Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First Doctor Who Project Reaches 10,000 Votes On CUUSOO

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

First Doctor Who Project Reaches 10,000 Votes On CUUSOO

Postby Staff » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:26 am

When CUUSOO made the announcement a couple of weeks ago that they would now be accepting projects themed around Doctor Who, it felt like there was a massive disturbance in the force. As though a million nerds cried out in joy and we'll never here the end of it. I say the first, because the floodgates have opened and there are no less then 30 other projects on CUUSOO at the moment all focusing on one aspect of the Who-niverse or another.

The honour of the first to the finish line goes to Brickset resident and CUUSOO enthusiast, GlenBricker. The real shine on this project is the minifigures, provided by our very own Kaminoan. Voting for which figures will actually appear in the set is STILL open here, if you want to help pick what figures would be in the set. It's not only one of the fastest projects to achieve 10,000 votes (it was started just two weeks ago and was at 9880 votes when I went to bed at 1 last night), but I think it's the first to achieve that launched without having, what I would consider, a fully realized project.

I wish Kam and GlenBricker luck in the next phase of their projects journey. As always, they will certainly need it from this point on. It's in the hands of the CUUSOO gods now.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/13/first-doctor-who-project-reaches-10000-votes-on-cuusoo/
Staff

Re: First Doctor Who Project Reaches 10,000 Votes On CUUSOO

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:01 pm

I think Dr Who is a great possibility for a series (like Minecraft) since it has a huge built-in fanbase and you've got 12 Doctors and 20+ memorable sidekicks and several different interior TARDISs. Surely they MUST start with 5th Doctor (Tom Baker) and Leela.
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Um... Tom Baker is the 4th doctor. Peter Davidson was the 5th. And it seems unlikely that they'd get the go-ahead to start with the classic stuff unless they were going to go really big with the set, which, given what Cuusoo has done with every release, seems unlikely.

Also, nuts on your Leela. If you're going classic doctor, there is only one choice. ONE! Sarah Jane Smith.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby jomandybri » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Awwh yeah! I have been waiting for this for far too long. Really hope it makes it into production (as an entire line, not just one set!) Agreed Re: Tom Baker if they went classic.

dWhisper wrote:Also, nuts on your Leela. If you're going classic doctor, there is only one choice. ONE! Sarah Jane Smith.

I have to agree again, as a classic companion she could have to take the cake for most people. That being said, a lot of the younger/international (correct me if I'm wrong but Who is only making it mainstream in USA in the last few years?) fan base would only recognise Matt Smith and David Tennant. Honestly you'd probably be pushing it to have a lot of the new fans even recognise Eccleston, let alone Tom Baker.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby banthafodder » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm

My dad got me watching this show when I was a teen on PBS. Long before cable. Tom Baker is the only doctor for me. I just realized I'm old and think I need a nap.
banthafodder

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm

dWhisper wrote:Um... Tom Baker is the 4th doctor. Peter Davidson was the 5th. And it seems unlikely that they'd get the go-ahead to start with the classic stuff unless they were going to go really big with the set, which, given what Cuusoo has done with every release, seems unlikely.

Also, nuts on your Leela. If you're going classic doctor, there is only one choice. ONE! Sarah Jane Smith.

Um... Peter Davison is the 5th Doctor. But it is extremely unlikely they would go to the classic era first, when the modern show has most of the appeal to today's fan. I'm guessing the 11th Doctor & Amy (and possibly Rory) would be the initial set, possibly with a Dalek or Weeping Angel thrown in for good measure.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby dWhisper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:23 pm

Curious on quoting me to give the same correction on numbering, but anyway... that was basically my point. They wouldn't start with the Classic unless some strings were pulled, they'd go with the modern series stuff. It also seems rather unlikely they'd go with 11 either, given that he's left the show and we're now on to 12 or 13 or 13 1/2 (depending on how you feel like counting). Even if they did 11, Clara would be more likely as she is still an active companion.
dWhisper

Postby lego the hutt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Just out of curiosity, is this set the same as this? :

lego the hutt

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 pm

dWhisper wrote:Um... Tom Baker is the 4th doctor. Peter Davidson was the 5th. And it seems unlikely that they'd get the go-ahead to start with the classic stuff unless they were going to go really big with the set, which, given what Cuusoo has done with every release, seems unlikely.

Ah yeah my bad on Doctor counting. But I stand by Leela - maybe it's just sentimental but the costume is far more interesting that SJS. Actually sentimentality has nothing to do with it - it's ALL about the costume. They need K-9 as well!!!! Another issue with Sarah Jane is that she was with the 3rd doctor too...dunno what difference that would make tho...

And I gotta disagree on the recent vs classic doctors:
- None of the recent ones are as Sci-Fi Iconic as Tom Baker - noob fans might make noise about these new-fangled doctors but none of them hold a candle to no. 4. His death and regeneration scene is seared into my memory.
- Plus, I think Back to the Future and Ghostbusters (both mid 1980s ie 30 years ago) show that TLG at least know there is currency in cult classics. Hell TLG is making bank on old-school (OT) Star Wars (right? none of us care about that PT/CW/EU stuff ;) ) - but seriously this might seem irrelevant but think about how many USC and larger sets have been OT vs PT (I can only think of the very average USC Jedi Starfighter vs 20+ OT large sets) - I suspect TLG know these big ones appeal to a demographic other than the core kids market. I image (could be totally wrong) that the CUUSOO is probably targeted at a similarly adult or adult-driven market that is more interested in classic iconic stuff than lesser known new stuff.
- Also the recent popularity in the US might not matter as much if the decision is made in Europe.
- And as illogically contradictory evidence to that, the 4th doctor is even considered the 'most recognizable' in the US according to the never-ever-wrong wikipedia.

The defense rests your honor.
Trooper10

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 am

dWhisper wrote:Curious on quoting me to give the same correction on numbering, but anyway...

The correction wasn't for the numbering, it was for the 5th Doctor's actor. You called him Peter Davidson. He's actually Peter Davison.

dWhisper wrote:They wouldn't start with the Classic unless some strings were pulled, they'd go with the modern series stuff. It also seems rather unlikely they'd go with 11 either, given that he's left the show and we're now on to 12 or 13 or 13 1/2 (depending on how you feel like counting). Even if they did 11, Clara would be more likely as she is still an active companion.

There hasn't been a full story yet for the 12th Doctor (Peter Capaldi) so it's not at all certain he'd be the first out of the LEGO gate. My money is still on the 11th Doctor. And while Clara is the "active" companion, Amy Pond is the one most closely associated with 11. If he's the incarnation chosen to launch the Doctor Who line, Amy is the companion most likely to accompany him.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:27 am

Ah, that makes more sense. I was confused for a sec.

The lack of a full story has never hurt them for merchandising before. Doctor Who stuff has always been very weird (you , but Lego isn't past releasing something before a full story or preview is out (happens all the time with other licenses), and while I'd like Amy (but I'll be honest I'd rather have 10 and Rose) and Rory, by the time this makes it out of the cycle and (if it) sits on the shelves, 12 will be out there and 11 gone for a year or more.

And sorry Trooper10, you may like the classic stuff, but this is still Lego. Back to the Future and Ghostbusters had a nostalgia factor to collectors, sure, but they're still movies that a kid can watch and enjoy. Classic Who is firmly in the hands of Classic Who fans alone. The target market for all of Lego wasn't born while the show was in its long hiatus, and they've only known he relaunch. If Doctor Who had never come back, sure, you could do some weird throwback set. But any set now would tie firmly into the relaunched series first, and then do some throwback to the old ones.
dWhisper

Postby Whovian Zorker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:45 am

Mars Needs LEGO wrote:
dWhisper wrote:They wouldn't start with the Classic unless some strings were pulled, they'd go with the modern series stuff. It also seems rather unlikely they'd go with 11 either, given that he's left the show and we're now on to 12 or 13 or 13 1/2 (depending on how you feel like counting). Even if they did 11, Clara would be more likely as she is still an active companion.

There hasn't been a full story yet for the 12th Doctor (Peter Capaldi) so it's not at all certain he'd be the first out of the LEGO gate. My money is still on the 11th Doctor. And while Clara is the "active" companion, Amy Pond is the one most closely associated with 11. If he's the incarnation chosen to launch the Doctor Who line, Amy is the companion most likely to accompany him.

Keep in mind that these won't be released tomorrow. By the time TLG decides that this is viable, and finishes negotiations with the BBC...it could be Twelve and Clara first out of the gate. And since the BBC is apparently changing from a "new era" vs. "classic era" distinction to "current Doctor" vs. "the rest of 'em," they might prefer starting with the upcoming Doctor instead of the one that just said goodbye.

ETA: "Time will tell. It always does."
Whovian Zorker

Postby Ultron32 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Personally I think an ideal lineup would be all four modern Doctors. That way anyone who's watched the more recent stuff only (such as myself and several of my friends) can have every Doctor they know.
Yes it would be nice to have a Doc and companion but I don't feel like they could leave out any of the Doctors. (Well Eccleston could be left out as the least popular and the least recent but I hope not! Don't skip nine ;)
Also, I think companions are a little easier to make puristly as they generally wear fairly casual wear.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Flynn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Ultron32 wrote:Yes it would be nice to have a Doc and companion but I don't feel like they could leave out any of the Doctors. (Well Eccleston could be left out as the least popular and the least recent but I hope not! Don't skip nine ;)

Colin Baker is the least popular, not Eccleston. I'd wager he rates at least above Hartnell and McGann, maybe even Davison- he's firmly one of the middle-tier Doctors just in terms of popularity.

Also, glad something DW made it but I would've liked a more creative project. Good figs and a rather standard TARDIS is acceptable, but something with a bit more oomph would be nice to have to battle against the tough sell I imagine this is gonna be. Of course, Who's really broken outside of the UK in the last couple years, so maybe it'll be easier than I think.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby rodiziorobs » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:44 am

It would be a slap in the face for them to give us Eccleston as the Doctor (since as others have pointed out, there are much better candidates) when they didn't give us Ecceston as Malekith (from Thor: TDW). But I digress...
Regardless of which Doctor they go with (if it passes the review stage, of course), I think I am just about as likely to get it anyway, if I can find space in my budget for it.
rodiziorobs

Postby Ultron32 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:58 am

Flynn wrote:
Ultron32 wrote:Yes it would be nice to have a Doc and companion but I don't feel like they could leave out any of the Doctors. (Well Eccleston could be left out as the least popular and the least recent but I hope not! Don't skip nine ;)

Colin Baker is the least popular, not Eccleston. I'd wager he rates at least above Hartnell and McGann, maybe even Davison- he's firmly one of the middle-tier Doctors just in terms of popularity.

Sorry, I meant out of the modern Doctors.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 am

From a timing standpoint, it's highly probable that Peter Capaldi's first season as the Doctor will air in its entirety before LEGO CUUSOO can produce a single DW set. But the fact is that Matt Smith remains immensely popular;the show exploded in the US while he had the role. Admittedly, David Tennant also has a sizable following (some of whom evidently didn't stick around for Smith, earning them the unfortunate nickname 'Tennant fangirls'), but I'll stand by my statement that the initial set will (probably) consist of Eleven and Amy... and hopefully Rory. :)

Unless it's a multi-Doctor set featuring Nine, Ten, Eleven and Twelve... and hopefully the War Doctor. :)
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby Marty » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:16 pm

First of all, been watching Dr Who for a a long long time, and it's not the first time a thread like this one has shown up, but I'll go along with it.
As for Lego producing these, I would love if Lego would as they would do a much better job of it rather than the current mob which shall remain nameless?
As I understand the license to produce Dr Who currently owned by the BBC and is very particular who it goes too hence why I can see Lego would show interest in this. It is also a very popular show which has been shown in many different countries. It also has a large fan base covering many age groups.
As for where they should start if any sets are to be produced, I would say at the beginning.
Marty

Postby CaptainFordo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm really not sure if they could wrangle this license away from the BBC. The Doctor Who line already has a set of construction toys by Character Building or something (I believe Character Options does the figures and playsets), which I think must be doing ok, because they seem to make a lot of them (and a ton of battle packs for the creatures, not to mention a complete (at the time) 11 Doctors boxset of minifig type figures).
CaptainFordo

Next

Return to Licensed Themes