Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2009 Podracer Contest Entries

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: 2009 Podracer Contest Entries

Postby Bored Robot » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:59 pm

The voting format is pretty good. Thanks for the effort you guys put into the contest overall.
j. anthony
Bored Robot

Postby harvey_manbird » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:46 pm

So I just voted and I have to say the system you guys used was great. Very simple and to the point.

I also want to just say thanks for all the work you put into having contests like this. Seems like the forums have been a rough place since April 1st (brilliant joke by the way). I can just imagine the stress you guys have been under with the backlash from the April Fool's joke and the countless pod entries/disqualification issues that these past few days have been daunting for you MODs but I just want to say that I (and I'm sure many others) really appreciate what you guys do.

Thanks again FBTB founders and Mods and I hope you guys keep it up.
DECK OFFICER: Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you reach the first marker.
HAN: Then I'll see you in hell!
harvey_manbird

Postby LL918 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Solo wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen: welcome to the elimination round in the first annual Bothan Eve Classic.

I just noticed this first sentence in the announcements for the first round of races. Does it indeed mean that the race will be an ongoing event? Or is it just another cruel FBTB hoax to confuse the gullible?

I'm still trying to decide who to vote for. Race 4 is particularly hard - lots of great designs in that group to choose from.
LL918

Postby Solo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:51 pm

This was just the qualifying round, and your time to vote is up! The entries for the race are selected and I'm getting the new poll ready.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby pur3 0wn1ng9 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks for giving the disqualified pods a second chance and all the hard work that went into this contest.

I just have 1 more question.

No offence to the builder but how did this http://www.flickr.com/photos/34984591@N03/3367511496/ beat my pod? I mean... really?
pur3 0wn1ng9

Postby Rook » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:31 am

Looks great just wish you'd guys would leave the polls open for more then 24hrs. Some of us actually leave our basements on the weekends. :lol:
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Joedward » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 am

You know, I think they were. But do you really think your 15 votes would have made a huge difference on who the finalists are?
And the pool you were put in, you were up against some very heavy competition.

Also, that dig about the basement is both wrong, for just about every member here (except you apparently), and a bit uncalled for I suppose.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby onions » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 am

easy ed, just a little self-deprecating humor on his part.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 am

If you leave your basement when you know the voting is going to begin, you're not a dedicated enough member to really have a say in it anyways. :p
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Turkguy19 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am

I have you know, I was dedicated enough to keep my pool open ALL day, and refresh it every few minutes ;)
Turkguy19

Postby Linkavitch » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:18 pm

pur3 0wn1ng9 wrote:Thanks for giving the disqualified pods a second chance and all the hard work that went into this contest.

I just have 1 more question.

No offence to the builder but how did this http://www.flickr.com/photos/34984591@N03/3367511496/ beat my pod? I mean... really?

I agree. (please do not take this to be offensive, anyone, as it was not meant to be as such.) The pod in question was said by the builder to have been built a few years ago, if I remember correctly, and while that's not technically a reason for it not to be good, people do tend to do better under pressure, IMExperience. It beat mine, too, which I'm not terribly happy about, since mine had a flamethrower. But ah, well, it's all fun and games until someone assassinates someone else, right? ;)
Why on earth was the Empire able to build a moon-sized battle station capable of destroying an entire planet when, at the same time, they're most common data storage unit was still a tape!?
Linkavitch

Postby Rook » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am

Joedward wrote:You know, I think they were. But do you really think your 15 votes would have made a huge difference on who the finalists are?
And the pool you were put in, you were up against some very heavy competition.

Also, that dig about the basement is both wrong, for just about every member here (except you apparently), and a bit uncalled for I suppose.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one that missed the narrow window for voting. ;) For example EB is having a contest currently and their polls are open for over a week. I didn't think I would win but that doesn't mean I didn't want to have a bit more time to have a say. I'm surprised you have an issue with me asking for the next time FBTB hosts a contest to have the polls open for 48hrs per phase/level. It seems like a simple request. You may have also noticed there's about 1000 members and only 250ish voted that round. This round we're alrady about 600 votes (see my point). That's 25% in 24 hrs, not bad. However, we may have actually had 30-60% in 48 hrs. Just an observation. As far as the "dig". Yes it's a joke/humor/a funny/a haha, that's what the laugh smilie was all about. Get over it! If you found it offensive it's probably because it hit too close to home. Also I do build in my basement and spend a LOT of time there during the cold months, but we had our first warm weekend this spring here in great white north and I was out enjoying it. ;)
Rook

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:04 am

Notes: not every registered member is active, and not even every active member votes in the polls. 80% to 90% of the votes happen in the first day or two that the polls go up anyways, so I figured why not just streamline things and make it interesting for a change.

And come on, would you really be so lame as to vote for yourself anyways? :p
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Joedward » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 pm

Well, Turk did, and Juns, and Matt, and ....Oh I see your point.

;)
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

Joedward

Postby Rook » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 am

Actually I would have voted #5. The Thunder Cats idea was unique, well executed, and was a “realistic” pod.

Oddly enough though I think my original request/suggestion of having the polls open longer was well received by the staff since it seems they're all staying open longer now. :roll: Besides Joe why did you care if I asked for the pulls to open longer, did you enter anything?
Last edited by Rook on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rook

Postby bigospedros » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:13 am

anyone seen that little violin that got so much use with the Power Miners complaints ? ;)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 am

Rook wrote:Besides Ed why did you care if I asked for the pulls to open longer, did you enter anything?

You've been around long enough, you should know that :roll:
Sadly I did not enter, I was DQ'd before I could even start building a pod. I do have an engine done now, but I don't think I can enter it now :|
Gonna fine tune it and work on it, knowing my track record with contests, it'll be done in a month or two.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

Joedward

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 am

What makes you think we hasn't planned on dragging out the polls already Rook?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Rook » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:23 am

@ Ed: What?! How did you get DQ'd?
Rook

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:57 am

He posted random chitchat in the entry thread after several warnings were posted not to.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds