Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC the 80s! Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:30 pm

We waffled a bit on the vehicle limit when we were discussing it and settled on wheeled vehicles. Tank tracks are pushing it but close enough. Strictly hovering vehicles shouldn't count but things like the Delorean and Spinner that are drivable cars that also fly are cool. Walkers are out but I still want to do a walker contest at some point.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:54 pm

dWhisper wrote:
Ultron32 wrote:Saying that vehicles like the Mystery Machine, which are not from the 80s, count as from the 80s for this contest, makes me unsure (as someone who did not exist until well after the 80s). The Muppets Movie came out less than a year before the 80s, so I'd think that would count, but what about Speed Racer? or Adam West Batman?

Or, you know, you could read the description where I explained exactly why the Mystery Machine was in the description...
Sure, Scooby-Doo was more 60s and 70s, but it was Saturday Morning cartoon reruns that got us all hooked on it while eating our just awful sugary cereals based on Nintendo characters.

I did understand why you included Scooby Doo, I just was trying to figure out what other non-80s things also could be included. Sorry if my phrasing made it hard to understand.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby TonyStark26 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:37 pm

I just have one word for this contest..... TRON.
TonyStark26

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Ultron32 wrote:I just was trying to figure out what other non-80s things also could be included.

As long as the car you have in mind was featured in some movie or TV show from the 80's it's cool, even if it came from something earlier. Herbie, for example, qualifies thanks to Goes Bananas in 1980.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby rodiziorobs » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 am

Solo wrote:We waffled a bit on the vehicle limit when we were discussing it and settled on wheeled vehicles... Walkers are out but I still want to do a walker contest at some point.

Rats. I hadn't seen this and I already started building a walker. Well, back to the drawing board...
See more on my Flickr page.
rodiziorobs

Postby naugem » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 am

Nice to see a contest here again, and with a great topic!
Too bad I'm terrible at building cars.
It also falls right in line with SHIPtember, now that I was thinking of taking a stab at it. This contest might be a good excuse to postpone that until next year XD

2 questions:
The rules mention that the vehicle has to appear in a TV show or movie. So no video game-only vehicles?
Does the vehicle have to be motorized?
naugem

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 am

Only if said Video Game was somehow tied to a movie or TV show (let's not forget the timeless classic that is Captain N the Game Master is from 89).

No on the motorized... you're welcome to do it, but even we aren't crazy enough to make that a requirement...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:09 am

Lion Voltron no?.... gosh golly darn it, not sure if I have a vehicle mode in me... (apologies for shameless self promotion)
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 am

dWhisper wrote: So, Lion Voltron no, crappy vehicle Voltron yes.
dWhisper

Postby naugem » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:47 am

Oh well, my Moon Patrol MOC will have to wait.

I think I phrased my question wrong. I didn't mean if the MOC had to be motorized. I meant that if the source vehicle had to be motorized (as opposed for example to a Flintstones car).
naugem

Postby dWhisper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 am

Flintstones car would be perfectly okay (there were a few different relaunches in the 80s). It needs to be a car... no one said the motor had to be a machine. ;)
dWhisper

Postby wace mindu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Boyfromvalley wrote:Got a few questions, can it be a futuristic vehicle? I realise what I have in mind I can't enter as I've already uploaded it online and here even a little over a week ago, and I don't want to go making any changes. But something like the Capture Chariot from Visionaries; it doesn't look anything like a car or truck but is a ground craft. Example; the Thundertank from Thundercats.

wow ! visionaries! those were some awesome toys
Duuuude! I've tried several Thundertanks...aww man. i may just have to get in on this ...no time though.
I really hope someone came make an AWESOME Thundertank...it was a sweet vehicle.
wace mindu

Postby PurpleDave » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Have you ever priced one of those Ambulances that went into the Ecto-1? I'd suggest you save all of your money now to get one that's working.

The problem with the ambulance base is that it was already essentially a custom vehicle. Cadillac never made ambulances. Another company (Mercury-Millar) bought Caddie chassis, and made ambulances on them. Both the fact that very few were made each year (40 was the record year for that company), finding the same base is almost impossible. They used a different vehicle for the unmodified base, and a third for Ghostbusters II after the first died on the Brooklyn Bridge. Heck, the "Ecto-1" shown in the instruction book never even appeared in either movie, as you can tell by comparing the headlights. Both the Ecto-1 and Ecto-1a have twin headlights over twin fog lamps (mounted within the bumper). The book photo shows the right number if headlights, but has triple fog lamps instead (still mounted in the bumper). I don't think I've ever seen a photo of a replica that uses the right base vehicle (remember, three were used on-screen, and even the black version eventually got modified into an official replica to promote a video game, so that's like 10% of the model year that's off the table).
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby Boyfromvalley » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:39 am

Question about building bikes. Do they have to be entirely brick built or can we still use the moulded frames 85983 or 89536. I got one idea already done in LDD.
Boyfromvalley

Postby dWhisper » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:37 am

Those are bricks, so they'd be fine. The only potential downside to things like that is that unless they are used creatively, they won't get much support come time to vote.
dWhisper

Postby LegoPercyJ » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:04 pm

So, for the having to have some sort of inccarnation durring the eighties, do reruns count? If not, do commer ials featuring the vehicle count? Or comics?
LegoPercyJ

Postby matoli » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:03 am

My MOC is Street Hawk, the famous '80 TV series (Updated on Sept 20th, see details at the bottom of this reply)*

Image3 by matoliv, su Flickr

and
Image4 by matoliv, su Flickr

and
Image5 by matoliv, su Flickr

and
Image6 by matoliv, su Flickr

and
Image7 by matoliv, su Flickr

* Updates:
- resized moto to fit with minifigure
- introduced minifigure
- enhanced the mechanic system
Last edited by matoli on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matoli

Postby Trooper10 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm sure this has been ruled on before but is Lego string cut to length allowable or would I need to wad up the unused portion and hide it in the gas-tank?
Trooper10

Postby Solo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:12 pm

LegoPercyJ wrote:So, for the having to have some sort of inccarnation durring the eighties, do reruns count? If not, do commer ials featuring the vehicle count? Or comics?
We're sticking with movies and TV shows that were made in the 80's, so no to those questions. Sorry man.

Trooper10 wrote:I'm sure this has been ruled on before but is Lego string cut to length allowable or would I need to wad up the unused portion and hide it in the gas-tank?
That would be modifying an element, so no. Still not allowed. But it sounds like you already have a solution.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

matoli wrote:My MOC is Street Hawk, the famous '80 TV series.

Heh, this was going to be my entry too, but the main piece I need I don't think Lego have ever produced in black since I've not been able to find it. Anyway, I've moved on to a different idea.
Boyfromvalley

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds