Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The LEGO Movie Promotional Set

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

The LEGO Movie Promotional Set

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 am

LEGO Movie Promo Set 1

LEGO sent out the above promotional set to select members of the press. It's a small 168-piece set where you build a section of theater seating. Included are nine minifigs of the major characters from the film. LEGO Movie minifigures in a theater watching The LEGO Movie... it doesn't get any more meta than that.

LEGO Movie Promo Set 2 LEGO Movie Promo Set 3 LEGO Movie Promo Set 4 LEGO Movie Promo Set 5

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/05/the-lego-movie-promotional-set/
Staff

Re: The LEGO Movie Promotional Set

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 am

Hmmm... no Green Lantern - or any third party IPs I guess.

Does Benny have a crack in his helmet and/or a scuffed space logo?
Brainslugged

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 am

Batman and Wonder Woman are both included. (Scroll down to last pic.)

If LEGO were to offer this as a "free with $99 purchase," I'd jump at it.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby etcknight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Would be nice if this was more widely available. Unfortunately, these days Lego Co seems more in the business of exclusives and hard-to-get items, rather than trying to make more kids and fans happy. (ie. SDCC exclusives)
etcknight

Postby onions » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:31 pm

i dunno. promotional items exist in all facets no matter where you look. lego's not the first nor the last company to make something unique for members of the press, their employees, etc. aside from the packaging, there's really nothing extraordinary about this set, not even the minifigs.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Tohst » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 pm

This is how I would prefer them to do promos.

It's a nice set. I wouldn't mind having it. But, it also doesn't seem to include anything you can't get elsewhere.

If it had a Green Lantern or a ....hrmmm, I haven't seen the movie so I don't know who else it would have, then I would be cranky that this was so hard to get like the SDCC exclusives of characters we don't have in any other form.

I think they have straddled the line very well in offering something different while not angering fans who can't justify paying stupid money for it if they want it.

So, if you remove the seating in the Cinema modular can this plop right into that space?

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby sparkart » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Is the screen behind the audience? Seems like the screen should be down front, in front of the audience, no?

The way the set is built from the instructions, it's like, the minifigs are in the movie, watching us, watching them, watching us, watching them, watching us...it's a little creepy. ;)
sparkart

Postby twbooth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

BUILD IT!!! The plastic bag has already been exposed to O2 and CO2, so the resell value probably just dropped by 95%, so might as well build it!! :-P
twbooth

Postby ufjason » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 am

onions wrote:aside from the packaging, there's really nothing extraordinary about this set, not even the minifigs.

I don't care, the collector in me still wants it!
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby murphquake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:26 pm

the only part of this set that's not readily available is the card "screen" behind the figs, the rest is straightforward and nothing rare.
murphquake

Postby hobbie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 pm

I like the tin the set came in more than anything else.
hobbie

Postby Marty » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi I thought I'd weigh in on this topic, now as much as I like the idea of this set, it's a bit rough showing us this knowing full well we are never likely to get our hands on it due to the rather large price that will come with it?
It is a rare set, and not many will have one and those that do are likely to hang on to it.
Me, I think it's made of common pieces and apart from the card which I hope some bright will size down to scale I'm sure could make it. As for the characters, alas no "benny", and he's a main character?
This should be something Lego should look at releasing (the set that is!), if only in it's store as it's a nice keepsake when the movie does finally arrive (which in Australia is APRIL!) What sod thought of that one, I'll never know?
As for other promotional stuff now showing up, all this should come in sets in one form or another, it makes it fairer for the rest of us mere mortals.

Marty

Ps. Building instructions on this would be nice?
Marty

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:17 am

Has anyone seen the movie yet? I'd like to make a discussion thread, but I'd imagine someone will review it soon and the discussion will be tacked on the end of that. I really, really enjoyed it though, such a great movie, clearly lovingly created and plenty of nods to old school Lego fans. There's also some great cameos from various themes, including one that I was totally not expecting.

FYI though, anyone DC fans expecting much out of Wonder Woman or Flash will be DCppointed, Flash only appears in one shot (seen in an existing TV spot) and Wonder Woman only gets like 3 lines or so if I recall correctly.

I look forward to further discussion upon review =)
CaptainFordo

Return to Licensed Themes