If you need a big pile of black parts and another eagle for that massive LotR build you’re definitely gonna to get around to… eventually, Amazon has a deal for you. 30% off is nothing to sneeze at, so snap it up while you can and treat yourself (or someone else, I guess) to a little pre-holiday cheer.
Entertainment Weekly posted yesterday a reveal of the names of the characters shown in the official trailer. Director J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm head honcho Kathleen Kennedy decided to reveal the names in style creating the graphics based on the old Topps trading cards. The only impression I came away with was that the names do not sound stupid. Except for BB-8. Basketball? Ball bearing? Bowling Ball? That one may be too on the nose.
And I guess this is considered news now? Names? At least they tried to make the reveal interesting and putting them on trading cards instead of releasing a spreadsheet. What’s next? Breaking news that special effects were created by machines called “computers”? And that lightsabers aren’t real?
Update: It’s now listed as out of stock with December 21 listed as the next ship date. December 21 also happens to be the last day to order with Express Saver shipping for delivery in time for Christmas; December 22 is the last day with Express shipping to make it under the tree.
21110 Research Institute is now in stock at LEGO Shop@Home. Price is $19.99 with a quantity limit of 1 per household.
Unfortunately, it seems that LEGO sets are excluded from this promotion but on the bright side, there’s a ton of good stuff to get for the geek in all of us. Use coupon code USALERT at checkout if your cart if $40 or more to see the savings reflected. For HI/AK and International, use code INTALERT. Codes expire on 11:59 PST December 15th.
YoYo.com is applying a range of discounts to select LEGO sets on their site until December 28th or while supplies last. This combines with their free 2-day shipping promotion for orders of $49 or more. The discounts range from 10-30% off (according to them) and cover a variety of themes. The X-men set above is 14% off at $43.12. That’s probably one of the better deals to be honest. Scanning the sale page, I noticed that a lot of sets are marked up before applying a discount, making the discounted price the same or nearly the same as MSRP. Still, you may find a few things that may be worth picking up, like that X-men set. Just make sure you double check what MSRP is before checking out so you know if you’re getting a discount or not.
Today is Tuesday December 9th, also known as Guardians of the Galaxy day. And yes I realize it was released digitally a few weeks ago but some of us still like buying tangible media. Besides, buying a hard copy usually nets you a digital copy as well. Anyways, it’s out today on disc. There’s the Blu-ray combo pack for $19.99 on Amazon which includes a Blu-ray disc, 3D Blu-ray, and a digital copy. And I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a combo pack for a major release not include a DVD copy. You can buy it separately for just $9.99. I guess it was inevitable as more people adopt Blu-ray and head toward the eventual 4k standard.
If you live near a Best Buy, are lucky, and like having special packaging, Best Buy has a steelbook version of the Blu-ray combo pack. It’s designed to look like a (GIANT) walkman with the Awesome Mix tape visible in the faux cassette window. It’s $19.99 and supplies are limited. It’s sold out online and only available for pick up in-store at this point. If anyone happens to grab an extra copy…
I was browsing Shop@Home yesterday and noticed that a fair number of LEGO Star Wars sets are now listed as “Sold out” and, typically, when that happens, it’s a sign that the set is discontinued and will no longer be made available through LEGO Shop@Home or its Brand Retail locations. If you do manage to find them at a LEGO store it is probably the last remaining stock the store has. If you’re like me you probably do the year end scramble trying to fill the holes in your collection before it’s too late and you’re paying out the nose for some set you saw go on sale a long time ago but was too lazy to pick it up right then and there. God only knows how many times that’s happened to me.
Fear not, for this year I’ve decided to do something about it. I have assembled a list of the discontinued sets and links to where you can still purchase the item from a retail establishment at MSRP, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more (but not too much more). Some locations may involve a purchase online/pick up in-store one-two punch to get it.
- 7965 Millennium Falcon MSRP $139.99: Amazon $139.99 | Walmart $139.97 | YoYo $139.95
- 75041 Vulture Droid MSRP $24.99: Barnes&Noble $24.95 | kmart $19.99 | Walmart $22.14 | YoYo $27.29
- 75039 V-wing Starfighter MSRP $24.99: Barnes&Noble $24.95 | kmart $24.99 | Walmart $23.39
- 75022 Mandalorian Speeder MSRP $24.99: Barnes&Noble $26.95 | Walmart $22.14
- 75020 Jabba’s Sail Barge MSRP $119.99: Amazon $85.99 | Barnes&Noble $119.95 | kmart $119.99 | Target | Walmart $85.99 | YoYo $89.99
- 75017 Duel on Geonosis MSRP $39.99: Barnes&Noble $42.95 | kmart $39.99
- 75016 Homing Spider Droid MSRP $29.99:
- 75003 A-wing Starfighter MSRP $24.99: Amazon via YoYo $25.79 | Barnes&Noble $26.95
- 75001 Republic Troopers vs Sith Troopers MSRP $12.99: kmart $12.99
- 75000 Clone Troopers vs. Droidekas MSRP $12.99: Amazon $10.79 | kmart $12.99 | YoYo $12.99
The following sets aren’t listed as “Sold out”, instead they are labeled as “Call to check product availability” which means that the product is discontinued and that they have really low stock and don’t want to oversell.
- 75019 AT-TE MSRP $89.99: Amazon $73.27 | LEGO Shop@Home $89.99 | Target $74.99 | Walmart $73.27
- 75018 Jek-14’s Stealth Starfighter MSRP $69.99: Amazon via YoYo $75.79 | Barnes&Noble $74.95 | LEGO Shop@Home $69.99 | Walmart $62.01
- 75015 Corporate Alliance Tank Droid MSRP $19.99: Amazon $16.79 | Barnes&Noble $21.95 | kmart $21.99 | LEGO Shop@Home $19.99 | Target $16.79 | YoYo $19.99
- 75004 Z-95 Headhunter MSRP $49.99: Amazon $40.36 | Barnes&Noble $52.95 | kmart $39.99 | LEGO Shop@Home $49.99 | Target $38.99 | YoYo $49.79