Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

DK Reveals Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: DK Reveals Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby banthafodder » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm

That is the whole problem with this fig. If you want the original get the original otherwise it just feels like a cheap knock-off. With the cantina coming out they could have released walrus man or snaggle tooth. That would have been awesome.
banthafodder

Postby gomek » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 pm

RfAurora wrote:If removing the hands didn't crack the arms, I would probably get the book, and do a fleshy transplant.

dWhisper wrote:I'd personally rather see the Cloud City Leia get a nice re-release. I never had a chance to get the original, and would love to get an updated version.

It's funny, I was just going to mention the Cloud City Leia is the one yellow figure that I sort of feel compelled to do a 'Fleshy Transplant' on. I was a completist on all the licensed lines since the beginning but now that my licensed collection is 99% fleshy, I've pretty much resolved to selling off all my yellow licensed figures.
gomek

Postby Flynn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:34 pm

I think too many of you are coming from the vantage point of collectors who have been here since 1999, which is manifestly not the audience this book is aimed for. The purpose of the minifigure is to be an artifact from the very first year of the line, and it's difficult to think of a figure that suits that purpose better than Tatooine Luke (offhand, the only other ones that fit the bill are Qui-Gon, Pilot Luke or maybe Darth Maul). From a collecting standpoint, yeah, it's a terrible choice, but this wasn't chosen for a collecting standpoint, it was chosen to be a counterpart to a book aimed for kids.

I think it's debatable how much a kid would be interested in 1999-era Luke, mind you, but then this is exactly the sort of thing I would've loved when I was younger, so there might exist an audience for it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:42 pm

RfAurora wrote:If removing the hands didn't crack the arms, I would probably get the book, and do a fleshy transplant.

That'd only work if you didn't mind having yellow showing at the top of the torso on an otherwise "fleshie" figure.
Mister Ed

Postby Flynn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Also, forgot to mention it in the original post, but:

Sure, it's a new Luke figure with an old head (and the printing is certainly the new styles)...

How so? From the picture it looks to be exactly the same as the original 1999 figure. Any differences in printing would be down to them probably having to recreate the original print, but it doesn't seem like there's anything majorly different here.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Must have been a long time since I looked at that figure. I was thinking that it just had basic colored legs, don't remember the elaborate printing.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby murphquake » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm really thinking the distinction on bricklink will be the ever important "old greys" vs "bluish greys" printing...
murphquake

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 pm

That's flat silver vs... whatever the old one is. I don't feel like digging it out.
dWhisper

Postby Cradok » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:24 am

It's hard to spot differences, until you do a side-by-side.

Every line and detail is different. Still a pretty boring exclusive, but you can't say they didn't make the effort.
Cradok

Postby Flynn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Okay, yeah, there are definitely more differences than I thought, but like I said, that's probably down to them having to recreate the original print since I doubt they still have it lying around for production usage. It's very clearly modeled to be as close as possible to the original print, as opposed to the later figures which are distinctly different.

And again, the purpose of this exclusive is not to be exciting for collectors. We kinda need to stop treating it like it's supposed to be.

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Inzane » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:15 am

The_Chosen_1 wrote:
Inzane wrote:Leia in her ceremonial hair and dress from the end of EpIV would've been the logical choice (to go with the theme already started with medal-Luke and medal-Han).

....that minifigure already exists. It came with the most recent Y-Wing.

OMG, you're right. What's even funnier about that is I own that set too. (Haven't opened and built it yet)

I can't believe I forgot about that. :lol:
Inzane

Postby Inzane » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:23 am

banthafodder wrote:That is the whole problem with this fig. If you want the original get the original otherwise it just feels like a cheap knock-off. With the cantina coming out they could have released walrus man or snaggle tooth. That would have been awesome.

Thank you, for using their "original" Kenner-era names. That is like a breath of fresh air (after all the wookiepedia/EU nerds between here and eurobricks that insist on name-dropping every obscure character that appears on screen).
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Nuts to character names for characters only on the screen for eight seconds. My heart will always belong to Ice Cream Machine Guy, and I'd rather not know his real name...
dWhisper

Previous

Return to Star Wars