Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Micro/Midis Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Micro/Midis Contest

Postby crazybirdman » Sat May 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Just to make sure, no vehicles from books, board, video or miniature games are allowed?
crazybirdman

Postby jp-30 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:59 pm

FBTB Microfighter Contest - Twin Pod Cloud Car by jp-30, on Flickr

More photos at the gallery here.

Updated with better windscreens, red stripe, new pilot(s), flick-fire missiles, and new central engine strut.
Last edited by jp-30 on Sat May 13, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jp-30

Postby Solo » Sat May 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Shadowclaw wrote:Vader's TIE from the Death Star wasnt really a microfighter though, was it? the cockpit was fully enclosed, unlike MicroFighters.
That's a very good point. Looking at it again it doesn't fit the requirements for a microfighter, so it's fair game. Also, You need to reread the submission rules and edit your posts please. You're allowed one submission for each category and only one photo per submission.

crazybirdman wrote:Just to make sure, no vehicles from books, board, video or miniature games are allowed?

Correct.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jp-30 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:13 pm

That ship (or one so close to it that it's might as well be the same) has been made though, just without Vader piloting.

Edit: removed non contest image of the Prototype TIE Advanced microfighter.
Last edited by jp-30 on Fri May 12, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp-30

Postby banthafodder » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Do the micro fighters have to have stud shooters or flick fire missiles incorporated in them?
banthafodder

Postby Solo » Sat May 06, 2017 9:23 pm

jp-30 wrote:That ship (or one so close to it that it's might as well be the same) has been made though, just without Vader piloting.
Nope. That one predates Vader's TIE Advance and is distinct in design (it's stubbier and has rounder wings, even if they translate poorly to Lego form). Vader's X1 is still an option.

banthafodder wrote:Do the micro fighters have to have stud shooters or flick fire missiles incorporated in them?
Nope. It's encouraged but not required.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby foximus-prime » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 am

Odd question but wouldn't the Droids cartoon from the 80's and the Ewok movie still count as cannon for this contest?
foximus-prime

Postby dWhisper » Sun May 07, 2017 11:40 am

"Mainline" was the key there. The eight films, Rebels, and Clone Wars.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PlutoVsPlanet » Mon May 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Sooooo, I said I would not enter, but I was bored, so I decided to try to put together a microfighter B-wing.

The cockpit spins, and the wings collapse. Sadly no quickfire missles (I would not make it very far at Lego, haha!)

ImageIMG_2686 by James Lohman, on Flickr
PlutoVsPlanet

Postby MCoad » Tue May 09, 2017 12:41 pm

I've been reviewing the Microfighter line as I put together my own ideas. Looks like they run around 100 pieces, and about 10 studs in whichever is the longest dimension. They're definitely not consistent in scale (compare the Falcon with the Destroyer, for example). Some of them are close to being scale models on their own (the Falcon isn't particularly chibi), but most have exaggerated proportions--giant engines, stubby wings, etc. Here's an easy way to view all of them: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wa ... roFighters Hope the extra info is helpful. Good luck!
EDIT: Just noticed this link does not include the Comic-Con exclusives mentioned by others, but someone else already posted a link for those.
MCoad

Postby foximus-prime » Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 pm

MCoad wrote:I've been reviewing the Microfighter line as I put together my own ideas. Looks like they run around 100 pieces, and about 10 studs in whichever is the longest dimension. They're definitely not consistent in scale (compare the Falcon with the Destroyer, for example). Some of them are close to being scale models on their own (the Falcon isn't particularly chibi), but most have exaggerated proportions--giant engines, stubby wings, etc. Here's an easy way to view all of them: https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wa ... roFighters Hope the extra info is helpful. Good luck!
EDIT: Just noticed this link does not include the Comic-Con exclusives mentioned by others, but someone else already posted a link for those.

For the most part I've found that all have the figure 2-4 times the size of the cockpit within the exception of the Star Destroyer and that every model fits nicely on your hand! The most common thing I've noticed in scale is that all the microfighters not including the comic-cons microfighters are no bigger than 4 inches wide by 4 inches long. Though I'm sure we can build whatever size we want as long as it looks like it'd fit in the genre.
foximus-prime

Postby bartosza6m » Wed May 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Here is my entry.
Anakin's modified jedi starfighter (micro fighters category)

ImageAnakin's modified jedi starfighter by Bartosz Sasiński, on Flickr

Now I have to build some midi-scale vehicle... :D Good luck everyone!
bartosza6m

Postby BricksandBoosters » Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm looking for some clarification

So the ship has to be from movie / TV cannon I'm good there I have a Super Star Destroyer Moc'ed up but 2 questions
1 does the Pilot have to be specifically Movie/TV Cannon? I threw together a pretty good Ceina Ree from the book Lost Stars since she is posted to the Executor for in the book it makes sense.
2 SSD's are long and skinny and I'm, like Miro 78 above, could be at the border of Microfighter and Midi scale. Is the line what the Mod's point at and say Yes/No or can we get a bit more concrete ruling? Thanks Great Idea for a contest.
BricksandBoosters

Postby Solo » Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 am

1. That's fine. To reiterate, as long as the pilot makes sense for the vehicle then you can switch it up.

2. Use your best judgment and look to the official sets for guidance. We're not setting a concrete rule for either category, and we're not going to disqualify anyone unless they're flagrantly ignoring the intent of the contest. Ultimately the polls will decide your fate.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby JackJonespaw » Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 am

ImageMidi TIE Fighter by JackJonespaw, on Flickr

A midi TIE Fighter. Let me know if you've got any issues with it.

More views! https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4177/34596666545_e70968fc54_c.jpg
JackJonespaw

Postby BricksandBoosters » Thu May 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for the clarification that makes sense.
BricksandBoosters

Postby bartosza6m » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 am

...and here is my second entry.
V-19 Torrent starfighter (midi-scale category)

ImageV-19-Torrent by Bartosz Sasiński, on Flickr

Can't wait to see more from you guys! :D
bartosza6m

Postby tekkamanraiden » Sat May 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Tie Defender, my favorite Tie.

ImageDefenderFrontChibi by Adam Hilton, on Flickr
tekkamanraiden

Postby BricksandBoosters » Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Microfighter Super Star Destroyer Executor piloted by Ciena Ree from Lost Stars. All 13 engines are in the back check the rest of the photo stream for other views.

ImageSSD Executor Microfighter by BricksandBoosters, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 3815404036
BricksandBoosters

Midi Scale ISD

Postby Trooper10 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Last edited by Trooper10 on Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trooper10

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds