Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Themed Speeder Bikes Contest Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Themed Speeder Bikes Contest Announcement

Postby Solo » Tue May 24, 2016 9:17 pm

11:59PM PDT Monday June 6th 2016 is the correct deadline. The contest launched at 11:59 on Monday May 9th, and the deadline is four weeks from that. I've fixed the typo in the rules. Thanks ted.

And yes what jp-30 quoted covers graznador's question. "Thematically compatible" is what we're going for, not strictly official named LEGO themes. You just can't make up your own minifigs for unofficial themes or licenses Lego never had.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Galaxy Trooper & Alien Trooper Speeder Bikes

Postby sparkart » Wed May 25, 2016 4:35 pm

I originally planned a Burger King and grilled Hot Dog Guy speeder bike entry. Seriously. I set about finding LEGO pieces with grills to make a bike, but when I pieced them all together, it looked too unfriendly and brutal for a fast-food motif, more "Chronicles of Riddick" than "Burger King". The drab colors of the bike seemed to fit the Galaxy Trooper collectible figure, so he became the pilot.

The natural foil for the Galaxy Trooper is the Alien Trooper from the same LEGO collectible mini-figure series. I tried to make the Alien Trooper speeder bike colorful and weird, the diametric opposite of the Galaxy Trooper's bike.

Galaxy Trooper & Alien Trooper Speeder Bikes by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Alien Trooper Speeder Bike by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Alien Trooper Speeder Bike rear by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Galaxy Trooper Speeder Bike by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Galaxy Trooper Speeder Bike profile by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

I created these models in LEGO Digital Designer, so you can examine them virtually from more angles, and get a parts list to build/modify them for yourself. Download here.

BTW, these two are not adversaries. They are part of a joint task force comprised of the mini-fig species on the LEGO worlds that have united to resist the threat of the sinister invaders from the Planet DUPLO!
Last edited by sparkart on Sat May 28, 2016 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
sparkart

Postby ted @ndes » Wed May 25, 2016 4:54 pm

2nd Entry: Ultra Agent Themed Speederbikes - Vector & Sky-Cutter

- Vector is the smaller bike, designed for more close-quarters maneuverability and pursuit.
- Sky-Cutter is the optimized for long-distance pursuit, and at higher altitudes.

Flight Mode

Sprint Mode

Underside

Rear view
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby Solo » Wed May 25, 2016 5:16 pm

I hope you don't mind me adjusting your image sizes for easier viewing. Nice looking bikes all over the place.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Astronaut Space Speeders!

Postby sparkart » Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 am

The Classic Space Astronaut pilots the Retro Ramjet Redline Runner. The newer collectible minifigure Astronaut rides the Nimble Orbital Lander And Navigator (NOLAN) with a robot buddy named TARS:

Space Speeders by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

I didn't set out to make a speeder that looked like The Bat from The Dark Knight Rises. I just wanted a wide, heavy-lifter that would contrast with the racing looks of the skinnier speeder. When I squint at the NOLAN speeder, now, I can see that flying-turtle-Gamera resemblance to The Bat. Maybe subconciously I was thinking along those lines.
Nimble Orbital Lander And Navigator (NOLAN) Speeder by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

The red Spaceman was recovered from my parents' garage a few months ago. No cracked helmet, and still a little gold left on the chest decoration. :)
Retro Ramjet Redline Runner by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

Nimble Orbital Lander And Navigator (NOLAN) Speeder rear by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

I referenced a lot of photos of side-car racing motorcycles and F1 cars from the 1960s to help me think of an old-fashioned speeder. This one has a lot of tacky aero-devices, as if was empirically designed in a wind-tunnel, not refined more cleanly with computer models.
Retro Ramjet Redline Runner rear by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

I made the models in LEGO Digital Designer, too; You can download the LDD file here if you want to see the models from more angles and make/modify your own copies. If you do want to make these for yourself, I don't suggest using LDD's built-in instruction generator. Illegal build techniques were employed to piece these together, so in the LDD files, not all assemblies are connected and some assemblies have been replicated with multi-part workarounds. The six purple 1x1 plates grouped together represent one 2x3 black or white plate.
Last edited by sparkart on Sat May 28, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sparkart

Postby jp-30 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:00 pm

OK, time for my 2nd entry - Indiana Jones theme, with Indy making a getaway on a Speeder Bike inspired by Short Round's car from the start of Temple of Doom. He's being chased by his enemy Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark who is piloting a speeder influenced by the flying wing aircraft from the Nazi base.

FBTB LEGO Speeder Bike Contest by jp-30, on Flickr

There are a couple more photos in my flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskxibJnc
jp-30

Postby foximus-prime » Sat May 28, 2016 7:59 am

Here's my second entry, Demon Speeders.
Imagedemon-speedz01 by Todd N, on Flickr

Gallery here----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 307616535/
foximus-prime

Postby InsaneJames10 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:45 am

Here's my entry, it's an Indiana Jones themed one. The german soldier has a motorcycle speeder bike and Mr Jones is driving a modified fridge as seen in the famous scene from the fourth movie.

