Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75035 Kashyyyk Troopers

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 75035 Kashyyyk Troopers

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 am

75035 - Full Set

Is it possible to get battle pack fatigue? Maybe that's why Lego keeps playing with the $10 range with stuff like Planets (which were awesome) and the Microfighters (not as much). Or maybe it's just that a lot of the recent battle packs have been somewhat underwhelming, with mixes for the type of figures in them or not enough generic troopers to help build up an army. 

That was my chief complaint with the Death Star Troopers pack, where the Royal Guard figures really detracted from the overall value of the set. The Utapau Troopers set did a better job of some more generic troop types, assuming you wanted to build up an army of troopers that would be able to blend in very well at a Texas Longhorns home game (which, as a 'horns fan, I can totally get). They weren't bad troopers, but we've had other Sherbet clones recently so it's good to see a change.

Enter the Kashyyk Troopers battle pack, the third pack we're getting this year. These are obviously not a very "generic" figure, being dressed up for a Duck Dynasty / Star Wars crossover convention (I'm not sure I want to know what that looks like, but I bet TLC will have it on the air within a year or two), but they all look pretty good. If you were going to build up an army of Clone Troopers, I'm willing to bet you'd rather have them capable of hiding in a jungle than at an AT&T store.

At 99 pieces, this one comes in slightly under the Death Star battle pack and well above the Utapau Troopers. The real question is does it justify your money any better than the other two battle packs (or the existing two you can still get)?

All of the new battle packs feature the new blasters with the flick-fire mechanism to shoot little 1x1 studs. I put together a short video of how well they work, which actually is fairly impressive. There is the obligatory warning in the instructions not to shoot out your eye, but while the shoot looks impressive, it's still just a 1x1 stud that hits with all the force of a fly bouncing off the window. The new flick-fire cannons in the other sets could do a bit more, but I'm not sure these could take out an eye unless you shot the figure out of a slingshot...

[video width="720" height="540" mp4="http://www.fbtb.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/New-Flick-Fire-Blaster.mp4"][/video]

75035 - Minifigs

We get two types of jungle troopers here, the standard clones and a couple of Elite Corps clone troopers that look like Scout Troopers but are apparently not scout troopers. I'm willing to bet we'll see that helmet sneak its way into a scout trooper soon.

75035 - Kashyyyk Clone Troopers

The Clone troopers are the "new" design that we're getting with the 2014 Episode III sets, featuring the phase 2 helmets. We've got the benefit of olive green, better printing, and obviously some new molds. Much like Gree in the AT-AP, the printing on these troopers is far more elaborate than earlier Clones, but it keeps the general Lego feel. I like the camo pattern versus just using green like previous versions have.

75035 - Trooper Heads

The reality is that the more elaborate printing is here to stay, and I like it more when they keep some sort of Lego feel to it. The nice thing with these troopers is that the camo patterns in the torso and legs could easily be adapted to some nifty custom figures, probably the next time we do a Bounty Hunter contest or try to kill Don again with an alphabet bracket.

75035 - Kashyyyk Elite Clone Trooper

The Elite troopers manage to get one of my (many) pet peeves right, and line up the printing on the pouches and leg details. Funny how that can get done in a $13 set and blown in much more expensive offerings. The camo armor print on the torso is interesting, but the legs are what draw your eye, opting for dark brown and generic enough details. It's the helmet that steals the show, doing away with the old scout design by adding a closed front and printed visor, and widening and raising the  flares around the front. 

75035 - Clone Trooper Comparison

The difference between the Phase 1 and Scout clones is particularly stark when you put them side-by-side. While we've gotten a lot of Clone Wars and Phase I clone revisions, this is really the first change to Phase 2 since those sets were released nine years ago. The difference on the green BARC trooper is particularly pronounced. In hindsight, I should have snapped a picture of the Clone Wars BARC trooper too, since this new helmet is distinctly different from that as well.

75035 - Clone Helmet Comparison

We're actually getting a pretty big variety in helmets  thanks to these new sets. For those keeping count, we've gotten seven new helmet designs in this release (and six colors of the new Phase II helmet, if you count the 501st Legion Trooper that had the same design in the AT-RT Walker and Z-95 Headhunter). In other words, any chance you have of a nice, uniform looking Clone Corps is sort of out the window at this point.

75035 - Speeder

This pack deviates a bit from the other recent trends and gives us a vehicle instead of a gun platform or something for the opposing side. As of late, the packs have gone to smaller vehicles or mixed stuff like tiny vehicles and little platforms. This is like a micro version of the Swamp Speeder, a very overpriced TRU exclusive from 2010. It also appeared in one of the original Episode III sets, the Wookiee Catamaran, one of a long-line of subpar sets from the Episode III releases.

75035 - Speeder Back

It's a pretty simple little build, and does include a few nice parts, like the round cylinder for the engine, a light grey R4 head and some dark red curved slopes and tiles. It's a battle pack, so there's not a lot of parts to it. The big difference between this and, say, the speeder in the Clone Battle Pack from last year, is that this little guy doesn't look out of place at all on your Clone Wars display. If you have the existing swamp speeders, these just look like smaller, more mobile versions. As a drop-in to a battle pack, this is up there with the BARC speeders we've gotten in the better packs.

75035 - Speeder Bottom

In the end, all of the battle packs have similar part counts but feel all over the place for value. This one seems to come up with the best mix for price and value. At full price, it's a bit of a stretch, but even a slight sale it will be a great purchase. The clones look sharp and fit with other sets, and I can see using more of these parts in builds than I can with the other packs.

What I liked

• New helmets and printing patterns are at their best in this set

• Little speeder has a lot of value in display and decent value in parts

• Fits in well with other sets that come out, like the AT-AP

What I didn't like

• Not a huge fan of the new blasters, since I think it detracts parts due to higher costs

• It's difficult to place the figures with blasters (and I didn't realize until later that the hooks at the front are meant to hold them)

• So much specialization in Clone minifigs makes building a basic army tougher than ever

Verdict: 4 out of 5. This is the standout of the 2014 battle packs, and has a lot of utility past the basic build. It also fits well into other sets, like the AT-AP. You can purchase Kashyyyk Troopers right now on Amazon.com, scheduled for a March 1st release!

75035 Box Art

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/26/review-75035-kashyyyk-troopers/
Staff

Re: Review: 75035 Kashyyyk Troopers

Postby bigospedros » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 am

I got this the other day ... a nice set, but I'm really not convinced on the Scout Trooper Helmet. I think it's the eye / goggles print ... it just looks a little out of proportion to the rest of the helmet to me :S
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 am

I thought so too at first. but it'd grown on me by the time I was writing the review. I think it draws enough of a distinction from the standard helmet for clones that it sort of works.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Sharpie Clone » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:28 am

bigospedros wrote:I got this the other day ... a nice set, but I'm really not convinced on the Scout Trooper Helmet. I think it's the eye / goggles print ... it just looks a little out of proportion to the rest of the helmet to me :S

Exactly! The goggles are too high on the face/head. They're almost to the top of the head line which would mean their eyes would be about 1.5 inches higher and on their foreheads. Other than that, they're fine. Just lower the goggle print as low as it will go on that mold.
Sharpie Clone

Postby Blue Squadron » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:59 am

Yep, I'd agree with that -- it's the fact that the eye-line is wrong that makes them look out of proportion; it just doesn't match up with the proportions of the mini fig-head underneath. It would also be way too high on a normal human head too. It doesn't need to be ask low as the cut-out on theoriginal Scout Trooper helmet but if the printing was moved to incorporate the very bottom ore the flat plane that is intended to be the visor area on the new mould then it would be about right.
Blue Squadron

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 am

The eye printing was driving me nuts too. It looks like the goggle printing is 50% smaller than it's supposed to be. The area all around it looks like it was molded for the goggle to be printed over a much larger area. If you look at the movie, their goggles go all the way across the inside. It looks like an error.

The other clones look good. Had this come out in 2005 I'd be all over it. They still don't top the Clone Scout Trooper from '05. Accurate or not, it's just cool.

>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 am

I'm not sure they could really get that printing right and still keep the Lego look. The taller helmets actually fit with the overall look of Phase 2, which was a transition between Phase 1 and the Storm Trooper look. That screenshot GIR posted looks closer to the new helmet than the old...
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 am

I think the figs look butt-ugly personally, but that's me. Olive green on a slightly pukish-color green do not an appealing color scheme make.

Agreed about the proportion issues mentioned above, but for me I think the issue is that the older molds were deliberately stylized to fit with out-of-scale minifig proportions, and the new ones are molded to look more 'realistic'. It's the same issue I have with stuff like the Iron Man helmet, the new Boba Fett helmet, or heck, even the "new" (new since 2008) stormtrooper helmets. For some reason they've stopped actively stylizing their elements and instead try and go for realism, which is a bit bizarre when you've got claw-handed, round-headed, fat stocky people serving as your base. Makes me wonder what the Vader helmet would look like were it designed today.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:30 am

Appealing, no, but it's actually a pretty good camo pattern. Camo is typically ugly anyway.

I suppose I should have stated that my reviews for these three packs were against one another. I get the issues with proportions and the like (though they didn't bug me in the set, why I didn't talk on them), but this pack seems to be the one that delivers the best value overall.

That being said, battle packs in general have been on the downslope for a few years now. The time when these were army builders seems long gone, unless you want to build up stuff like the 212th or the Kashyyyk forces specifically. I just saw these as having a bit more potential for parts, especially the camo torso and legs from the troops.
dWhisper

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:31 am

One update. I missed a couple of helmets. The AV-7 has a different one, and the MHC set from last year also features a different variety, bringing the count up to 10 different Phase 2 helmets...
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

dWhisper wrote:Appealing, no, but it's actually a pretty good camo pattern. Camo is typically ugly anyway.

Yeah, and I get that, but I'd argue that one of the core elements of LEGO design is aesthetic over realism- how good something looks on its own is much more important than how much it looks like the thing its based on.

I'd elaborate more, but I have a planned project that'll delve into this very subject, so I think I'll hold off for a bit.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:52 pm

Camo is kind of a unique use case in that design though, since it can go from cartoonish to digital to realistic in real patterns. The pattern here I thought was a decent compromise between the Lego look and the realistic look without going nuts on either extreme. Anyway, Lego for several years has been swinging to a more stylized look that we call realistic, but I'd say it's less about realism and more about that more expressive style that comes across like that. Not for everyone, I know, but it's just the reality of buying any current figure.
dWhisper

Postby RfAurora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:54 pm

I picked this set up today along with the Utapau Troopers and Battle on Saleucami as I had a coupon. I have to say that the new minifigs were very nice. I'm glad we're finally seeing this level of detail on the minifigs.
RfAurora

Postby darth_fett » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Out of all the battle packs i've gotten (missing utapau troops) this is def my fave. I thought the BARC speederbike with new grass was to be the IT thing, but that sucks just so bad. I'll wait for that review to get it off my chest. The troops look so nice and i've been dying to set up Yoda for a surprise assassination! The eye printing was bothersome but seated in the vehicle it doesn't look so bad. I flipped the blasters upside down on the front, just looks better imo. Harder to fire though. This is exactly how a battle pack vehicle should be done! The engine functionality is nice, good special parts. Sooo getting multiples. Good thing TRU has bogo 50% on Lego now!
darth_fett

Postby RfAurora » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 pm

darth_fett wrote:Out of all the battle packs i've gotten (missing utapau troops) this is def my fave. I thought the BARC speederbike with new grass was to be the IT thing, but that sucks just so bad. I'll wait for that review to get it off my chest. The troops look so nice and i've been dying to set up Yoda for a surprise assassination! The eye printing was bothersome but seated in the vehicle it doesn't look so bad. I flipped the blasters upside down on the front, just looks better imo. Harder to fire though. This is exactly how a battle pack vehicle should be done! The engine functionality is nice, good special parts. Sooo getting multiples. Good thing TRU has bogo 50% on Lego now!

I might pick up another Kashyyk trooper pack and a spider droid so I can have a battle of Kashyyk dio with the new droid bomber, at-ap, and chewbacca.
RfAurora

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 pm

The review for the Battle on Saleucami will likely be posted on Friday, but I'll tell you darth_fett, you and I are going to disagree on that one ;)

That droid bomber is the set that annoys me the most, honestly. The original is one of my least favorite sets ever, and the kind of set that gave the Clone Wars stuff such a bad reputation (that in the end it didn't deserve). I hate that I'll probably end up getting the new one just for a new Chewie figure...
dWhisper

Postby volumex » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:23 am

It's been very entertaining reading the reviews on the battle packs... thank you. ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67800098@N07/12754017313/
volumex

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Glad to know you enjoyed them. I know I enjoy building them and writing the reviews (even when I get a bit critical on them at times). Next time, pitch some Stormtrooper battle packs! With officers!
dWhisper

Return to Reviews