Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Guardians of the Galaxy: first Official Trailer

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Guardians of the Galaxy: first Official Trailer

Postby Staff » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Okay, let's go down the list. Rocket Raccoon? Check. Zoe Saldana in head-to-toe green paint? Check. Absolutely nailing Peter Quill as Star Lord? Check. It's been an en vogue thing on the nerd-verse blogs to call out Guardians of the Galaxy as the first potential "bomb" in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, given that it's a relatively obscure title in the overall mix and set well outside what the other ones have covered. I respond to that with four simple words: Hooked on a Feeling.

Between this trailer and the new set teases, I am absolutely ready for this movie, and all the glory that is Rocket.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/18/guardians-of-the-galaxies-first-official-trailer/
Staff

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: first Official Trailer

Postby Ewokologist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am

You could say I'm hooked on a feeling for this movie. :lol:
Ewokologist

Postby kibosh » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:36 pm

This does look like the bomb people are predicting. WAY too obscure. I'm a wannabe comic nerd, and I've never heard of this franchise.

This is going to set comic book movies way back, and destroy the momentum they've enjoyed.
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.
kibosh

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:18 pm

kibosh wrote:This does look like the bomb people are predicting. WAY too obscure. I'm a wannabe comic nerd, and I've never heard of this franchise.

This is going to set comic book movies way back, and destroy the momentum they've enjoyed.

I must have been watching a different trailer.
buriedbybricks

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 pm

kibosh wrote:This does look like the bomb people are predicting. WAY too obscure. I'm a wannabe comic nerd, and I've never heard of this franchise.

I'm not really all that convinced that familiarity with the franchise has anything to do with how much audiences will enjoy it. Granted, I only have anecdotal evidence of this, but I am a DC comics fan who has next to no knowledge about ANY of the Marvel properties that have been made into films, yet I have enjoyed the vast majority of them. My wife has even LESS comics knowledge, and enjoyed most of them as well. And yet I DIDN'T like most of the DC forays into film all that much (well, OK, I loved Batman Begins), and I am FAR more familiar with those properties.

So, no, I don't think the "obscurity" of the franchise will have much of an effect on how much the audience will enjoy the movie. To MUCH of the audience of these films, comics are something they've never read at all. I'd bet that an awful lot of the people that loved Iron Man couldn't have identified the name "Tony Stark" prior to seeing the movie.

Don't get me wrong. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that this movie won't do well at the box office. I'm just saying that, IMHO, if that is the case, the obscurity of the franchise is probably not going to be the real reason why...
Mister Ed

Postby CaptainFordo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I seriously doubt one movie could bring the comic book movie reign to a close. While I hadn't heard of GOTG much before the film, I think it looks like a fun film, still feels like Marvel, but is cannily different enough so that, should it flop (which I don't think it will) it will be able to be cut loose and not harm the overall MCU too much.

I think it will stand as a fun sci-fi romp if nothing else, seems like it will be pretty enjoyable to me.
CaptainFordo

Postby sparkart » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Guardians does seems too esoteric, but I've gotta give Marvel credit for attempting to expand their universe, and not rely on just a couple of marquee characters. I think Marvel's done a pretty good job at introducing the unwashed masses to the nuttiness of their comic-book universe. I like how each movie gets just a little crazier and more cosmic, and how you're not just dropped into this surreal world of comic-dom without some familiar context or relate-able background story.

I had doubts that Thor would translate well to reel-life, c'mon, they travel across a RAINBOW bridge (how silly is that?), but I think the Thor movies are great (and the rainbow bridge looked pretty cool).

I'll definitely give Guardians a chance. I don't think I like any of the characters, but I'm hopeful and pretty sure that I'll find something in the movie to like, like the production values, the art design, or the animation of Rocket.
sparkart

Postby dWhisper » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:35 pm

From a mainstream perspective, pretty much everything other than The Hulk was somewhat esoteric. While The Avengers may have owned their publication history for decades, Iron Man, Thor, and the rest were overshadowed greatly by the X-Everything and Spider-Man, both in media and the comics starting in the 90s. Iron Man had been somewhat scattered before the movie hit and moved him right back to the center of the universe.

Guardians' big risk isn't in being esoteric, it's in being science fiction. The rest of the movies, while there is that whole "comic" feel, have all been firmly in the action/adventure genre. This is an action movie that's also a Sci-Fi movie, and that is a risk.

sparkart is right that Marvel has done a good job... in fact, that's why it's been a success. Their movies appeal to a wide audience, not just the nerdverse subset of Comic Book fans. The reality is that movies cannot succeed if they only go for that audience, because we geeks and nerds do not buy enough tickets to do so (and there are a lot of movies out there that have been made for us that bombed because of it).

All of that being said, the trailer still gets me excited, and it has just enough mix of action to still bring in people. And the reality is that, much like Pixar, a Marvel movie has name enough to get people out there.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Boyfromvalley » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm

If you’re a Doctor Who fan you might like to hear that Karen Gillan, who played Amy Pond in S5-S7 of Doctor Who. Will play Nebula; the bald blue skinned female alien who appears in the trailer.
Boyfromvalley

Postby Faefrost » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm

If nothing else that trailer managed to finally shove that "Everything is Awesome" song out of my brain... And replace it with "Hooked on a Feeling". Gonna be a long summer...
Faefrost

Postby jonutah » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 am

Seems like the comment about this movie ruining the franchise was made just to insight the ire of some folks. I think Marvel is smart bringing out this movie for numerous reasons, not the least of which is it introduces more opportunities for merchandising. Yeah, sure, a guy in an iron suit is cool, but a racoon with a machine gun is going cooler among the hipsters this year and guaranteed to be a costume seen on the Con floors. "Hooked on a Feeling" t-shirts, racoon masks, Lego sets perhaps, etc. etc.

People are going to eat this up the same way the did the first Kick sarlacc movie and Marvel knows it.
jonutah

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

Actually, no, I didn't make it just to irk people. It's been a topic that's come up on a lot of other sites that feature coverage of stuff like this...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Joedward » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

I think it looks awesome, and I can't wait.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Return to Licensed Themes