ImageIndiana Jones Speeder Bikes by InsaneJames, sur Flickr

Here's a zoom on the german bike.

ImageGerman Motorcycle Speeder by InsaneJames, sur Flickr

Indy cut a hole right through that door, with a powerful engine hiding on the inside.

ImageIndy's Speedy Fridge by InsaneJames, sur Flickr

Here's one last shot, I hope you like it. Good luck to y'all folks!

ImageIndiana Jones Speeder Bikes by InsaneJames, sur Flickr
InsaneJames10

Postby minimitch » Sat May 28, 2016 2:34 pm

For my second entry, an Indiana Jones version. This one was inspired by the 1989 block buster, The Last Crusade. My focus was the scene where Indy rescues his father, Dr. Henry Jones by escaping Castle Brunwald on a motorcycle with a side cart. I made the speeders able to attach together to make them resemble that motorcycle. Indy's speeder also has a kick stand which keeps it upright when on the ground. And oh, there is a stowaway hiding in the back of Indy's speeder. I also added on the Fertility Idol relic from The Raiders of the Lost Arc. Hope you enjoy my entry.
Thank you,
MM
Imageimage by Mitchell Frazao, on Flickr

more photo's here...https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 6471847873
Last edited by minimitch on Sun May 29, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
minimitch

Postby FettsNotDead » Sat May 28, 2016 2:53 pm

PotC Speeder Bikes (The slight angle on the fins comeing out of the front of the shark speeder should count as a steering vains)

ImageEdited fbtb contest entries by FettsNotDead, on Flickr

ImageFBTB different themed speeder contest by FettsNotDead, on Flickr

ImageFBTB different themed speeder contest by FettsNotDead, on Flickr
Last edited by FettsNotDead on Mon May 30, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FettsNotDead

Postby jp-30 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Nice work InsaneJames & minimitch - looks like Indy is taking an early lead in the popularity stakes!
jp-30

Postby FettsNotDead » Sat May 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Entry #2: The LEGO Movie Speeders. One is an Emmet construction speeder, and the other is a Bad Cop police speeder!

Last edited by FettsNotDead on Mon May 30, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FettsNotDead

Postby banthafodder » Sat May 28, 2016 11:44 pm

Some great entries. Looks like the steering vane problem has been fixed, now to get those handlebars on some of these bikes.
banthafodder

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun May 29, 2016 11:51 pm

I'll have a go at Angry Birds.

I happened to have a load of yellow parts lying around, so Chuck gets a personalized speeder. The slingshot is an obvious must-have and the bike also comes with a pair of talons that will wipe the grin off Piggy's face.

Piggy's speeder is a classic muddy brown and is fitted with one basket for all the eggs. (He's not the brightest piece of pork around.)

Chuck and Piggy speeder bikes by Andrew, on Flickr

Chuck's speeder bike by Andrew, on Flickr

Piggy's speeder bike by Andrew, on Flickr
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 am

Solo wrote:As for the handlebars, they don't need to be a specific handlebar element, you can use other parts to build them however you see fit like others have done so far. But steering wheels aren't handlebars.

Would reins, as used on the Taun-Taun or the Dewback, be acceptable as handlebars? For that matter what about rope or string? (Picturing a setup like on a simple sled or toboggan, which I guess equates to reins without an animal...)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby foximus-prime » Mon May 30, 2016 11:43 am

And my third and final entry, Galaxy Squad Speeders. ImageG-squad-speedz01 by Todd N, on Flickr

Gallery here----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... 286983451/
foximus-prime

Postby Solo » Mon May 30, 2016 12:12 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:Would reins, as used on the Taun-Taun or the Dewback, be acceptable as handlebars? For that matter what about rope or string? (Picturing a setup like on a simple sled or toboggan, which I guess equates to reins without an animal...)
The reins could work as handlebars but not rope or string. Sleds aren't bikes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby FettsNotDead » Mon May 30, 2016 1:36 pm

banthafodder wrote:Some great entries. Looks like the steering vane problem has been fixed, now to get those handlebars on some of these bikes.

Will a steering wheel work? Also will the single molded handlebar piece work?
FettsNotDead

Postby Solo » Mon May 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Steering wheels aren't handlebars, but those single piece premolded types are fine.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Solo » Mon May 30, 2016 5:36 pm

I probably shouldn't enter a contest I'm running even though there's no feasible way to rig it in my favor, so I'll go ahead and preemptively disqualify myself... but I built these:

I have two other pairs planned too but I may not find the time to do them before Star Wars Days this weekend.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds