Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Are there plans for more LEGO stores?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Are there plans for more LEGO stores?

Postby Drock » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 am

Any chance of us getting a LEGO store in Columbus, Ohio?

I was kind of surprised (and jelous!) that the first store here in Ohio is in Cincinnati. I know that companies should be hesitant to keep opening more stores in this economy, but it just seems that it would make sense, due to population and projected growth, and people still doing relatively well.

Does LEGO try to stay with places where there might be tourism and out-of-town family visitors?

Ah, well, I can dream. I'm sure I'll visit the new Cincy store when it opens, just to see some of the built sets in person (Dropship/AT-OT, I'm looking at you). At least not having a store close by keeps me out of trouble with my accountant. XD
Drock

Re: Are there plans for more LEGO stores?

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 pm

I don't know how the LEGO stores in Britain do, but we definitely need some more! And if they open one in Cardiff they've got the first applicant for manager here. :lol:

But seriously, the four we have got are pretty distant from many people (and yes, I can imagine how far some people in America have to travel!)
Jabba the Taff

Postby Joedward » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:23 pm

Four? I thought it was three now. :S
All I want is a new LEGO shop in London. I don't think I'd care where in London, I don't mind the travel, I do care about shipping costs though. (even though they might be less than the costs to travel to and from) :| (it's the principle of it.....)

But anyhow. I don't suppose someone could say why the ones that closed did? Not performing well enough? Something else?
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby donneyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 am

We need some stores in wisconsin, badly.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby Andi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:29 am

We really could need one in Frankfurt or Rhein-Main-Gebiet.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby bluemoose » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 am

Joedward wrote:I don't suppose someone could say why the ones that closed did? Not performing well enough? Something else?

The Kingston & Birmingham stores weren't making enough money according to the overall manager of the UK stores. They've been looking for other opportunities in the UK, but nothing has come to fruition yet. I suspect they are very interested in opening a store in the north of the UK - somewhere like the trafford centre or metro centre must be high on their list.

I was genuinely surprised the big new shopping centres in London & Bristol didn't open with Lego store each - I guess the rent is too high.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby liquidcross » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

I want to know why there isn't one in Connecticut. There's a corporate headquarters here! It makes no sense! >:(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 am

bluemoose wrote:I was genuinely surprised the big new shopping centres in London & Bristol didn't open with Lego store each

Same, I was so PO'd when I visited Westfield and found there was to be no LEGO store. I hope one turns up eventually, if it does I am so going to try and get a job there.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Joedward wrote:if it does I am so going to try and get a job there.

Pfft good luck. Trying to get a job at a lego store is easy. Succeeding is not. I tried for months down here but everything seemed to go wrong and you can only apply online.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby infallible » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:16 am

Not sure if this helps you guys any, but I'll say what I've heard. It certainly does seem like LEGO is opening a lot of new retail stores lately. It looks like they're making a push to expand their company-owned retail presence, since stores seem to be opening up pretty regularly.

At the opening in Houston last year, I was lucky enough to meet a gentleman that was in charge of LEGO retail operations for North America. (Needless to say, everyone that worked for the company was pretty nervous when he showed up.) We got to chat a bit about if they opened up a second store in Texas. It sounds like they're going for pretty big areas for now. So take a look at your state or region and think about the largest city in that area.

What I've noticed is that they're also looking for areas that are growing. They seem to focus on suburbs of cities that have growing family populations. In both Houston and Dallas, they opted for an area that's pretty far from the main part of the city. So don't expect them to open a store downtown or in a busy, high-end shopping mall.

It also looks like they're monitoring the success of these new stores VERY closely. It's a new venture for them, so don't expect them to take any big gambles at this point. I mean, I wish there were a store here in Austin, but if I were LEGO, I wouldn't open one up here yet, either.
infallible

Postby Andi » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:44 am

infallible wrote:So don't expect them to open a store downtown or in a busy, high-end shopping mall.

Well, but they do exactly this in Frankfurt.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:39 pm

liquidcross wrote:I want to know why there isn't one in Connecticut. There's a corporate headquarters here! It makes no sense! >:(

Yeah... that's always bothered me. Let's get one in southwest CT, please. XD
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby infallible » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Andi wrote:
infallible wrote:So don't expect them to open a store downtown or in a busy, high-end shopping mall.

Well, but they do exactly this in Frankfurt.

Ha ha. Germany's a little different, since Germans buy the most LEGO per capita. I guess I should have prefaced what I was saying was that it was for the US (maybe N. America as a whole).
infallible

Postby chawan_cut » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:17 pm

there's rumors that they'll be opening one at Ala Moana Center here in Hawai'i. Gotta wait and see!
chawan_cut

Postby dakdogba » Mon May 04, 2009 7:45 am

i want an irish one. matbe in dublin or cork where the zavvi store used to be. and in cardiff i visit there a lot any have never been in a lego store. anyway, lego is supposed to be a europran company but america gets most of the stores
dakdogba

Postby lego-method » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:53 am

Just wondering if Lego plans on opening any store in Canada. Is there a reason they can't have one up here?
lego-method

Postby dWhisper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, no, based on the following irrefutable logic:

1) It's Canada
2) See point 1
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby legodeathstrike » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:59 am

dWhisper wrote:Well, no, based on the following irrefutable logic:

1) It's Canada
2) See point 1

I'm from Canada too, can you please state your reasons...I curious to know.
legodeathstrike

Postby hatcher » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 am

legodeathstrike wrote:
dWhisper wrote:Well, no, based on the following irrefutable logic:

1) It's Canada
2) See point 1

I'm from Canada too, can you please state your reasons...I curious to know.

Hmm let me think. Oh I know - It's a joke.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 am

Please go ask Daz Hoo to explain it to you...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Next

Return to Ask LEGO