Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Darth Revan Minifigure Revealed

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Postby Joedward » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:22 pm

~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Re: Darth Revan Minifigure Revealed

Postby hatcher » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:46 pm

That's awesome! I need to go play KOTOR again now.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby Staff » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Darth Revan

I kinda hesitated posting this only cause this had supposedly come from a source located in the Czech Republic, but earlier this morning Brickset revealed an upcoming promotional minifigure Darth Revan. He's a strange choice for a minifig since Darth Revan hails from the game Knights of the Old Republic and doesn't really fit into nearly defunct The Old Republic sub-theme that some of the sets draw from. But kids like "Darth" characters so there's that.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if it was a legitimate figure. LEGO doesn't really have clean packaging images of polybag sets in their library, and this particular image seemed a little too clean. The horizontal lines are a little too straight. Plus, there's a hard edge to the bottom of the hood that looks like a bad crop or the background was pasted in sloppily. Not to mention the weird pattern on the top of the hood. Still, if it's a fake, it's a pretty gorram good fake. No word yet on (the legitimacy or) availability, but we'll keep you informed as soon as we do know.

Thanks to everyone who wrote it in.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/26/darth-revan-minifigure-revealed/
Staff

Postby Joedward » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:56 pm

I played both at the beginning of the year. Even went as far as installing the Restored Content Mod for The Sith Lords and playing through most of the lost content I hadn't had a chance to before.

They are still exceptional games and I can't wait to get this figure.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby dWhisper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm

They are exceptional games, but still very much niche titles (and if you haven't played through them, you have no idea who Revan is... despite how crucial). The issue I took with the figure (and thus my comments to onions that made it into the post above) is that Revan is just a lore item in TOR, and not part of the game. All of the sets are based on TOR specifically, so he's an odd pick there (instead of, say, a Bounty Hunter or the like).
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby mattlee1965 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I am promoting this to my new favorite polybag ever. My only problem is that it isn't Darth Nihilus. Oh well maybe next time.

IS this the May the 4th Figure or is it TC-4?
mattlee1965

Postby chase54 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm

"nearly defunct The Old Republic sub-theme"

??? It's nearly defunct?
Producer at Genesis Motion Picture Productions
All-around decent guy
Star Wars Lego addict
Old western movie obsessor
chase54

Postby rushiosan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 pm

That's not big news. We got Rogue Shadow from The Force Unleashed and that was a small part of EU videogames, and then Old Republic subtheme. I don't see a reason to call this a fake (not judging the picture - it's really suspicious!) just for the character itself... licensed toys from SW videogames aren't a weird subject for LEGO anymore.

It's a shame that both KOTOR games are so unpopular (and retired) nowadays, that kills the potential of another EU subtheme. I'd love to see some ships and figures from that game.

BTW, a double-sided face would be awesome for Revan. That's one of biggest spoilers/plot twists of all time!
rushiosan

Postby mattlee1965 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 pm

rushiosan wrote:That's not big news. We got Rogue Shadow from The Force Unleashed and that was a small part of EU videogames, and then Old Republic subtheme. I don't see a reason to call this a fake (not judging the picture - it's really suspicious!) just for the character itself... licensed toys from SW videogames aren't a weird subject for LEGO anymore.

It's a shame that both KOTOR games are so unpopular (and retired) nowadays, that kills the potential of another EU subtheme. I'd love to see some ships and figures from that game.

BTW, a double-sided face would be awesome for Revan. That's one of biggest spoilers/plot twists of all time!

I think this is real. We are only 4 days away from the new lego calendar and this could be the May the 4th promo figure. I wish it would have been a Darth Nihilus though.

I wish they would make another KOTOR game a sequel to the other 2. Not the weird online gameplay but something with a real story. But maybe they will, there are several new games coming out in the futures that are being revisited for xbox such as battlefront and kingdom hearts. Maybe a new KOTOR game would be coming soon? (I won't hold my breath)
mattlee1965

Postby dWhisper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm

chase54 wrote:"nearly defunct The Old Republic sub-theme"

??? It's nearly defunct?

Nothing on the horizon for it at any point this year, and the game could be judged a failure by most criteria.

rushiosan, the counter to that is that The Force Unleashed was current when that (absolutely terrible) set was made. KoToR games aren't unpopular, per se, and has seen a sort-of resurgance with the iPad. While popular, it was still a relatively small game in the grand scheme, and the games, while "popular" are still far smaller in their reach than cartoons or the movies (obviously on that one). I think it's an odd choice for a figure because Revan isn't involved in something currently out there, and that's what Lego (and Disney/LucasFilms) has typically focused on. The current property is The Old Republic, which has pretty much bombed as a game. Given what I've seen of the sets based on it as well, they've also been underperforming.
dWhisper

Postby rushiosan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

dWhisper wrote:rushiosan, the counter to that is that The Force Unleashed was current when that (absolutely terrible) set was made. KoToR games aren't unpopular, per se, and has seen a sort-of resurgance with the iPad. While popular, it was still a relatively small game in the grand scheme, and the games, while "popular" are still far smaller in their reach than cartoons or the movies (obviously on that one). I think it's an odd choice for a figure because Revan isn't involved in something currently out there, and that's what Lego (and Disney/LucasFilms) has typically focused on. The current property is The Old Republic, which has pretty much bombed as a game. Given what I've seen of the sets based on it as well, they've also been underperforming.

I agree with your points, but I see the Revan figure as some kind of tribute to TOR (including KOTOR) universe, since we got a similar sith warrior figure in the recent Jedi Defender-class cruiser. Revan is a badass sith and also a very iconic character from EU. Fans would kill for an official version (he has lots of purist/non-purist MOCs out there). That's why I believe LEGO made a wise choice, even if not related to TOR MMORPG at all...

Bastila Shan (and her yellow lightsaber) would be another must-have in my opinion.
rushiosan

Postby dman7529 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:12 am

While Darth Revan doesn't play a huge part in TOR, Revan does have a role in the game

Spoiler: show
There is the Cult of Revan on Dromund Kaas -- ok not much there really, just a mask

But there are two Flashpoints, Boarding Party (I)/Taral V (R) and Maelstrom Prison (R) /The Foundry (I) that deal heavily with Revan himself as well as the Jedi Outcast from what I remember.
dman7529

Postby madLEGOman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 am

though i'm doubtful, would be pretty cool if this turns out legit. meatbag in a polybag. almost as cool as if they did an hk-47
madLEGOman

Postby Brainslugged » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am

I'm calling fake on this one, but mainly I just hope it's a fake. I'm sure Lego could come up with some other obscure figure that would appeal to a lot more to Star Wars fans. May 4th will be a real anticlimax if this guy's the exclusive figure.
Brainslugged

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:00 am

Very cool. Though I agree it's kinda strange that they're visiting an 11 year old game, regardless of whether or not it kinda/sorta ties into a current one.

It seems Lego has finally realized that - regardless of when it came out (BTTF, Ghostbusters) - we wants what we wants!
Spoiler: show
Shut up and take my money!
emmtwosix

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 am

rushiosan wrote:Revan is a badass sith and also a very iconic character from EU. Fans would kill for an official version (he has lots of purist/non-purist MOCs out there).

He's certainly an interesting character, but I wouldn't say he's a very iconic one in the EU. His actual involvement in the EU is fairly small (KoToR era and a couple of books, and influence or mentions). But that era isn't all that influential in the whole mass that is the EU. Iconic EU characters would be people like Thrawn (about the same number of appearances but far more influence), Kyle Katarn (equally old games and far more EU pull), Corran Horn, the Solo Kids, Mara Jade (won't happen because Lego hates women)... the list goes on for awhile.

If it ends up being legit, I'd argue that it's more likely that they wanted to do an EU figure and the KOTOR setting is far safer in the giant hatchet that is coming to the EU. That setting is going to be left untouched (probably... just my opinion here), since there are active things like TOR, and it's relatively unknown to the vast majority of Star Wars fanbase.
dWhisper

Postby ColdRadio » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 am

The May calendar showed up early at my local LEGO Store, and it is official: this is the May the 4th promotional minifig.
ColdRadio

Postby Faefrost » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm leaning toward real. The fans tend to like new Sith Lord figures. But the numbers of ones that can be effectively or broadly used is somewhat limited. They can't really touch the post RotJ Sith Lords from the books and comics right now. And even if they could the only one in any way interesting is the nearly naked red Twi'leck. of the non movie Sith characters Revan is probably among the best most widely known.
Faefrost

Postby Darth Caedus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 pm

If there are any more EU Sith, I'd actually prefer them to stay in the KOTOR era - all post ROTJ stuff is going to be non canon, soon enough - including Legacy, to my great chagrin, since that series is one of the best things about the entire EU. Alas.
Darth Caedus

Postby Darth Caedus » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Well, crap. He's real. Between the Martian Manhumper promotion and this, my wallet is officially KIA.

But regardless, thank you Lego, for whatever mad, mad logic drove you to make a classic EU character a decade after the fact. Bless you.

Darth Caedus

Next

Return to Star Wars