Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 30300 The Batman Tumbler

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 30300 The Batman Tumbler

Postby Staff » Fri May 09, 2014 9:26 pm

30300 Batman Tumbler-4

I'm sure you've seen the glowing reviews elsewhere but let me set you straight: this thing is a piece of crap.

Let's take a look at the real deal:

So awesome...

Now, let's take a look at what LEGO decided to give us in mini form:

30300 Batman Tumbler-1

Not so awesome...

First of all, do the designers not realize that Batman only works "in black... and sometimes very very dark gray?" He said so himself. All kidding aside, the unfortunate thing is that both dark and light gray elements detract from what could have been a cool all-black build. "Cool" being a relative term because even at all black it is still ugly. Plus that pearl gold grille tile has absolutely no place on this model.

30300 Batman Tumbler-3

Secondly, it barely looks like the source material. The front wheels are all wrong since the axles are attached on the wrong side of the wheel. The rear set of wheels only has one pair and not two. Even if I were to turn a blind eye to the wheel situation, which I easily could for build stability, element restrictions, or whatever reason, there is no excuse for what I can only assume is the windshield and cabin. The model uses a few offset studs in order to get 1x3 slope front and center. And because of the way it was incorporated, it dictates how the surrounding cheese pieces are laid out to get that sloping effect on the front of the vehicle. The result is just a strange array of slope elements that accomplish nothing to look like the Tumbler.

30300 Batman Tumbler-2

The one positive I can mention about this build is that the model has a rear exhaust port for the jet engine. The rear as a whole looks kinda okay if you squint your eyes and look at it in a dark room but too bad it's in light gray and is missing a pair of wheels. It kind of looks okay from the side view, but we're just really scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

I can't remember how much I paid for it. I found it at Target at the check out lanes. Some say it was $3.99, others $4.99. Whatever the set cost, though, was way too much. You're better off poking around flickr for other mini and micro build Tumbler MOCs and making one yourself than buying this steaming pile.

0 out of 5 stars.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/09/review-30300-the-batman-tumbler/
Staff

Re: Review: 30300 The Batman Tumbler

Postby mattlee1965 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 am

I don't know if you are having a bad day or something, but the set isn't all that bad. It is a nice little build for $4 and is actually fairly close to the batmobile. The set portrays the dimensions and sloping of the batmobile quite well and the wheel sizing is fairly nice as well. Also if it were all black, I think it wouldn't really be a lego set. Lego sets need to have at least 3 different colors in them. Finally you get a good amount of pieces (57) for $4. My only real complaint is that the axle on the front has studs exposed and should have had a 1 x 2 tile on it.

I think at the worst its a 3 out of 5.
mattlee1965

Postby onions » Sat May 10, 2014 8:18 am

No, not having a bad day. The front end of the set is just that bad.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby plebeianprint » Sat May 10, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for the laugh. Your intro had me cackling, and I needed that.

I haven't built the set, but (outside of your first photo) it doesn't look that terrible. I also agree with mattlee's post that Lego sets need to have multiple colors, lest they lose their purpose as a building set. But admittedly I'm not the most talented builder, so I default to the experience of those better than I.
plebeianprint

Postby Brakster » Sat May 10, 2014 9:49 am

I would have to agree with mattlee as well that this really isn't that bad of a set. I'll agree with you about the gold piece being odd, but even looking at the picture you posted of the actual Tumbler, for a mini build like this, I think they did a pretty good job. As my son plays with this quite a bit, my main complaint would be that the back tail pieces that the gold grill piece is on fall off way too easily as well as the side fins.
Brakster

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 pm

For me the main problem is the windows. I think if you just swapped them with the black slopes in front then it would look much better. or just remove them and have the gaps between the centre slope and two cheese slopes be stand-in windows.

I also find it curious how often the axle is a source of complain on just about any Tumbler model. Sure, it's not accurate to make them that way, but it just doesn't make sense from a construction point of view, when the overall visual effect is essentially not much different provided the outer coverings are still there to maintain the illusion.
CaptainFordo

Postby psycho013 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Yeah, I like this set, too. It's a fun little build that is fun to race across the table at dinner time when I'm supposed to be quietly and respectfully consuming nature's bounty, or whatever they serve at Denny's. I get that it's a more interesting read to be all snarky and sarcastic with the set reviews (and every other post) here, but there's a part of me that worries that the FBTB staff isn't having enough fun with their Lego. Don't worry, it's a very small part, as mostly I don't care.
psycho013

Postby sterow » Sun May 11, 2014 3:07 am

Wow, this seems really uncharitable. It's a nice little set that captures the essence of the Tumbler well. It's exactly the kind of small cheap fun set that makes for a great impromptu gift for a kid.
sterow

Postby LegoLawyer » Sun May 11, 2014 8:27 am

I thought this set wasn't bad. I'd give it a zero if it was $10. But at 4 or 5 bucks, it's a decent tumbler. I recognized what it was from the baggie. Can't be that bad of a likeness if we all know what it is.

I've seen other vehicles reviewed here that aren't exact that get more stars...but it's not my site, and I appreciate the regular reviews and pics featured here.
LegoLawyer

Postby Brainslugged » Sun May 11, 2014 9:02 am

I think it's a great little set for the price/pieces. In fact, the review has just made me go and retrieve my tiny tumbler for a quick Sunday morning vroom round the bed. I'm just worried that if all Lego sets are going to be judged so harshly from now on (despite considering that they, you know, have to be constructed with small plastic bricks and, not fall apart too easily, be simple enough for a small child to build and fit into other company-mandated design/part/price/color constraints) that we'll never see another set score greater than a zero on FBTB. Alternatively, you could always submit to Lego Ideas a range of "Creator Expert" 16+ Polybags. :S

Looking at it now, I guess the cheese slopes could be swapped as someone above suggested - although I feel mean picking on such a small set - and so should FBTB. You deserve to have a Sea Cow come along to kick sand in YOUR face to see how YOU like it. :)
Brainslugged

Postby hobbie » Sun May 11, 2014 11:01 am

I can see where the reviewer is coming from. I've seen far better MOCs of the Tumbler that would have looked better than this model. But can LEGO just take those designs when they haven't been submitted via CUUSOO/Ideas?

While this isn't the best set, I wouldn't say it's an 0/5. Sure it has the flaws listed, but it captures the essence of the vehicle and the back of the set is spot on. Maybe 3/5.
hobbie

Postby onions » Sun May 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I don't know what you guys see in this set. That front end is terrible. if someone were to show me this model and ask me what i thought it was, tumbler is the last thing i would have guessed.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Trooper10 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:22 pm

The next competition should be "Build a better mini Tumbler with 57 pieces or less". First prize: a mini Tumbler, Second prize: two mini Tumblers, Third prize, well you get it....
Trooper10

Postby Ultron32 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:43 pm

I have to agree with most of the people here. I'd give it a 2 stars probably at least.

Trooper10 wrote:The next competition should be "Build a better mini Tumbler with 57 pieces or less". First prize: a mini Tumbler, Second prize: two mini Tumblers, Third prize, well you get it....

What I find funny is that, while I can't imagine this was intentional, you're giving more of the polybag for the lower prize places as if you would not want them, ha ha. Just nitpicking something funny, don't mind me.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby dWhisper » Sun May 11, 2014 6:07 pm

I'm quite certain that it was totally intentional, and thus the joke... you'd be punishing people with more of such a terribad set.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 pm

dWhisper wrote:I'm quite certain that it was totally intentional, and thus the joke...

Yup (I thought it was an old joke)
Trooper10

Postby ninnymuggins » Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am

out of all the recent poly bag's i've built, the robin cycle being my favorite so far, this one really doesn't bode well. it is good parts pack, but it did do the tumbler a dis-service. made me appreciate the chibi version released this year. i'm almost tempted to redo it a la micro fighters to redeem some value out of it.
ninnymuggins

failblog.cheezburger.com

Postby sparkart » Tue May 13, 2014 5:55 pm

sparkart

Postby Ultron32 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 am

Yesterday I spent a while collecting all of the pieces (that I own) in black. I know have two of the model (although the original is currently missing three pieces), one of which is all black except for 5 pieces that I don't have in black. I can say it does look better this way, but it is still a good enough design.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Next

Return to Reviews