Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Poll] Power Miners vs Rock Raiders

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Poll!

Rock Raiders
48%
Power Miners
52%

Total votes : 64

[Poll] Power Miners vs Rock Raiders

Postby ufjason » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:56 pm

I prefer rock raiders. What about you? If rock raiders had dynamite sticks, it would have been perfect.
Last edited by onions on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added poll to the title
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Re: Power Miners vs Rock Raiders

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Power Miners eff tee dubya! The Rock Raiders were poorly constructed short bus rejects that thankfully appeared and died off during my dark ages... They lacked style - and the teal bricks just seemed strange for the theme.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby CoR3Bu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't no how you like Rock Raiders! :S I wouldn't even compare R.R
with Power Miners! :cool:

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode (I was glaiciator on the Power Miners quiz thing), to attention men! ;)
CoR3Bu

Postby Galagoo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:10 pm

I voted for Rock Raiders. Both themes are cool in their own way - almost equally in my opinion - but even though PW has better set design, I just prefer the Rock Raider characters' outfits. Blue and white didn't really turn me on.

... I have to admit, though, that in hindsight it seems pretty disturbing that the most major factor my vote was merely the colour of minifig clothing.. :p
Galagoo

Postby Starwars4j » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Joke topic? Rock raiders had a far superior design going for them, the only thing PM has over RR are the rock monsters and multiple colored crystals.
Starwars4j

Postby Flynn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I always loved RR because even though some of the sets were poorly constructed, if you tweaked the story a bit, it could become a very mature, deep, theme, although still enjoyable to kids. Power Miners has that too, I guess, but their colors are much too flamboyant, and instead of a shipwrecked group of people like in RR, you now just have members of a corporation (I think, I'm not to clear on the PM storyline).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Starwars4j » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Flynn wrote:you now just have members of a corporation (I think, I'm not to clear on the PM storyline).

^Group of genocidal maniacs. Anyone could see the monsters are the true heroes of this story. Valuable lesson too...
Starwars4j

Postby LFN » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Rock Raiders. It gave off a more apocalyptic aura to it, something the Power Miners can only hope to emulate. I can't imagine minifigures being more frightened of the new jelly bean rock monsters than the big brown hulking one from the rock raiders line.
LFN

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Well, it's a tough decision but I think I'm gravitating towards Power Miners, mostly because I have an affinity for bold colors (they do have a pretty sweet color scheme). Of course, this is probably one of the biggest reasons that Power Miners has been more successful than Rock Raiders, because the color scheme is more appealing (the sets practically jump off of the shelves) and the little colored rock monster characters are obviously more appealing to kids as they're more like cartoon characters than the big brown hulk from Rock Raiders.

However, Rock Raiders was very charming in its way. I do dig the retro feel, and in some ways it was reminiscent of the early space lines (classic space, blacktron, m-tron, etc.). Plus, Rock Raiders had the sweet chrome drills! Who can argue with that?!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Re: [Poll] Power Miners vs Rock Raiders

Postby firehawk302 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 am

RR FTW!!!

Seriously, PM just sucks. The color scheme is hideous and is way too bright, the rock monsters look stupid and kiddy, the story is just unoriginal and dumb, and why in hell would the rock monsters be half crystal, half rock?? And the rock monsters are the size of a minifig,! There supposed to be real monsters for Gods sake! and why is the big honkin drill gray? If it was chrome like RR, I might actually buy one of these sets. Just for the drill. And the minifigs are dumb too. Blue helmets? C'mon!

RR was awesome because they had a more industrial feel, a good storyline, MUCH better color scheme, and cool rock monsters! If only they were gray. I really have no complaints about RR. Unfortunately they were about one year before my time, which sucks.

In fact I might just leave this site just because its PM now. SW is soo the way to go.
>>My store>>http://www.BrickMakerCustoms.webs.com <<My store!<<
firehawk302

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:18 am

Someone has their grumpy pants on today... :roll:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby firehawk302 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 am

I'm not grumpy, I just don't like PM.
>>My store>>http://www.BrickMakerCustoms.webs.com <<My store!<<
firehawk302

Postby Yoda 56 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Power Miners is way better! :cool: Nicer sets, better color scheme, awesome minifigure and monsters are in every set. What more can you ask for? Ok, maybe something! :lol: A underground mining base (fear not----its coming this summer) XD .
Yoda 56

Postby Green Brick Giant » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 am

RR had a cool story, and the ships and such were really neat and I think were open to more designs than the new PM. However they were really juniorized, but the design ideas were awesome.

The new one is too... too limited in designs. I have no clue what they will be doing for next year. However the sets as a whole are better built, even if the designs are lazy. Plus the little rock monsters are cute.
"It seems that the more (idiotic, foolish, childish, moronic )passionate members of our community are getting a little upset and impatient to say the least."
Green Brick Giant

Postby comm.fox » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:42 am

i prefer rock raider becasue it more nitty gritty all the character have there own personality and clothing and one way or anouther we could all relate to one of there was even a female character (jet i belive) and much more of a story to it cooler monsters.
if your not part of the solution your part of the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eoIXDQNRh4
btw im the drummer
comm.fox

Postby Lord T » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 am

Rock Raiders played a rather big part in my childhood, what with the great game and the sets themselves. Loved those old figs, loved the Chrome Crusher!
...{Flickr}...
Lord T

Postby Blondie-Wan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 am

It's interesting to me to see all these posts commenting on the relative merits of the storylines. I don't think the overwhelming majority of people think of LEGO lines as even having any stories beyond what kids imagine for them. Are we talking solely about the bits and pieces of story disseminated through the sets' catalog listings and the PM website and so on, or are there actually extensive, detailed narratives publicly available out there of which I'm totally unaware? :shock: (Actually, come to think of it, I do know there were video games for RR; are those part of what we're talking about?)

RR was winding down right about the time SW brought me out of my dark ages, and hence I never got any; the last ones available were going away just as I was beginning to buy other LEGO sets than just Star Wars. I so often wish I could have come out of my dark ages at least just a year or two earlier, so I'd not only have gotten more Star Wars sets but also a number of others from around the late '90s / early '00s, and have a few more LEGO themes represented in my collection by at least one or two sets.

Getting back to the question, I actually sort of conceptualized PM as being a continuation of RR (are the narratives different enough to preclude this?), and the major differences appear to me to be PM has a greater focus on the conflict with the Rock Monsters (RR has some conflict against the larger monster as well, it seems, but it's not as central to that iteration of the idea), and of course the different color scheme. On this I'm torn - the RR color scheme seems more naturally suited to the theme, but I love, love, love green, especially a really bright green, so the prevalence of all those lime bricks in PM speaks to me. Part of me also thinks I should vote for PM simply because it's the incarnation to which I do have access, while part of me thinks I should vote for RR for precisely the same reason...
Blondie-Wan

Return to Original Themes