Today was the official first day that the life-sized X-wing Starfighter was revealed to the public in its new home at LEGOLAND California. I wasn’t able to attend the official ceremony ’cause stupid work got in the way but I was fortunate that forum member Mos Eisely was headed down there anyway. So I asked him to cover the even for me and here’s his report. There’s also a video followed by a copious amount of pictures of the model. It’s pretty impressive to say the least. I’m looking forward to seeing it in person this weekend.
Posts Tagged ‘9493 X-wing Starfighter’
When I posted earlier this week asking for a volunteer field reporter for the Times Square event that happened earlier today, Maxwell Lux stepped up to the plate and answered the call. He snapped up a few photos and did a write up. A bit unusual for what I was looking for but worth reading:
You know that even in Times Square happening today, right now as I type this? The big reveal is a life-sized LEGO Star Wars X-wing model. Naturally, Gizmodo‘s got the scoop with the pic above. The below press release was also transmitted over the interwebs. We have a field reporter onsite who will be taking pictures and writing up his experience of the event which we will publish later today, so stay tuned.
If you want to check out a video of how the model went from concept to reality, Popular Science has that as well as a bunch more photos.
After the unveiling today, the model will find its way over to LEGOLAND California where it will be on permanent display. The arrival date for the X-wing will be June 13th, right in time for Star Wars Days happening on Father’s Day weekend June 15-16.
If you live in the UK and don’t have enough X-wing fighters, you’ll be pleased to know that Amazon.co.uk has discounted 9493 X-wing Starfighter by a whopping 40%. New price is £29.98 compared to the list price of £49.99.
If you’re in US, you too can partake in a pretty nice deal. The same set is marked 25% off down to $44.97 from MSRP of $59.99.
Fans of the Imperial forces have cause to celebrate as well. I’m too late in posting Amazon.co.uk’s deal of 40% off of the awesome 9492 TIE Fighter, but Amazon US has it discounted 21% to $43.44, down from MSRP of $54.99.
Walmart.com is currently rolling back prices on some original trilogy sets.
- 7965 Millennium Falcon is now $99.97, down from MSRP of $139.99
- 9493 X-wing Starfighter is now $49.97, down from MSRP of $59.99
- And finally, 9492 TIE Fighter is a whopping low $34.97, down from MSRP of $54.99, matching the best sale price we’ve seen this year on this set
It was bound to happen and it finally did. Amazon is price matching Target’s 20% off of LEGO Star Wars sale.
- First up we have 9515 The Malevolence. This set finally dipped below the $100 threshold, down to $95.99, 20% off of MSRP.
- 9516 Jabba’s Palace sees a similar discount at the same price point: $96 even, 20% off of MSRP.
- All you holdouts for a cheap Gungan Sub can finally pickup Queen Amidala for 20% off. 9499 Gungan Sub is now $55.99.
- I’m running out of witty things to say, so I’ll just say this. Almost everything LEGO Star Wars is 20% off, like 9500 Sith Fury-class Interceptor for $71.99, down from $89.99
- 9496 Desert Skiff is $19.99, down from $24.99
- 9498 Saesee Tiin’s Jedi Starfighter is $23.99 down from $29.99
- 9493 X-Wing Starfighter is $48.00, down from $59.99
- 7965 Millennium Falcon is down a whopping 27%, $101.60, from $139.99
- 9492 TIE Fighter is $35.20, down a mind-blowing 36% off of $54.99 MSRP
- 9491 Geonosian Cannon is only 17% off, $16.68 down from $19.99. Still a decent deal.
- 9490 Droid Escape is only 9% off, $18.20 from $19.99. Glitch?
Looking for older sets? Those are on sale too:
- 7957 Sith Nightspeeder is $20, 33% off of $29.99
- Amazon has 7956 Ewok Attack‘s MSRP listed at $29.99, when it’s actualy $24.99, but it’s still a pretty good deal at $18.40
- 7929 The Battle of Naboo is $19.99, down from $24.99
That’s all I could find. Oddly enough, none of the battle packs or the planet series are seeing the same discount.
Amazon has a really nice discount on LEGO’s latest version of Star Wars’ most iconic ship. 9493 X-Wing Starfighter is down 27% to $43.87. Even with California’s sales tax added on top, it’s a really decent deal. Even better if you live in a state that’s not collecting tax from the big A. Free shipping applies even if you don’t have prime so pick one up today!
Amazon.com has a few good deals on various sets. They’re eligible for Free Super-Saver Shipping too, which is always nice. Here are a few highlights:
>>9493 X-Wing – $44.28, was $59.99 (26% off)
>>9474 Battle of Helm’s Deep- $104.74, was $129.99 (19% off)
>>6868 Hulk Helicarrier Breakout- $44.18, was $49.99 (12% off)
>>9471 Urak-Hai Army- $26.95, was $29.99 (10% off)
Get ready to lock your s-foils in attack position all over again. It hasn’t been long since LEGO discontinued the last version of the classic starfighter, 6212. That version, originating as the 4502 X-wing Fighter, has been around since 2004, winning the non-existent award for LEGO set longevity. With the anticipated introduction of the 9493 X-wing Starfighter in January 2012, there haven’t been any extended periods since 1999 that some form of X-wing hasn’t been available. Can this new version match the staying power of its predecessor or will it fade away in two years, only to be forgotten until it’s ultimately remade yet again? (more…)
Happy New Year, folks!
LEGO Shop@Home put up the January 2012 assortment of LEGO Star Wars for preorder. Delivery is to be expected on or around January 30. It should be noted that 9494 Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor and 9495 Gold Leader’s Y-Wing Starfighter are marked as “Hard to Find” meaning they are retailer exclusives. No word yet as to which retailer they will be exclusive to yet. All preorders will come with an exclusive LEGO Star Wars poster. No minimum order indicated and no image of what the poster looks like but if I had to guess, it’s going to be a poster showcasing all the LEGO Star Wars minifigs for 2012.
Is it sad that I’m no longer fazed by the high prices and low piece counts? Such as the TIE Fighter set, priced at $54.99 but has less pieces than Gold Leader’s Y-wing? Eh.
- 9675 Sebulba’s Podracer & Tatooine $9.99
- 9676 TIE Interceptor & Death Star $9.99
- 9674 Naboo Starfighter & Naboo $9.99
- 9488 Elite Clone Trooper & Commando Droid Battle Pack $12.99
- 9489 Endor Rebel Trooper & Imperial Trooper Battle Pack $12.99
- 9490 Droid Escape $19.99
- 9491 Geonosian Cannon $19.99
- 9494 Anakin’s Jedi Interceptor $39.99
- 9495 Gold Leader’s Y-Wing Starfighter $49.99
- 9492 TIE Fighter $54.99
- 9493 X-Wing Starfighter $59.99