Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars: Evolved Contest Announcement!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Star Wars: Evolved Contest Announcement!

Postby zoop » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:13 am

30 years after the fall of the Emperor came the rise of the Imperator. The Landspeeder Interceptor has been through the wringer but evolution comes with age.

No relation to the A-Wing Interceptor but that ship looks amazing.

ImageUntitled by zscheer, on Flickr

zoop

Postby TheMisFetts » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:04 pm

That speeder is awesome! I'm totally getting a Mad Max-like vibe. I'd scatter if I saw that coming towards me!
TheMisFetts

Postby J3P7 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:38 pm

My entry is the Naboo Wasp, an atmospheric fighter used by the Naboo resistance after the fall of the Empire. This model was built with only pieces from Lego sets 75909, 60084, 75080 and 60033.

"The years following Queen Amidala's reign were unkind to the inhabitants of Naboo and life had been tough under the ruthless rule of the Empire. A collection of natives - both Gungan and human - resisted Imperial occupation, though they were poorly resourced and Imperial manhunts ensured that their numbers stayed low.

The fall of the Empire provided an opportunity for the underground resistance to emerge and spark a full rebellion. They launched a guerrilla campaign of hit and run attacks, destroying key communication infrastructure before inspiring the general population to join the uprising.

Amongst the rebels' limited fleet was the Naboo Wasp, a small strike fighter that outmanoeuvred the Empire's in fights within Naboo's atmosphere. The craft was inspired by the wasps of the Naboo swamps, tenacious insects that would miraculously evade all attempts to eradicate the hive. The ship's design was based on the golden-era N-1 Starfighter, though limited resources forced Naboo engineers to build the ship's thrusters using scrap salvaged from the Great Grass Plains."

Cheers,

Jay

Naboo Wasp and Gungan Pilot by J3P7, on Flickr

Top Profile by J3P7, on Flickr

Side Profile3 by J3P7, on Flickr

ImageTwin Proton Torpedos (and 2x SLS!) by J3P7, on Flickr

Gungan Pilot and Cockpit Controls by J3P7, on Flickr
J3P7

Postby Sydag » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:49 am

I'd like some clarification about the pilot/driver rule ; let's say I want to upgrade the T-47 Airspeeder, do I have to keep a crew of two, and only two, no more no less !?
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby dWhisper » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:30 am

You can alter the crew as you see fit to meet the needs of the build and your take on the evolution of the ship. It simply needs to have space for a pilot if the ship had it... but you could expand out (say by turning a Y-wing into a multi-crew bomber, for example).
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby TheMisFetts » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:33 pm

@J3P7

That Wasp definitely looks like a dogfighter! The engines are great. Having it cobbled together from pieces of the old N-1 is exactly what the Rebel Alliance would have done. Nice work!
TheMisFetts

Postby Solo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Minor update:

Giving out posters was a pretty good suggestion, so we'll be adding these to the prize lineup. I'll post an official update when I get the prints from Firespray - probably end of this week, maybe early next. We're about at the halfway point and the movie is just coming out so I'd be posting an update soon anyways. Won't be the top 20, but more than the top 3. Stay tuned and happy building everyone.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby TheMisFetts » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 am

Oh, those look great! That's a nice additional perk!
TheMisFetts

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:35 pm

does the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon count for this contest? Not that you could improve on something like this:
Spoiler: show
crazybirdman

Postby dWhisper » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:08 pm

They are not canon, so no.

Stick to the core canon for your inspiration: that's the movies and Clone Wars & Rebels TV series.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:37 pm

gotcha, will try to get an entry in before vacation. Those posters look pretty darn sweet!
crazybirdman

TIE/ADS V2

Postby kevinmboots77 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:58 am

My submission for the Star War: Evolved contest, the TIE /ADS
ImageTIE/ADS by kevinmboots77, on Flickr

The TIE/ADS (Assault Drop Ship) was designed and built to replace the aging Imperial Patrol Transport which itself had started life as the Republic Police Gunship. Using of the TIE ball cockpit helped to cut costs and training time. TIE pilot candidates who were not good enough for front line duty were intended to be tapped as the pilot and gunners for the TIE/ADS.
The large, pressurized, dual door bay aft of the cockpit could hold various cargo but was intended to transport Stormtroopers to and from the front lines, from either orbiting Starships or ground based garrisons. The heavy blaster turrets are controlled from a dedicated gunner in the dual seat cockpit to soften the landing zone before landing and disembarking of its Troops. A double, swing down blaster at the aft of the ship helped to discourage pursuit. The TIE/ADS had a secondary mission of offering Close Air Support (CAS) to ground troops and Evac of injured troops when called for.
The development and testing of the TIE Advanced prototype's S-foil configuration helped with enabling the TIE/ADS to use the high efficient solar collector that are one of the hallmarks of the TIE series. With the S-foils closed, the TIE/ADS could be stored in a smaller space than the Sentinel-Class Shuttle while maintaining a similar troop capacity. The addition of a optional Class 1 Hyperdrive to this craft increased its versatility enabling the TIE/ADS to reach the far corners of the Empire and execute the Emperor’s will at a moments notice.
The TIE/ADS production was about to start when the Empire suffered its defeat at Endor, as such not many were ever produced in the chaotic time that followed. Most were used by Shadowtroopers being deployed by Imperial officials in attempts to consolidate power.

ImageTIE/ADS V2 by kevinmboots77, on Flickr

Last edited by kevinmboots77 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
kevinmboots77onflickr Use to be HooiserZephyr on ftbt.net
kevinmboots77

Postby TheMisFetts » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Wow! That is great! Nice work!
TheMisFetts

Star Wars: Evolved Contest Update, Now With Posters!

Postby Staff » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Star Wars: Evolved Contest PostersTonight marks the halfway point for our latest contest, and at the request of a few members and with the help of another we've added an additional incentive to the prize pool: now the top seven ranked entries will each receive one of these 18"x24" posters featuring the design from the announcement post. I'm sure you can all figure out why we went with such an odd number of prize slots.

In case you missed the announcement, the challenge is to pick some canon ship or vehicle from before The Force Awakens and put your own spin on it - create an evolved version like what they've done with the X-Wings and TIE fighters now that a few decades have passed in the Star Wars universe. All the specifics can be found here and the deadline is four weeks from midnight tonight (that's 11:59PM PST January 16th 2016).

Thanks again to Firespray for providing the prints, and ravingrem for the idea. Good luck builders!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2015/12/19/star-wars-evolved-contest-update-now-with-posters/
Staff

Postby TomGilson » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:03 am

So take a tie advanced and that's ok. And a mod/first order tie interceptor not.
TomGilson

Postby Solo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:13 am

Nope, thank you for pointing that out. I didn't remember the TIE Advanced Prototype set when I first saw that entry so it didn't seem like there were any issues, but there clearly is. That entry also doesn't qualify because it's based on an official set. I've contact him so he knows, and posted another update to make that clarification more widely known as well as amended the rules post. Sorry about that guys.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kevinmboots77 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:42 am

TomGilson wrote:So take a tie advanced and that's ok. And a mod/first order tie interceptor not.

I have redesigned it so it does not look like the TIE Advance Prototype. I hope this meets with everyone's approval.
kevinmboots77onflickr Use to be HooiserZephyr on ftbt.net
kevinmboots77

Postby etcknight » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Ace / Onions,

What's the likelihood of a new FBTB shirt being sold / offered / given at some point? It's be cool to get something with the "Evolved Starfighters" logo on the back, and the FBTB logo on the front.

etcknight
etcknight

Postby Solo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:08 pm

No plans for that, it would have to be reworked for printing on a shirt and I think there are too many colors in the ship itself to be viable.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby etcknight » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Don,

If the colors were reworked / simplified, I think you could get away with 4 colors.

If printed on a gray shirt, there would only be 4 additional colors (white, black, orange, red). Or, it could be printed on a white shirt with 4 colors (ray, black, orange, red), or a black shirt (white, gray, orange, red).

The FBTB logo could be any of those colors. Just a thought. (I still think gray shirt would be the best.)

etcknight
etcknight

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds