85

Postby Marathon to May » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 am

Besh-Wing Interceptor

After the Battle of Endor, Kuat Systems reverse-engineered the TIE Interceptor and combined these technologies with its successful RZ-1 A-Wing Starfighter. The result was the RZ-2 Besh-Wing Interceptor, a nimble craft designed for dogfighting and infiltration. Equipped with two laser cannons and two proton torpedo launchers, the agile Besh-WIng could do significant damage to Imperial forces while evading with its top-of-the-line sublight engines.

You can see more photos here!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/116603424 ... 0199738916

ImageBesh-Wing Interceptor (flight) by Marathon To May, on Flickr

ImageBesh-Wing Interceptor (top) by Marathon To May, on Flickr
Marathon to May

Postby darth85 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 am

Aurek-wing

The RK-1 Aurek-wing (not to be confused with the Aurek-class tactical strikefighter) is a split aurek-shaped starfighter manufactured by IGMT and a predecessor of Incom’s UT-60D also known as the U-wing. Aurek-wings was popularized by militia factions across the expansion rim. The RK-1 is an incredibly fast and powerfull starfighter due to its core power coupler system popularized in Pod Racing. The two wedges of the starfighter is basically two powerful repulsor engines flanked by two sublight engines. The starfighter is armed with two laser canons and a double turbo laser.

ImageAurek-wing by Darth Vader, on Flickr

ImageAurek-wing by Darth Vader, on Flickr

See more photos on this link:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5FnbXA
darth85

Postby Legomancer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Are these fighters strictly of the small, snubfighter type? I'm debating on building a gunship.
Legomancer

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds