Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC the 80s! Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 pm

In the whole of human history, the 80s represent probably the most insane explosion of pop culture and absurdity, a glorious time of poofy hair, acid-wash jeans, keytars, and shopping malls. Almost everything popular today had some sort of roots in those glorious 80s... from all the movie reboots to the TV show reboots to the books and music and style fads.

As a decade, it gave us Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, and those gave us two LEGO sets. The Ecto-1 is one of the best sets LEGO has ever put out (inspired by a LEGO fan, no less), and the DeLorean is a terrible car that is so iconic you can't avoid it. But more than all of that, the most popular thing about the 80s has got to be reminiscing about the 80s. Sure, Scooby-Doo was more 60s and 70s, but it was Saturday Morning cartoon reruns that got us all hooked on it while eating our just awful sugary cereals based on Nintendo characters.

The 90s may have killed off the 80s in a wave of hypercolor shirts and snap bracelets, but it also gave rise to "I Love the 80s," the only time that VH-1 was relevant to anyone other than the same target market for Lifetime movies. It let us see our child stars grown up, but more importantly, it let us see all of the cars that dominated television and movies in the 80s. The DeLorean in Back to the Future was so popular that it made a car that was worse quality than the worst Best-Lock set a collector's item. Have you ever priced one of those Ambulances that went into the Ecto-1? I'd suggest you save all of your money now to get one that's working. There was KITT, Magnum's Ferrari, the A-Team Van, and so many other things that you couldn't throw a rock in that decade without hitting something iconic.

That's where this contest comes in. It's time that we MOC the 80s!

The Challenge: Build an iconic vehicle from an 80s Movie or TV show.  Pick out a car (or truck or van or bike... ground vehicles only here kids) and MOC that up, LEGO style.

Basics

• Your build has to be a car, bike, truck, van, or RV, or something reasonably similar... that means no boats, ships, subs, air or space craft (the Eagle 5 totally qualifies though)

• You cannot pick the DeLorean, Ecto-1, or Mystery Machine since they're already sets

• "Iconic" means it has to stand out in some way or for some reason. People should be able to name the movie just by seeing the car. When in doubt ask the staff, or pop in to chat with a pic of it and see how recognizable it really is

• It must be minifig scale and have room for at least the driver

• Minifig(s) are optional but strongly recommended

• Stickers are allowed on/in the vehicle and figure(s)

• Your submission cannot be an existing Lego Ideas project

• You cannot submit it to Lego Ideas until after the contest is over

You're allowed up to five photos in your submission post and you can link to a gallery with more. Submitting your model to Lego Ideas after the contest is over is completely optional. However, if the winner chooses to post theirs, we'll break our tacit embargo on promoting in-progress Ideas projects and create a banner to help advertise it on our site, and we'll keep everyone updated if it makes progress with followup posts as warranted.

Standard Contest Restrictions:

• No more than one entry per person.

• Custom stickers are allowed this time, but no unofficial or modified parts allowed.

• No pre-existing or virtual models.

• No changes allowed after the deadline.

How to Enter:
Simply post your submission photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline, which is 11:59PM PST September 30th. The first image posted will be used in the polls. You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account you can sign up for free. Once uploaded you will need to embed your photos in the forum.

Here's a quick visual guide on how to copy the correct code for the forum.

Follow that then paste it into your reply, and do not add any more forum tags to the Flickr code. It works as is. Preview your post to verify that it worked before submitting it. If it didn't work, PM Solo.

Please do not post any non-entry photos to the contest thread, and remove any embedded images if  you quote a submission to avoid cluttering the thread. You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.

Photography note: be sure to submit the best pictures possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photos cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess. If you wind up submitting your model to Lego Ideas after the poll has ended, you're obviously welcome to further enhance your photos however you wish.

Winners will be determined in a single week long poll following the deadline.

Prizes:

First place wins a 21108 Ecto-1 and a 21109 Exo Suit, and advertising on FBTB if they decide to submit their build to Ideas. Also, as sort of a stretch goal if we receive more than 60 entries we'll also throw in a 21110 Research Institute to sweeten the pot.

Runner up will receive a 75902 Mystery Machine, in keeping with the theme.
---
Permalink: https://www.fbtb.net/contests/2015/09/01/moc-the-80s-contest/
Staff

Re: MOC the 80s! Contest

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:09 am

We've had this on planned for a while now, but other things kept popping up and pushing it back, then we forgot about it, and before we knew it we'd gone a full year without any building contest on FBTB. I'm looking forward to this.

Rule Clarifications:
"Your submission cannot be an existing Lego Ideas project" means exactly what it says. Someone else could have built the car you want to build and created an Ideas project already, but you are still free to make your own version to submit to the contest. But if you have a car on Ideas already you cannot use that as your entry. Simple. Everyone relax.

Also, the deadline should be PDT, not PST. Midnight tonight is the cutoff time. Here's a handy count-down timer.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Magmafrost » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 am

Good luck finding something which isn't already an Ideas project. I'd suggest putting a minimum number of supporters on that one.
Magmafrost

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:08 am

My understanding of that part is as an extension of the "no pre-existing models" restriction. If you have submitted a particular vehicle to Lego Ideas you cannot use that very same model for this contest, but you and everybody else can submit a different model of the same vehicle.

E.g. there must be dozens of A-Team vans on Lego Ideas, from amazing to mediocre. As none of those models are mine, I could build my own A-Team van and submit it to this contest.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:22 am

It also doesn't matter if someone else has sub,utter the idea. Make your own version for the contest, and make it better.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby darth_fett » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:26 am

Is Gingerbeard Man correct in his assumption? I'm not sure if the flying RV from Spaceballs qualifies as spacecraft, but I'm guessing yes? So off-limits? Or what about the police cruiser from Blade Runner? It's a sort of hover/flying terrestrial thing. Guessing living mounts are out of the question as well; no dino riders. Sigh.
darth_fett

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:13 am

See my comment above, Gingerbread Man is correct. You can redo a vehicle (new builds doesn't always mean unique, we all rebuild our MOCs), and it really doesn't matter if someone else has an idea so long as we see your take on it.

Your build has to be a car, bike, truck, van, or RV, or something reasonably similar... that means no boats, ships, subs, air or space craft (the Eagle 5 totally qualifies though)

Eagle 5 = Spaceballs RV, and I'm sad that you didn't know that was its name. ;)

Blade Runner's spinner is much more of an aircraft, so I'd have to lean towards no (but will accept second opinions or overrulings from other Staff members). Generally, it needs to somehow also be a vehicle, or so close to a vehicle that we'll laugh about it.
dWhisper

Postby darth_fett » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:15 am

I'm forcing myself onto a day schedule so I'm a bit sleep deprived right now. Forgive me for forgetting names please. ;) I came to another idea; what about M.A.S.K. vehicles? A bunch of them converted into flyers or boats. But I don't want to do the stupid Rhino big rig, so is Matt Trakker's flying T-bird or the copter motorcycle out of the question as well?
darth_fett

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:07 am

Saying that vehicles like the Mystery Machine, which are not from the 80s, count as from the 80s for this contest, makes me unsure (as someone who did not exist until well after the 80s). The Muppets Movie came out less than a year before the 80s, so I'd think that would count, but what about Speed Racer? or Adam West Batman?
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:45 am

darth_fett wrote:I'm forcing myself onto a day schedule so I'm a bit sleep deprived right now. Forgive me for forgetting names please. ;) I came to another idea; what about M.A.S.K. vehicles? A bunch of them converted into flyers or boats. But I don't want to do the stupid Rhino big rig, so is Matt Trakker's flying T-bird or the copter motorcycle out of the question as well?

M.A.S.K. is totally allowed, they match the category of cars/trucks/etc. Just because they did stuff like strap crazy engines on to it and tried to fly them doesn't make them not cars. The car/truck/motorcycle just needs to be identifiable (which they were in that cartoon).

Ultron32 wrote:Saying that vehicles like the Mystery Machine, which are not from the 80s, count as from the 80s for this contest, makes me unsure (as someone who did not exist until well after the 80s). The Muppets Movie came out less than a year before the 80s, so I'd think that would count, but what about Speed Racer? or Adam West Batman?

Or, you know, you could read the description where I explained exactly why the Mystery Machine was in the description...

Sure, Scooby-Doo was more 60s and 70s, but it was Saturday Morning cartoon reruns that got us all hooked on it while eating our just awful sugary cereals based on Nintendo characters.

There were also five different Scooby-Doo cartoon series that were in production in the 80s as well, so yes, while the show may have originated earlier, it was most certainly part of the 80s kid's world. I'm sure if you asked someone who was alive for that decade (or, again, read the intro), they would tell you the same.

There are also a lot of Muppet movies from the 80s and a whole bunch of cars. As for Adam West's Batman, only if you are talking about Super Friends (which ran until 86). The style of that particular vehicle is quite distinct from the TV show from the 60s.
dWhisper

Postby onions » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:32 am

omg mask. that cartoon like the g1 transformers show: better left as a memory in my brain. it does NOT stand the test of time. but man those toys, i loved those toys.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 am

Yeah, G1 transformers is pretty rough. G.I. Joe aged surprisingly well in a few cases. A lot better ratio than most 80s cartoons.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:53 am

The Spinner absolutely qualifies and I will fight you Thunderdome style if you want to disallow it.
Spinner is the manufacturer of the type of Police flying car in Blade Runner that can drive as a ground car, take off vertically, hover and cruise using jet propulsion much like Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft today.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Boyfromvalley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:57 am

Got a few questions, can it be a futuristic vehicle? I realise what I have in mind I can't enter as I've already uploaded it online and here even a little over a week ago, and I don't want to go making any changes. But something like the Capture Chariot from Visionaries; it doesn't look anything like a car or truck but is a ground craft. Example; the Thundertank from Thundercats.

Also what about the Turtle van from the 80s series? Does it have to resemble the TV version or the original toy release? Then again, saying that the Nickelodeon series picked up on that and based theirs on the look of the toy.
Boyfromvalley

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:05 am

Okay, I'll relent, spinner is totally in. If we're going on a Thunderdome fight, we should save it for something really good, like if proper names count in Scrabble. To make it easier on the rules, hover cars can count as cars... but should look like cars (which the spinner does).

Boyfromvalley, futuristic is perfectly fine (as is ancient... there were plenty of silly car-type things in Fantasy stuff too). Thundertank would be cool as well, as would the Turtle Van (not that Shellraiser piece of junk) and any other original-cartoon inspired vehicles... so long as they clearly look like the 80s cartoon and not the newer one.

As for the Capture Chariot, I'm not familiar with that cartoon. Looking at pictures, I would say no on it, as it looks a whole lot like a hovercraft to me, not a car.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 am

About the Turtle van, I think the toy version is more iconic than the cartoon version and honestly going either route here would be good. Just as long as it's not the modern remake of it. The Thundertank and other tracked vehicles are welcome. As for the Capture Chariot from Visionaries, I'm unfamiliar with it too, was it some weird floating vehicle that just had wheels on the toy to make it functional, or was it really supposed to be a wheeled vehicle?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:27 am

I guess I don't remember the differences between the toy and the cartoon version... those years are a bit of a haze at this point.

At first glance, it reminded me of the G.I. Joe Vindicator, which I would say is more an aircraft (it did have wheels, but it was meant to fly around). It also was only a toy and in the comics, it was never in any of the cartoons.
dWhisper

Postby Boyfromvalley » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 am

To be honest in the first episode it appeared it did appear as a hovercraft; which I used as building reference. But in later episode they made it look more like the toy with large wheels at the back. All episodes on Youtube have now been blocked by Hasbro.
Boyfromvalley

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 am

So would a hovercraft be allowed or not(thinking of the one from GI JOE)? Are robot horses allowed?
crazybirdman

Postby dWhisper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:12 pm

We may need to discuss that a bit further, but right now, my gut feeling would be to say yes... ish. The emphasis needs to be on the car part. If it was a car that just happened to float a bit off the ground, that'd be cool. If they are more like the G.I. Joe one I linked above, and really more of an aircar, then no.

I'm going to say no on the Robot Horses, as they're more like walkers. Unless they were so cool as to have wheels instead of hooves. So, Lion Voltron no, crappy vehicle Voltron yes.
dWhisper

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds