Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars license expiring in 2011?!?!?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars license expiring in 2011?!?!?

Postby infallible » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 pm

The Force is dead; long live the rock monsters!
infallible

Postby Teekay » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:41 pm

I think SW will be renewed. And anyway, we've still got a little more time left, anyways. And all you "Oh, but CW sucks" people, just you wait till August, just you wait... Then you say, "But, Teekay, why should we wait?" and then I say: "Endor Bunker, Tauntaun, Ackbar. Need I say more?" Does anyone remember, we were all so excited for the Tauntaun and the Ackbar and the Endor bunker. What happened to all that excitement FBTB? What happened?

20 bucks it gets renewed.

Oh, and infallible, the Force will never die! Never! Not so long as I am here!

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby txtxtx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:50 pm

infallible wrote:The Force is dead; long live the rock monsters!

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Force will live on in the spirit of the good old days, when people lined up for blocks around the theatre, waiting for the next installment in the series.

I agree that the new Clone Wars sets were(insert expletive here), but............

HEY!!!!!!!! LETS MAKE A FBTB SISTER SITE, FOR STAR WARS!!!!!!!

Then all the SW junkies(like me) could be able to stop whining, and be able to get on with their SW centered lives!! It could be something like............ The Brick Force Within Us(TBFWU).

I dunno..... you come up with somthing.....That's my repetitive limit for today..........
Anakin: "All right, but you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."
Obi-Wan: "Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
txtxtx

Postby txtxtx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Teekay wrote:I think SW will be renewed. And anyway, we've still got a little more time left, anyways. And all you "Oh, but CW sucks" people, just you wait till August, just you wait... Then you say, "But, Teekay, why should we wait?" and then I say: "Endor Bunker, Tauntaun, Ackbar. Need I say more?" Does anyone remember, we were all so excited for the Tauntaun and the Ackbar and the Endor bunker. What happened to all that excitement FBTB? What happened?

20 bucks it gets renewed.

~Sam (Teekay)

The Endor Bunker, Tuantaun, and Ackbar are all ORIGINAL TRILOGY things. THEY ARE AWESOME! But Clone Wars SUCK.
Anakin: "All right, but you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."
Obi-Wan: "Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
txtxtx

Postby Flynn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:10 pm

txtxtx wrote:HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one, not one of you! ;)
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby legobatmanbatmobile » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:26 am

I like power miners and star wars, but i still think that star wars is way better than power miners. Besides, i thought the main purpose of lego is to build things with, but the power miners sets are all so small that they only take about 10 minutes to build, but most of the star wars sets actually take a quite a bit of time to build.
legobatmanbatmobile

Postby Joedward » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 am

That's because they've had a 10 year run. If you went back to when SWL had been out for the same amount of time that PM has, you wouldn't be saying the same thing.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Blondie-Wan » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:40 am

Getting back to the license subject (and then veering away from Star Wars, but just a tad), does anyone know when the Indy license is currently set to expire?
Blondie-Wan

Postby Duckman » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:56 am

I'm pretty sure the SW lego license has been renewed quite a few times in fact... might be wrong, but I was sure it has been renewed more than once before, and no doubt, provided the SW theme is profitable for TLC, they will continue with it.
Duckman

Postby bouba » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:37 am

hi i'm new
I think it would be stupid to end up this license it's the more profitable.
at least they won't make other spongebob lego ^^
bouba

Postby Draykov » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Duckman wrote:I'm pretty sure the SW lego license has been renewed quite a few times in fact... might be wrong, but I was sure it has been renewed more than once before, and no doubt, provided the SW theme is profitable for TLC, they will continue with it.

Where are you pulling this information? The original license was from 1999-2008. The revised/renewed license expires in 2011. Whether they renew it or not then is anybody's guess. I thought this thread was starting to sound familiar.
Last edited by Draykov on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Duckman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:03 am

From following the Lego Star Wars line ever since its release back in '99, I was fairly certain it was originally set to expire in '05 or something, but I could be wrong, I was going by what the members knew at the time, and that was back in 2000/01.
Duckman

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 am

The bottom line is, beyond what's announced in the press, we don't know much. The LEGO Group probably isn't overly anxious to publicize the details of its legal dealings with Lucasfilm. The less their competitors know, the better.

The original license, was announced in the public as a "multi-year" deal. I'm not sure if 2008 has been documented publicly as the cut-off of the original license, but that's generally accepted...I vaguely remember some reliable and official source revealing that info at some point, but I can't find anything definitive on the Internet. It was announced in 2006 that the license had been extended until 2011.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Blondie-Wan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Draykov wrote:The bottom line is, beyond what's announced in the press, we don't know much. The LEGO Group probably isn't overly anxious to publicize the details of its legal dealings with Lucasfilm. The less their competitors know, the better.

The original license, was announced in the public as a "multi-year" deal. I'm not sure if 2008 has been documented publicly as the cut-off of the original license, but that's generally accepted...I vaguely remember some reliable and official source revealing that info at some point, but I can't find anything definitive on the Internet. It was announced in 2006 that the license had been extended until 2011.

Thanks for that. May I assume the answer to my side question (re: expiration of the Indy license) isn't publicly known?
Blondie-Wan

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm

I got nothin' on Indy. No idea. I would guess that given the mutually beneficial relationship with Lucasfilm, LEGO would want to continue that partnership as long as it remains that way. Indy doesn't quite reap the harvest that Star Wars does though...not in terms of subjects suitable for marketable LEGO sets. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Indy will run alongside SW until 2011 and will probably go away after that...but that's pure speculation on my part.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby CoR3Bu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Let us Bothans hope that Star Wars will never end and the force
will continue to live on. If it doesn't however, we will become
Bothan spies, go invisible, and steal the contract! :D Then we'll
forge George's signature for 1,000,000,000 years! >:)

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, to attention men! >:(

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Seeing as it says in the first edition of The Brick that Lego SW accounts for 1/3 of TLG's revenues in the US alone, I doubt they'll give up the license too easily.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Blondie-Wan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm

Draykov wrote:I got nothin' on Indy. No idea. I would guess that given the mutually beneficial relationship with Lucasfilm, LEGO would want to continue that partnership as long as it remains that way. Indy doesn't quite reap the harvest that Star Wars does though...not in terms of subjects suitable for marketable LEGO sets. If I were a betting man, I'd say that Indy will run alongside SW until 2011 and will probably go away after that...but that's pure speculation on my part.

That sounds entirely plausible (not that I'd like to rely upon pure speculation in the absence of any indication of any given date's likelihood, of course).

I don't think any other license reaps the harvest Star Wars does, but Indy certainly appears to be as strong as any other non-SW contender (and it does have a sort of familial relationship to SW, after all). I think with Indiana Jones, the line naturally skews more towards locales as opposed to vehicles, which may perhaps draw some people in that Star Wars may not attract as strongly by itself - I'm thinking of people who aren't so much fans of any particular series / franchise but just like nifty sets, and who are more interested in locations than vehicles, the way some other folks are more interested in vehicles than locations. I don't know if it's so much a matter of there being fewer suitable subjects as it is of simply having lower expectations for retail performance (with the thought a given level of sales performance that comes below the Star Wars average can still be pretty good, if the Star Wars average is as high as we might reasonably guess it is). But true, they may well have no intention of carrying it beyond a point - have they ever renewed any license other than Star Wars (have all the Harry Potter sets they've ever done fallen under a single, never-renewed license)?
Blondie-Wan

Postby Blondie-Wan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Jabba the Taff wrote:Seeing as it says in the first edition of The Brick that Lego SW accounts for 1/3 of TLG's revenues in the US alone, I doubt they'll give up the license too easily.

Hey, thanks for the link!
:D :check: :star:
Blondie-Wan

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars