Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars: Evolved Poll

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Please check your top 7:

Poll ended at Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:55 pm

0%
0%
0%
0%
3%
0%
2%
0%
2%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1%
1%
0%
4%
2%
1%
1%
9%
0%
0%
2%
1%
1%
3%
7%
6%
0%
0%
1%
4%
2%
0%
1%
6%
1%
0%
1%
1%
1%
0%
4%
2%
1%
3%
1%
0%
2%
0%
1%
0%
0%
4%
1%
0%
0%
1%
4%
0%
1%
0%
1%
0%
0%
3%
1%
1%
0%
1%

Total votes : 822

Re: Star Wars: Evolved Poll

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 am

Like Poe said... BB-8 is special! Also, his minifigure is just terrible at staying in anything.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Lord Melchett » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:23 am

Some fantastic builds in here. I love looking out for the cleverest parts useage, and have to take my hat off to goatman for the Yavin 4 planet idea. Superb.
Lord Melchett

Postby foximus-prime » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 am

Si-Mocs wrote:Image

Absolutely amazing showing everyone, it's been a pleasure watching all these builds pop up the last month.
Really fun contests guys!

Now to pour through the entries!

Hey now! I'm one of a few people out there that have stuck to Star Wars models through thick and thin even when people are like "whoa dude yeah gotta stop with the Wars and start doing something else" lol ;) ain't that right Don.
foximus-prime

Postby goatman461 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Lord Melchett wrote:Some fantastic builds in here. I love looking out for the cleverest parts useage, and have to take my hat off to goatman for the Yavin 4 planet idea. Superb.

Thank you! I'd like to do this again with an OT Y-wing. The Hoth planet might make a cool color scheme, too (no pun intended).
goatman461

Postby Ghalil » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:43 am

As some others have said, all mocs have something admirable and it was very cool to be able to participate in such a contest. But seeing all the mocs I started wondering, why did we build what we built? In my case, I built the blue and white speederbike Azuriël mainly because of parts selection. I used to have a lot of Harry Potter and some Star Wars Lego, but the Star Wars stuff is still in a few old mocs I need to take pictures of before I might part them out. But I found a couple of the long blue parts which looked sleek and cool and started from there. It needed to have something to do with speed and agility. I chose a speederbike because it wouldn't need as many parts of a color as opposed to a bigger ship.
Ghalil

Postby murphquake » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 am

if you submitted a ship for this contest i now officially HATE you. if you made the vote limit 7 not 27 i hate you too.

Seriously, there's so much wonderful stuff here I have no idea what to pick. I kinda wish it had been a MOC Madness so I could only have impossible decisions between 2 ships, not cutting down the original 70 or so votes i clicked =-D
murphquake

Postby citizen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:42 am

Very impressive gallery here! I have to say, it's a great honour to compete among all you amazing builders, as I have mentioned in my entry, it really shows a very wide variety of technique and styles.

Ghalil wrote:As some others have said, all mocs have something admirable and it was very cool to be able to participate in such a contest. But seeing all the mocs I started wondering, why did we build what we built?

For me personally, as I was not a Star Wars fan before, I know quite a limited number of ships, and the Slave I has always been my favourite, I love the overall shaping of it, the whole thing is a beauty. My colour scheme was decided by the parts selection though... :lol:
citizen

Postby Ghalil » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:39 am

The slave mocs were particularly impressive, I liked that yours seemed to be a bit more creative in the parts used, differing from the original model, like your canopy for instance. I do think more red/dark colours in the center would look better than the grey bit.
Ghalil

Postby foximus-prime » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 am

citizen wrote:Very impressive gallery here! I have to say, it's a great honour to compete among all you amazing builders, as I have mentioned in my entry, it really shows a very wide variety of technique and styles.

Honestly my build was a tad of a pain in the butt. Usually when I build studless I use a central spine to hold everything together this time unfortunately I couldn't. More than glad to show some cutaways of my B-Wing after the contests over when I have a little more time to take more photos. ;)
foximus-prime

Postby Flynn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Ghalil wrote:As some others have said, all mocs have something admirable and it was very cool to be able to participate in such a contest. But seeing all the mocs I started wondering, why did we build what we built? In my case, I built the blue and white speederbike Azuriël mainly because of parts selection. I used to have a lot of Harry Potter and some Star Wars Lego, but the Star Wars stuff is still in a few old mocs I need to take pictures of before I might part them out. But I found a couple of the long blue parts which looked sleek and cool and started from there. It needed to have something to do with speed and agility. I chose a speederbike because it wouldn't need as many parts of a color as opposed to a bigger ship.

When I was first considering an entry I was trying to steer away from more obvious choices, which led me more towards walkers. It wasn't until seeing the film and really digging Rey that I came up with the idea of a scavenged AT-ST she could ride on Jakku.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby unordained » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 pm

foximus-prime wrote:Usually when I build studless I use a central spine to hold everything together this time unfortunately I couldn't.

Same here on my B-Wing; the leading edge of the primary airfoil sort of held it together (once I got to that point), but most of the wing is back-to-back plates with a smattering of flipped old-style hinges (2 and 3 fingers) to hold them together. And then the 4 studs holding the two primary wings to the engine block and to each other (alignment not guaranteed), and the technic treads frequently pulling themselves apart ... the B-Wing's a finicky lady anyway, it doesn't help that the contest gave us an incentive to slap things together that would hold just long enough for photos, but might never survive the trip to a Con.
unordained

Postby foximus-prime » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:45 pm

:lol: Oh unordained how right you are. Honestly most of my goodies I build look good but fail the swoosh test. Sadly it's just the sacrifice we have to make to get the right look sometimes.
foximus-prime

Postby PlutoVsPlanet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 am

Ghalil wrote:As some others have said, all mocs have something admirable and it was very cool to be able to participate in such a contest. But seeing all the mocs I started wondering, why did we build what we built?

I typically do not build star wars mocs myself. My entry was from a "universe" I created. I originally wanted to make a youtube channel, with episodes, but the cost got in the way. I still enjoy building the ships that I need for my story anyway. My entry, I needed a "bad guy ship", so, I stole from the Tie Interceptor design. Then the contest came along, so I thought, why not go ahead and enter it, haha!
PlutoVsPlanet

Postby naugem » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 am

I've always had a soft spot for the Y-Wing, ever since Santa brought me one on a Christmas long ago instead of the B-Wing I asked for. It was my first starfighter, and for a while the only one, so it grew on me. When this contest was announced, I did some sketches of ARC-170s and Y-Wings, but in the end decided to go with the Y-Wing, even if it was probably the most obvious choice. Another reason for going with the Y-Wing is that before this contest, there weren't that many interesting variants out there.
I started building the engines first, having decided that they didn't have to be round, I wanted to see if I liked them when built. I first built a cockpit that resembled the original Y-Wing more, white with red lines, but I didn't like it much so I went back to my original idea of having it be a single color and making it longer to also include the astromech socket. The combat droids came last.
naugem

Postby Blue2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:20 pm

I spent most of my time fighting with the rotation part. I ended up taking off half of the body section due to it failing to hold steady. In hindsight i should have sized it all down or gone with my second idea - a revamped cloud car.
Blue2

Postby gene3S » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:07 pm

Great Entries Everyone! Good luck to all and my uncasted 7 votes.
gene3S

Postby LordEnder » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Am I slow or can I not vote due to my lack of forum posts? All I see are pictures and a 'bar' next to them - no buttons or otherwise.

These are great sets. I wish I'd sat down and built a couple of the ideas I had, but it would have been a challenge with these great entries to make the cut.
LordEnder

Postby ravingrem » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:45 am

Why I build my Airspeeder? Well, I started looking through brickset's star wars set collection, figuring that if Lego had not made a lego model of it, it would obviously be too obscure. With the notable exception of Padme's shuttle. But looking at you, Skyhopper!

Anyway, I selected a few I liked and were somewhat non-obvious, being the Sand crawler, the Pirate Tank, and the Koro-2 All environment Airspeeder.

I actually found there is another intriguing sand crawler design:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Multi-Environment_Tracked_Transport
But I abandoned the idea because I could think of a new shape, and frankly was a bit scared of how big the model would have to be.

I did sketches of all the models, but the airspeeder was the first where I could evolve the shape and found it would look cool with large, visible engines.

I also found that the original Lego model (in set 7133 ) was a really nice Lego spaceship. But it looks pretty terrible if you compare it to the actual ship in the movie.
ravingrem

Postby Ghalil » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:55 am

It is pretty cool to learn about the underlying motivations of some of the builds, thanks for all the replies. It sometimes even increases the appreciation for a moc. I do love a sleek looking moc and the airspeeders flow and tail and the final y-wings cockpit are beautiful indeed.

All the Y-wing entries inspired me while playing with my sons Duplo(we build stuff and he enjoys destroying it)

The ultimate Duplo collectors series Y-wing:

ImageLego Duplo Y-wing by Ghalil Bagci, on Flickr

Alas, it did not survive its heroic battle with Darth Pacifier..
Ghalil

Postby Darth Dee » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:43 pm

I hate to admit this, but I did do a Duplo prototype for an entry in the alphabet fighter contest a couple of years ago while visiting relatives. Building in Duplo does give you an interesting perspective in form...
Darth Dee

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds