Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC the 80s! Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:55 am

When I read 80s movies and cars my first thought was The Cannonball Run, but that just didn't work out. Rather than watch yet another deadline roll past with some half-finished builds just sitting on the table I switched to plan B and cobbled together this simple little vehicle last night:

ImageCommandant Lassard's golf cart by Andrew, on Flickr

Looks like each Police Academy movie used a slightly different model. This one is based on the first.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Solo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 am

jp-30 wrote:Quick question. It's currently Daylight Savings time (PDT) on the US West Coast, I believe. the contest ends at 11:59pm PST, so that's actually when clocks turn 10:59pm on the US West Coast?

If I'm correct, I don't want people missing out because the contest ends an hour earlier than what they were assuming the deadline is...

I'm hoping the deadline is when clocks hit 11:59 PM on the US West Coast - ie PDT, not PST!

dWhisper wrote:11:59 PDT, or the last minute before the clock switches over to Thursday where Don and Ace live.

Yeah, my bad there, I forgot the acronym changes. You have twelve and a half hours remaining. Here's a handy timer.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jp-30 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:58 am

Perfect - gives me ~2 hours after I get home to swap out the pieces from the 2 bricklink packages I'm hoping will be in the mailbox (!?), then take some photos and upload & embed.
jp-30

Postby rolli » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 am

I'm too young for all the stuff you guys are posting :P Therefor I went with one of my childhood heroes and picked one of James Bond's many iconic vehicles. Not that it would stand a chance against the combined 80s craze that you pulled out of a hat and that I wasn't aware of but I loved building it anyway:

The Aston Martin V8 Vantage from James Bond 007: The Living Daylights (1987).

Image007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage by Rolli, auf Flickr

Two more images, showing the intact right side (since the left front wheel gets blown off in the movie) and the back.

Thanks for the fun contest and best of luck to everyone entering!

Best
Markus / rolli
rolli

Postby DagsBricks » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:09 pm

I freaking love your windshield technique.
DagsBricks

Postby ELF298 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Can we use backgrounds that relate to our model, such as taking a picture outside with modified terrain etc?
ELF298

Postby tekkamanraiden » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:59 pm

I know this won't count since I didn't use flickr but Yahoo seems to have decided to nuked my flickr account and won't let me create another. Still I had fun building and wanted to show my creation just for fun.
tekkamanraiden

Postby Solo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

ELF298 wrote:Can we use backgrounds that relate to our model, such as taking a picture outside with modified terrain etc?
Outdoor photos are fine, just keep in mind the intent here is to show off you MOC, not make a scene for it or anything.

tekkamanraiden wrote:Yahoo seems to have decided to nuked my flickr account and won't let me create another

That's odd, have you tried using a different email to make an account?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby naugem » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Here's my entry. Let’s see if someone remembers this cartoon :p . While there's a lot of nostalgia for many 80's properties, this one seems to have been mostly forgotten. I watched a couple of episodes on youtube to get a better image of Drill Sgt. (couldn't find much on the internets), and let's just say it doesn't hold up too well. Still, the vehicles are cool, and Drill Sgt. was always my favorite (seemed the most useful against the Monster Minds). For the build I tried to balance resemblance to the original design, looks, and play features.

Herc Stormsailor and Oon

Ready to dig in

Drill Sgt.

Tail up (with gun retracted)

Ready for combat (with gun deployed)

The cartoon name was Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.
You can see more pics at my gallery.
Now I need to build myself one of the bad guys...
Last edited by naugem on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
naugem

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:52 pm

My entry; a Batmobile based on the Challenge of the Super friends:

ImageChallenge of the Super Friends by Kodiak Sanders, on Flickr

Reference image: http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/up ... obiles.jpg
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby ELF298 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:22 pm

The moment I saw this contest on the forums I scrambled for ideas. Although I had quite a few good ones, a great one persisted in my head... "Mad" Max Rockatansky's modified V8 Interceptor from Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior

Max and "Dog" next to the Interceptor
ImageSAM_2488 by cadbane298, on Flickr

Max's modified engine and side exhaust
ImageSAM_2495 by cadbane298, on Flickr

A view from behind including the two gas tanks Max added in and a spare tire.
ImageSAM_2496 by cadbane298, on Flickr

Profile of the Interceptor
ImageSAM_2498 by cadbane298, on Flickr

Max and "Dog"
ImageSAM_2491 by cadbane298, on Flickr

Good luck to all!
ELF298

Postby Boyfromvalley » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:15 pm

naugem wrote: The cartoon name was Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.
You can see more pics at my gallery.
Now I need to build myself one of the bad guys...

Wow, I was actually going to make this my entry too, but went with Bullet, as I didn't think I would get all the bricks needed in time. Brilliant job and excellent work on the drill function, I'm still trying to figure that one.
Boyfromvalley

Postby LegoPercyJ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Last Minute entry!

Knight Rider!

Image 2 by E Apodaca, on Flickr

Image 3 by E Apodaca, on Flickr

More photos soon!
LegoPercyJ

Postby filmvr » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Here's KITT with Michael Knight behind the wheel - from the classic 80's TV series: Knight Rider. He is built out of 100% lego elements, some of which have custom printing. The red LED brick from set 31038 provides the glow behind the scanner:

Knight Industries Two Thousand by filmVR, on Flickr

KITT side view by filmVR, on Flickr

The main human characters are assembled from existing printed minifig parts, and KITT's digital dashboard is created with custom printed elements:

Devon, Bonnie, Michael, & KITT by filmVR, on Flickr

Hope you like this MOC. More pictures can be found on my Flickr photostream. Thanks!
filmvr

Postby DejaDoink » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) - The V8 Interceptor

The Interceptor originates in the first film, Mad Max, as the "Pursuit Special" of the MFP. The car is brought back for the sequel, albeit heavily modified, which is what is built here. I went with the 6 stud wide build as it seemed to keep everything a bit more proportional.

ImageMax, "Dog," and the V8 Interceptor by DejaDoink, on Flickr
Max, "Dog," and the V8 Interceptor.

ImageTop (Open) View by DejaDoink, on Flickr
Top view showing that the car can seat both Max and "Dog" in the interior.

ImageSide View by DejaDoink, on Flickr

ImageFront View by DejaDoink, on Flickr
"Makes 600 Horsepower at the wheels"

ImageBack View by DejaDoink, on Flickr
The two large fuel tanks and the spare front tire are secured in the rear of the car, allowing Max to travel farther through the wasteland.

There are a few more photos in the album. You can check them out here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/Cm2KC2

Hope you enjoyed the build. Best of luck to everyone!

The Mad Max Wiki served as very valuable source for reference photos and information. Figured I'd give them a shoutout for the amount of time I spent there.
DejaDoink

Postby jp-30 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Here's one of the most iconic cars from TV from my childhood. ZZ Top's Hot-Rod "Eliminator", that featured in 4 different music videos from singles off the Eliminator album. This car was a staple on RTR Countdown in New Zealand for most of 1983. No doubt most people will have caught it regularly on MTV channels around the world.

In each of the 4 videos, generally three big haired 80's babes would drive up in the Hot Rod, and help out some hapless individual, sometimes by giving them the keys to Eliminator itself. ZZ Top would be nearby playing their special brand of blues boogie rock n roll.

ZZ Top & Eliminator by jp-30, on Flickr

Inside the engine bay & backwards opening door by jp-30, on Flickr

Front view (as seen on the album cover) by jp-30, on Flickr

Eliminator in profile by jp-30, on Flickr

ImageThe 3 80's girls on a mission, and a rear view of the car by Jon-Paul Hansen, on Flickr
jp-30

Postby Solo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:54 pm

filmvr: as much as I hate to do this, your KITT does not qualify.
The Rules wrote:No pre-existing or virtual models.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby rodiziorobs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:56 pm

...There's no case to big, no case to small!
When you need help, just call...
CH-CH-CH-Chip and Dale! Rescue Rangers!

Built from a skateboard, desk fan, battery, and cork and wingnut steering wheel, the Ranger Mobile keeps these gumshoes hot on the trail.

More photos below, and on my Flickr page, including one with the brick-built chipmunks next to a minifig for scale reference.

ImageMOC the 80s by rodiziorobs, on Flickr

(sorry for the poor photo edit :P)
See more on my Flickr page.
rodiziorobs

Previous

Return to Contests & Community Builds