Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars: Evolved Contest Announcement!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Star Wars: Evolved Contest Announcement!

Postby BillyHorrible » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:31 am

Solo wrote:No custom or modified stickers like usual, Pod Racers are eligible, and they do not need to be based on a specific pilot's design. I would however say that it's possible that the sport has evolved beyond the what we saw in the prequels too, so as long as yours is clearly based on the classic pod-racers it doesn't need to strictly follow the two engines with energy binders dragging a cockpit setup.

This got my inspiration flowing and I've started building two podracers. Couple of questions:

- Even though set 7962 comes with two podracers, I'm assuming I'm only allowed to enter with one podracer?
- Rules say we have to start from scratch, but can I assume it's fine if I use the transparent technic parts of set 7962 and the base they fit in to display my own podracers? They're not officially part of the podracers anyways.

Awesome contest, found it when Googling for podracer MOCs and it's the reason I joined this forum!

+ROOK+ wrote:I tried posting this morning, and I'm new so I'll try again.

FIRST ORDER STAR FIGHTER (...)

Definitely my favourite so far, looks great! Did you by any chance make a parts list or even building instructions of this?
"Booyah." - Jeff Winger
BillyHorrible

Postby dWhisper » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 am

You're not recreating a set, just a single ship or vehicle. So you are correct, you'd only be able to enter one of the podracers.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Thucydides » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:42 am

This is such a great contest...so much creative thought on display!
Mr. T, signing off.
Thucydides

Postby +ROOK+ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks Billy, no I didn't do any instructions, I started with the wings and spent a lot of time on the detailing of the wings, I've been thinking of redoing the cockpit and if I do I'll post it on flicker. Project started with a design featuring red and black wings for the first order color scheme. Fist time taking pictures also and it's harder than I thought it would be.
+ROOK+

Postby AndyDers » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Resistance BTL-S Y-Wing

After the fall of the Empire and the creation of the New Republic, Koensayr Manufacturing was commissioned to design a sleeker, stealthier upgrade to the BTL model Y-wing used by the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War. The finished product was the BTL-S Y-Wing, now employed by the Resistance in bombing runs and covert operations against the First Order.
ImageResistance BTL-S Y-Wing by AndyDers, on Flickr
ImageResistance BTL-S Y-Wing - Rear Quarter View by AndyDers, on Flickr
ImageResistance BTL-S Y-Wing Rear Detailing by AndyDers, on Flickr
ImageResistance BTL-S Y-Wing Top Quarter View by AndyDers, on Flickr
ImageResistance BTL-S Y-Wing Top Down View by AndyDers, on Flickr

I had a lot of fun creating this - good luck everyone and enjoy!
AndyDers

Postby TomGilson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:59 pm

@ +ROOK+ I like your approuch of mixing the jedi starfighter with a tie . I thought i saw this design in a star wars comic?Good job.
TomGilson

Postby TomGilson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:04 pm

If we all combine our mocs, we could create an awesome battle scene :)
TomGilson

Postby Solo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:16 pm

BillyHorrible wrote:- Rules say we have to start from scratch, but can I assume it's fine if I use the transparent technic parts of set 7962 and the base they fit in to display my own podracers? They're not officially part of the podracers anyways.
Yeah that's fine. And it's not like using a some minor bits and pieces from official sets means you'll get DQ'd either, sometimes certain techniques or details just make the most sense. What we're trying to avoid is reskinning or reworking Lego's designs instead of coming up with your own.

TomGilson wrote:If we all combine our mocs, we could create an awesome battle scene :)

If anyone is going to be in SoCal next weekend please bring your ships to Bricks LA!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Artemis78 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:29 am

Question, if i somehow make it to get a prize, do you ship it to Europe or is it North America only ?
Artemis78

Postby BillyHorrible » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:28 am

Sorry for changing my entry at the last minute. Started Star Wars Racer Revenge and I didn't want to enter with a generic pod anymore, so I updated Sebulba's podracer. Had to wait until the weekend though.

Over fourty years after his grandfather's defeat during the Boonta Eve Classic, Sebulba jr. enters the circuit with the latest Plug-F Mammoth Split-X engine model.

Over the years, the Mammoth models had become both longer, and smaller in overall size. Raw power was traded for a more streamlined engine - less bulk at the end, with the lower parts of the Split-X being greatly decreased in size. The next Mammoth model would turn out to completely lose the Split-X design, losing the lower parts and moving the upper parts to a horizontal plane.

Last edited by BillyHorrible on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Booyah." - Jeff Winger
BillyHorrible

Postby Trooper10 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:08 am

Thucydides wrote: I have to ask: where did you get those pearl grey rounded slopes and the (what appear to me to be) stickers?

The 'pearl grey rounded slopes' came from Bricklink (I was short 2 dark grey and found these instead!) - listed as Brick, Round Corner 6 x 6 x 2, Flat Silver and I think they come from a TMNT set.
The stickers are all just left-over random stickers from various Lego sets, some city, space and star wars, I think even some Chima I bought for parts (I tend not to put most of the stickers on sets that I buy). They are all applied as-is with not cuts or anything.

And as Solo said if you are even remotely near SoCal next weekend bring your MOC to BricksLA - We'll make room for you!!! (I'm taking this model and a couple I did last year!)
Trooper10

Postby captain sambuca » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Episode Seven: Bigger, Butcher, Badassier.

So here's my updated speederbike, perfect for actually speeding through densely wooded forests at 200mph. Definitely nothing camp about this one. It's the Harley of speeder bikes, there's no chance that the kenner toy of this speederbike would have a self destruct play feature!

Image12442965_10153922863428274_1060692728_n by captain sambuca, on Flickr

Image12468037_10153922863303274_946035728_n by captain sambuca, on Flickr

You'll notice that the speederbike is piloted by a festive C3PO. That's because the entire build has been completed from this year's advent calendar.

Also, I'm claiming it's because C3P0 has "evolved" himself... we saw that red arm in episode 7, perhaps there might be a whole red torso by the time of episode 8? perhaps C3P0 is becoming bigger, butcher and badassier himself. Is there any truth to the rumour that his line from episode four "I've forgotten how much I hate space travel" might be replaced in a new director's cut version by the much sassier "I ain't getting on no plane, fool". Is it true that Mr T may replace Anthony Daniels behind the mask in the next installment of our favourite sci fi franchise?

Nice one FBTBers. Happy New Year to you all
captain sambuca

Postby Solo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Artemis78 wrote:Question, if i somehow make it to get a prize, do you ship it to Europe or is it North America only ?

Worldwide entries are welcome.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Artemis78 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Ok thanks, then i'll submit my Y-wing when i get my parts from Bricklink !
Artemis78

Postby phuonom » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:11 pm

ImageSlave X by John Kupitz, on Flickr

Slave X
Years after Kuat Systems Engineering retired it's Firespray starships, the legend of Bobba Fett revitalized the line, and the KSE introduced an upgraded Firespray that they named the Slave X. Bounty Hunters, mercenaries, and smugglers all over the galaxy wanted to get their hands on one. It was rumored that new boosters could allow it to keep up with the Millenium Falcon. New turbo blasters on each side of the cockpit added enough firepower to take out a much larger ship. Even the First Order secured a few for tracking threats to the empire.

ImageSlave X -quarter by John Kupitz, on Flickr

ImageSlave X -profile by John Kupitz, on Flickr

ImageSlave X -Attack Mode by John Kupitz, on Flickr
phuonom

Postby toastkateer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Resistance, The Red Jammer.
The rebellion against the Empire used the Y-wing as its workhorse during the reign of Emperor Palpatine, its ability as a bomber combined with fighter capabilities made it a well-worn, even though not entirely reliable, starfighter.
The Red Jammer takes many things learned from the y-wing to construct a well-defended superiority bomber with just enough agility to make it lethal to both fighters, bombers, and bases of the First Order, as well as other unsavory characters throughout the galaxy.

ImageIMGA0933 by Todd Wright, on Flickr

As well as upgraded sublight engines with magnetically enhanced guide vanes, the hyperdrive on the Red Jammer model Y-wing has also been enhanced with the latest technology.

ImageY-wing final submission back elevated by Todd Wright, on Flickr

Of course, the most significant upgrade to the traditional y-wing is the addition of a revolutionary gunners turret. With full 360 degree rotation along the z axis, the gunner is able to defend the craft from almost every angle. Of course directly forward or aft of the ship is not reachable to the gunner, but front and rear blaster cannons as well as forward ion cannons make the craft defensible from virtually every angle. (and yes, you can play with it, it's not just a display moc)

ImageY-wing final submission gunner detail from top by Todd Wright, on Flickr

ImageY-wing final submission gunner rotated, canopy open by Todd Wright, on Flickr

For more cool pics showing off the torpedo bay, undermounted landing propulsion and the full range of motion for the gunner, check out my Flikr page. Thanks to FBTB for the contest that really got me out of my builders block!

ImageY-wing Final submission front by Todd Wright, on Flickr

As a side note, this was the final of 5 different projects built for this contest, and on my flikr page you can also see the other four that I considered for my submission. The ships include a Tie Advanced starfighter, An A-wing, Arc-170 inspired model, and a B-wing. Happy building, can't wait to see what comes out of the woodwork in the next two weeks!
Last edited by toastkateer on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
toastkateer

Postby PlutoVsPlanet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 am

My entry: my take on the Tie Interceptor.

ImageIMG_2087 by James Lohman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2084 by James Lohman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2083 by James Lohman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2081 by James Lohman, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2085 by James Lohman, on Flickr
PlutoVsPlanet

Postby Legomancer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:20 am

Hey all! I really wanted to submit an entry to this contest, but unfortunately my LEGOs are back at my HOME home (recent college grad living in a cramped apartment problems). So, as a compromise I built my dream submission on LDD. Posting pics here might confuse voters, so here's the link:

http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12247

Good luck to those who can participate!
Legomancer

Postby Thunder-blade » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:21 pm

New Republic Z-95 Headhunter

Along with the X-Wing refresh, the New Republic commissioned a new, improved version of the Z-95 Headhunter.

(Haven't touched LEGO in like 3 years, so I want to thank you guys for posting this contest, got my creative juices flowing)
Thunder-blade

Postby etcknight » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 am

toastkateer wrote:As a side note, this was the final of 5 different projects built for this contest, and on my flikr page you can also see the other four that I considered for my submission. The ships include a Tie Advanced starfighter, An A-wing, Arc-170 inspired model, and a B-wing. Happy building, can't wait to see what comes out of the woodwork in the next two weeks!

Wow, toastkateer! Someone had a lot of building time! I'm jealous. That A-wing you created is all kinds of awesome IMO. I like how it's kind of a cross between an A-wing and a Jedi Strike Fighter. Always liked the dark red. XD
etcknight

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds