Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Mecha] Mineral Surveyor *Update*

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Mecha] Mineral Surveyor *Update*

Postby Veers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:08 pm

*Scroll down for the update please*

Hello all, and welcome to my thread.
I'd like to introduce everyone to my latest creation, a Mineral Surveyor Mecha. (I have no nickname for it yet)

I based the design off of my original hoverbike chassis, which some of you may remember. For those of you who don't, here's the best picI have of it. (My others were lost when my PC was eaten by a computer virus)

Anyways, moving on to the rest of the shots now that I'm done with that.

Overview

Frontal Shot

The 'Thigh/Pelvis' Joint

The 'Nose'

The Rear

The Underside

That's all I've got for now! Please let me know if there's anything on it you'd like more pics of, or anything I didn't cover adequately. Thanks for stopping by, and leave me a comment if you've got the time!
Last edited by Veers on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Re: [Mecha] Mineral Surveyor

Postby OOM-9 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:20 pm

That is a nice creation you got there, the design is really neat. I like the way you constructed the legs and the detail of the body. :)
OOM-9

Postby AlternativeRadio » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 pm

This is my favorite of your recent creations. I love when someone can make something like Mecha or anything else associated with fighting and fantasy and turn it into something practical and cool. My only gripes are that I don't really like how the leg attaches to the feet and the nose. I think the connection to the feet looks very weak and the shape of the nose doesn't look very useful.
AlternativeRadio

Postby Veers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:36 pm

@OOM-9; Thank you very much! The legs were what took the longest out of this whole thing. And they were also the most interesting to build.

@Alternative Radio; I'm assuming by nose you mean the main body, and yes, that part is quite obnoxious as it will drop off if handled incorrectly. But surprisingly, the feet connection is quite sturdy and I've never had problems with it.
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Postby AlternativeRadio » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:41 am

By nose I mean the pole sticking out with the trans red stud.
AlternativeRadio

Postby Veers » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:46 am

Oh, okay. That connection is a bit unstable as well, but it was never intended to be moved.
Veers

Postby Galagoo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:29 am

A nice, solid little mecha. Greebling might get a bit overwhelming on this one, but looks good nevertheless.
I really like the nose, by the way. The brick upside down looks oddly cute and cool.

As criticism, I think there are a tad too many trans-red bricks with holed hemispheres. Replacing some of them - perhaps the ones on the top of the surveying equipment - with tiles or something like that might work.
Galagoo

Postby Veers » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 am

Thank you! I'll see how that looks.
Veers

Postby Veers » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:55 pm

I don't think it worked as well as the trans-red parts. What do you guys think?
Veers

Re: [Mecha] Mineral Surveyor *Update*

Postby Galagoo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:44 pm

I don't really know, actually. On one hand I really like the smooth, solid look the tile gives, while on the other hand the trans-red bricks had more mass, which looked good, too.

I'd say it looks a bit better now, though.
Galagoo

Return to LEGO MOC and Minifigure Showcase