Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Snyder Reveals The Batmobile & Batsuit From Man Of Steel Sequel

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Snyder Reveals The Batmobile & Batsuit From Man Of Steel Sequel

Postby Staff » Tue May 13, 2014 12:31 pm

batmobile-batmansuperman-970x545

Behold the latest Bat-vehicle destined to be immortalized in LEGO form. Zach Snyder teased the unveiling yesterday with the pic above and went all out with a first view of the jacked up Batfleck in the obviously The Dark Knight Returns inspired suit.

Personally, this the best thing I've seen or heard regarding the upcoming sequel, due in May of 2016. What do you think?

new-batmobile-for-batman-vs-superman-movie-image-via-zacksnyder_100466794_l

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/13/snyder-reveals-the-batmobile-batsuit-from-man-of-steel-sequel/
Staff

Re: Snyder Reveals The Batmobile & Batsuit From Man Of Steel

Postby etcknight » Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm still withholding judgement. I'm not sold on Affleck as Batman. That suit also looks a little whimpy IMO. Too many defined "fake" muscles, not enough true menace. Don't think I've ever seen someone so chubby with a six-pack before - looks weird.
etcknight

Postby Solo » Tue May 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Batmobile looks promising. Back end looks like a drag racer, windscreen looks like they tried to cross the Keaton Batmobile with the Tumblr and it didn't work out so well. The suit just looks like a rubber suit and the ears on the cowl look strange. Like they're undersized maybe. It reminds me of his Daredevil mask and I don't remember that turning out so well.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby tekkamanraiden » Tue May 13, 2014 6:56 pm

The cowl is looks very close to the one in the dark knight returns comic/graphic novel. I'm liking the design of the batmobile so far.
tekkamanraiden

Postby sparkart » Tue May 13, 2014 11:29 pm

First impression of the new Batmobile...too fantastical. Yeah, I know comic-books are surreal and fantasy, but after Nolan's Dark Knight, I want more realistic depictions of superheroes. I think. I remember really hating the Tumbler when I first saw leaked pics of it. Now...it's my favorite.

This Batmobile looks too big to me, too impractical to be realistic. When you see the Tumbler in real-life, it's actually pretty small - for a tank. The Tumbler's got a denseness that worked, had to work, for practical effects shots. I'm a bit worried this Batmobile is going to perform most of its stunts on a computer monitor as a CG construct.

No one asked me, but I'm going to state anyway that I think the Bat-pod was a great direction to take with the vehicles, and carrying that forward could've been something stripped down, like an Ariel Atom, covered in Kevlar fabric, that would shred and flutter at speed and look like something from a Giger (RIP) nightmare.

After seeing so many incarnations of Batman, I think I'll find something to like about the new one. But right now, this Batmobile is more on the do-not-want side, and the costume I'm indifferent about it.
sparkart

Postby Blue Squadron » Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 am

I'm inclined to agree with Don -- it looks very much like they've tried to cross the original Burton Batmobile with the Nolan Tumbler. In theory, it could be great but I'm not yet 100% convinced.
Blue Squadron

Postby sparkart » Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 am

I think this thing is beautiful, but I still don't like that it's the new movie Batmobile. Maybe when I see it in action, I'll change my mind about it.
sparkart

Postby Brainslugged » Thu May 15, 2014 9:31 am

I think his suit needs bat nipples.
Brainslugged

Postby Andi » Thu May 15, 2014 10:34 am

Is Batman naked below his suit? These defined muscles and veins look weird.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Blake711 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Oh man this is making me sick to my stomach. I am no fan of batfleck but was trying to be open minded. This suit looks week to me. I am fine with it having a texture but not fake muscles and veins if that is what it is. The batmobile I will live with regardless.

On a side note does it look like a scarecrow with a cross of joker in the fog behind batman on what I guess is a rear right fender? It looks to me like a face.
Blake711

Postby Solo » Thu May 15, 2014 2:29 pm

This new (SDCC exclusive) Batmobile looks like it might have been based on the same concept, but the proportions and details are way off so who knows. Canopy is similar, but narrower. The movie version above looks better, even from just the partial images above:
Spoiler: show
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby yauchunh » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

forget abt this. I am more excited about the new flash tv series! even has tie in with green arrow!
yauchunh

Postby Blake711 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:01 am

yauchunh wrote:forget abt this. I am more excited about the new flash tv series! even has tie in with green arrow!

you got that right. the new extended trailer yesterday was amazing. I can't wait. Arrow is the best show on TV right now imo and Flash looks like it should be great also.
Blake711

Postby CaptainFordo » Fri May 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Solo wrote:This new (SDCC exclusive) Batmobile looks like it might have been based on the same concept, but the proportions and details are way off so who knows. Canopy is similar, but narrower. The movie version above looks better, even from just the partial images above:
Spoiler: show

That's the Arkham Knight Batmobile for the upcoming game.

But yes, the aesthetic is very similar, it's the first think I thought of when I saw the canopy.
CaptainFordo

Postby Flynn » Fri May 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Not sold on the suit. There's a marked simplicity about it I like, but the connections to the Dark Knight Returns suit make me wary, as any connection to that comic would make me.

sparkart wrote:I want more realistic depictions of superheroes.

Why, though?

Like, I'm legitimately asking here because, I mean, I liked the Nolan films, but the whole trend for realistic superheroes lately is one I just plain don't understand. What is the advantage of taking something as fantastical and stylistic as superheroes and trying to apply an aesthetic of realism to it (which is all the Nolan films were- an aesthetic of realism, as most of the concepts were as comicbooky as they come)?

Because the way I see it, realism only limits the kinds of stories you can tell with superheroes. To use Batman as an example, certain villains are rendered impossible with a realistic aesthetic, or at the very least pared down extensively, and that limits the amount of stories you can do. And I'm struggling to find what new stories realism allows for that you couldn't already do in a more fantastical setting.

Again, I liked the Nolan films well enough, but they worked because they were a one-off sort of experiment- "here's what Batman would look like in the real world (ish)". I don't think it's a sustainable concept outside of that, at least not without dramatically changing the genre as we know it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby that guy » Sat May 17, 2014 10:13 am

I was totally on the side of "we need more realism" because I can't watch the Nolan films enough. But Flynn has a point above about the challenge of what "can be" in that world. Just by virtue of Superman and Wonder Woman being in the movie I think we have to assume that realism is now mostly out the door, right?? So yes it's a little realistic but possibly a sublime amount of improbability so that we as Nolan-ites can appreciate it and yet start turning the corner into fantasy again with this franchise?? Just my thoughts.
that guy

Postby sparkart » Sat May 17, 2014 9:07 pm

I want realism because I think smarter stories, better characters, and more interesting ideas come out of it more often than not. With more fantasy, IMHO, creators get lazy with details (like making cars that can't turn on the street), or feed into their crazy dreams to see crazy things which, even me, as a life-long geek, makes my eyes roll. Ever heard Kevin Smith's bit about Jon Peters and his desire to see a giant spider in a movie? Look at all the fan films that faithfully recreate things like Thundercats. Something beautiful in animation, doesn't always look as cool in real-life, or reel-life.

If you go too far into fantasy, things don't have to make sense, because, it's all make-believe, anyway. Something grounded in realism is easier for me "to get", especially now that I'm older, grumpier, and less willing to accept juvenile fantasy. It's a preference.

I grew up reading comic books, and only started tapering off my reading of them in college, so my impressionable mind was thoroughly and happily polluted with sci-fi and comic-book fantasy. But today, I usually have a hard time reading comic books - they're so goofy. I still love goofy, but maybe I've grown up a bit, and want more; It's nice to see these subjects taken more seriously, now that I'm older, and want to see something more mature. I mean, as mature as a guy in a cape can be.
sparkart

Postby Flynn » Sun May 18, 2014 2:58 am

Well, okay, but just because fantasy stories may encourage people to stray from serious or less goofy stories doesn't mean you just can't do them. "Smarter stories, better characters, and more interesting ideas" are possible no matter what the aesthetic, and equating more fantastical stories with goofiness and immaturity seems to not really look at what they're really capable of (I mean, just look at Star Wars- for all the incredible and unrealistic boatloads of stuff in the series it's still able to pull off a film with the emotional heft and complexity of Empire. "I am your father" would have the same impact there as it would in an more realistic setting).

I mean, I approach this somewhat from a creator perspective- I took an editing class this last semester where we discussed some of the art of editing and the issue of 'realism' was brought up- how much should we be focused on a scene for its realism to life? And professor went on to discuss how the very nature of cinematic affectation means a constant lie to the audience- editing hides continuity errors and gaps in time, scripts often skiff over plot holes in order to make more effective dramatic beats, the very way films are shot and composed creates an inherent unreality that exists in the very fiber of what cinema is. The best filmmakers constantly lie to the audience. And to me a film that's aware of its own lie and able to play around and garner new and unreal concepts out of it is far more mature than a film that thinks it's doing serious stuff because it ostensibly looks a bit more realistic.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

It's okay to lie, just be kind with your lies

Postby sparkart » Sun May 18, 2014 11:55 am

Let's get this back on topic a little - when a film lies to an audience, I think it's more effective that the lie is easy to take, at first, then the bigger lies come easier. A great example of this is Blade. When it opens, it starts out a little on the wild side, but still believable, random guy gets taken to a party...from there, it starts to get a little strange, then crazy, then totally insane at the end, but the audience is buying it all, because they were gently accelerated to full speed Snipes.

An example of a more jerky ride is Odd Thomas. When I watched this movie, I kept thinking I had missed out on some introductory material, or should've read the book as a primer first, because it just takes for granted you already know and accept the world of Odd.

Back on topic, this Batmobile. I love the design, but I'm curious and pessimistic (unfairly, yup) how it'll be sprung on the audience. I'll never forget when when Furst's Batmobile is introduced in 1989's Batman, Batman tells Vicki, to "Get in the car." and she asks, "Which one?" When the audience and Vicki see it, it's an impactful reveal. Burton builds up to it, showing the mysterious Batman in action without it, first, and making you think, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" and what else might he have?

Maybe the movie public is ready for a crazy, over-the-top vehicle like this Batmobile, now. While my first preference is not in this direction, it could be cool. Heck, when I read about what Nolan and Co. were doing with first doing with Batman, I rolled my eyes, but in the end, was totally won over by it.
sparkart

Return to Licensed Themes