Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[UK] London Toy Fair 2014 ... a brief report!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

[UK] London Toy Fair 2014 ... a brief report!

Postby Staff » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Today, I attended the London Toy Fair 2014, on behalf on FBTB.  As always, there were no photos allowed and unlike previous years, I wasn't allowed a Dealer Catalogue, so I have nothing to refer to here.  Hence, this write up will be relatively brief and I may not be able to answer all your questions.  Of course, the German and US Toy Fairs are only a few weeks away and photos are allowed there, so you may just have to wait till then to get all the answers!

STAR WARS

All of the sets from the Spring and Summer waves were on display, although for the vast majority of the sets (even the Spring ones that are out in the shops already), the minifigures were not present.  Instead, we had little cards showing pictures of the forthcoming minifigures ... most of which looked great and several of them had new printing.

I shan't comment on any of the spring sets, as I am sure you know all about them already.  So, onto the summer sets :

75048 Phantom ... £19.99

Looked like the front of a Y-Wing, but not a lot more.  Really didn't know what to make of it!  Don't recall which figures came with it ... something to do with the Rebels series I think.

75049 Snowspeeder ... £34.99

Looked bigger than previous versions.  Comes with the new firing missiles under the wings and the harpoon can be placed in one of the new "stud blaster" guns and can therefore be fired, which is a cool play feature.  3 figures included, Luke, Dak and someone else ... I think!

75050 B-Wing ... £49.99

I didn't really get to see this in great detail, it was hanging up ... but to me, it looked pretty similar to 6208 to me.  Figure wise, it seems we'll get 3 new figures, including Ten Numb, Airen Cracken and B-Wing Pilot.  All of which appeared to have new prints and helmets etc.

75051 Jedi Scout Fighter? ... £59.99

Again, wasn't quite sure what to make of this ... not a ship I was familiar with, again, something to do with Rebels.  Don't recall the figures.

75052 Mos Eisley Cantina ... £64.99

The Cantina element of the set looked ok ... probably not quite big enough for most people's liking, although it does have representations of the main areas of the Cantina, so you can re-create scenes quite easily.  It can either be closed up or opened out, in a line.  The new Dewback looked great, although it was a preliminary version, without articulation or printing.  The Landspeeder appeared to have a new main colour (possibly from the Friends line).  We get 3 Bith figures, for the band (so you'll need to buy two to get the whole band) and the Sand Trooper, Luke and Obi Wan figures all looked to have new prints.

75053 The Ghost ... £69.99

Looked like an odd mix of Star Wars bits from various other ships, including the Falcon.  Primarily white in colour.  Don't recall which figures came with it.

75054 AT-AT ... £109.99

Again, smaller than previous versions, but captures the overall feel of the AT-AT.  The head is much sturdier than the original version, at least, including more new missile things under the head!  Includes General Veers, plus some Snow Troopers etc

*edit*

I should add here that I was comparing the new version to 4483 as I don't own either the motorised version of 8129, since I thought they were not as good as 4483 and bought neither!

75055 Imperial Star Destroyer ... £119.99

AGAIN, smaller than the last one, built in a similar fashion, although the top comes off easier and the sides open out in a more robust manner.  The guns on the outside of the ship are connected and have a handle, so will rotate in unison, which was neat.  There is a sturdy handle too, perfect for swooshing.  The bridge, unlike the last one, cannot fit any figures in it, by the looks of it.  It looked like the printing on the Darth Vader figures was new, in fact most of them looked new to me!  Instead of having a large trans blue brick with a sticker to represent the Emporer, we get a custom moulded minifig trophy statuette in the shape of the Emporer, in trans blue.  A neat little addition.

75056 Advent Calendar ... £24.99

Comes with various mini models, some new, some not (the Y-Wing is the same as the 2011!).  The Landspeeder looked rather similar to the keychain version from a few years ago.  Figure wise, we get a Christmas Darth Vader, a green R2 unit with a cone head (i.e. made to look like a Christmas tree), General Rieekan and a Santa Trooper, plus a few others that are available in other sets.

And that is about all I can remember!!!!  I may do another post tomorrow with details of other themes ...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/01/21/uk-london-toy-fair-2014-a-brief-report/
Staff

Re: [UK] London Toy Fair 2014 ... a brief report!

Postby Automaton Pictures » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Can you please post what you saw at Toy Fair of the 2014 Hobbit sets?
Automaton Pictures

Postby sterow » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:01 pm

This sounds a shade disappointing - The AT-AT is one of the few redesigned sets where the redesigns have never matched the first version, and I thought the B-Wing may take a more decisive leap forward, borrowing design elements from the UCS version.

The Star Destroyer being smaller is perhaps a disappointment, though these may be offset by other gains. It sounds like the bridge will be better than the oversize version on the last one, although I modded mine long ago.

Perhaps we've been spoiled by a long period where it seemed very redesign was a really big leap forward, and it may be only natural that there is some plateauing. I'll be interested to see detailed pictures of these sets.
sterow

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

Hm....overall, a good lineup of sets. But I'm so disappointed by the minifigure lineup in the Cantina. THREE band members?? How about a little variety with Ponda Baba, Wuher, Dr. Evazan, Momaw Nadon, etc.
The_Chosen_1

Postby jindianajonz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Did you mean to say the B-Wing came with a B-wing pilot? A Y-Wing pilot would be a bit odd.

Did the Cantina also have a Greedo figure?
jindianajonz

Postby Brickweiser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:41 pm

jindianajonz wrote:Did you mean to say the B-Wing came with a B-wing pilot? A Y-Wing pilot would be a bit odd.

That's what I presumed too. Although, if I were a betting man, I would say that Ten Numb would probably be in his red jumpsuit from the movie as seen here:
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080515085951/starwars/nl/images/6/6a/Ten_Numb.jpg

A ROTJ Y-Wing pilot would be amazing regardless, although I wish Lego could release an accurate 2-seater Y-Wing Bomber.
Brickweiser

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks for the info. Is the Santa Vader completely red like that old prototype? And what's a Santa Trooper? And you really don't remember anything about the Rebels minifigs? I don't expect you to recognize the characters since they will likely be new, but can you at least tell us if they had Clone Wars style eyes or not, if they had any new hair/headpieces, or what clothes they wore?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 am

Right, thanks for all the questions ... I'm pretty busy with work today, so I'll answer what I can now and come back with more detail this evening!

Automaton Pictures wrote:Can you please post what you saw at Toy Fair of the 2014 Hobbit sets?

Not much of a Hobbit fan, so I didn't pay much attention / understand a lot of what was being shown to me. Will check my audio recording later and post what I can.

sterow wrote:This sounds a shade disappointing - The AT-AT is one of the few redesigned sets where the redesigns have never matched the first version, and I thought the B-Wing may take a more decisive leap forward, borrowing design elements from the UCS version.

Personally, I still prefer the original version, although obviously I only had a brief look at the new one yesterday.

The Star Destroyer being smaller is perhaps a disappointment, though these may be offset by other gains. It sounds like the bridge will be better than the oversize version on the last one, although I modded mine long ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a big set, it just seemed a little smaller all round than the first one. But again, I was going from memory.

The_Chosen_1 wrote:Hm....overall, a good lineup of sets. But I'm so disappointed by the minifigure lineup in the Cantina. THREE band members?? How about a little variety with Ponda Baba, Wuher, Dr. Evazan, Momaw Nadon, etc.

Well, I think getting 3 Bith characters are great, since there were 6 in the original band! I definitely don't recall seeing pictures of any of the characters you mentioned above, although it seems strange not to have the bar man, since there was a bar area! Now you mentioned Momaw Nadon, that reminded me that I saw mention of a "Hammerhead" mould being in production, but I don't recall which set it was coming with. It wasn't the Cantina ... that's for sure. Maybe it was one of the Rebels sets??

jindianajonz wrote:Did you mean to say the B-Wing came with a B-wing pilot? A Y-Wing pilot would be a bit odd.

Yes, sorry ... a typo! I'd had a long day ... :P

Yes, it did.

Brickweiser wrote:That's what I presumed too. Although, if I were a betting man, I would say that Ten Numb would probably be in his red jumpsuit from the movie as seen here:
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080515085951/starwars/nl/images/6/6a/Ten_Numb.jpg

That picture looks pretty accurate compared to the tiny picture of the forthcoming figure! The B-Wing pilot's picture had him in this sort of uniform / helmet

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090325220356/starwars/images/0/0e/NamelessPilotGuy.jpg

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Thanks for the info. Is the Santa Vader completely red like that old prototype? And what's a Santa Trooper? And you really don't remember anything about the Rebels minifigs? I don't expect you to recognize the characters since they will likely be new, but can you at least tell us if they had Clone Wars style eyes or not, if they had any new hair/headpieces, or what clothes they wore?

Santa Vader was basically a normal Vader figure, but with printed red robes on the shoulder and sides of the torso and with a red cape. Can't quite remember the helmet design though ... don't think it was all red like the prototype though.

Santa Trooper was basically a Storm Trooper with a santa hat rather than a helmet!

As I said before, hardly any of the new figures were present, only small pictures of them. So there was no opportunity to see the figures with helmets off, so really can't comment. I do remember that Jek 14 came with one, but presumed his figure was the same as from his 75018 Stealth Fighter.

Just to clarify, you're ushered through various areas in the Lego Stand, each with different themed displays. There is a person there that presents the line, pretty quickly. You're not really allowed to stand and study everything, in great detail. So I'm doing my best here to remember :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Legomancer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 am

Looked like an odd mix of Star Wars bits from various other ships, including the Falcon.  Primarily white in colour.  Don't recall which figures came with it.

The Ghost is the ship present in one of the preliminary concept arts for the Rebels series.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Rebels-concept1_lg.jpg
Legomancer

Postby naugem » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the report!
Glad that Ten Numb is finally coming. He was one of my favorite Star Wars figures as a child :)
naugem

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:29 am

Legomancer wrote:

The Ghost is the ship present in one of the preliminary concept arts for the Rebels series.

That's the tinker :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Brickwright » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 pm

bigospedros wrote:

Yes, sorry ... a typo! I'd had a long day ... :P

Awww. A ROTJ Y-wing pilot would actually have been a cool surprise bonus, since Ten Numb is a B-wing pilot anyway. I wonder if we will get a new molded B-wing helmet, or if it will be like the Planets series minifig. I imagine the body will be the same at least.

I like that we get a trio of Bith, but at the same time, I wish it included other Cantina specific characters like Chosen 1 said. The Ithorian at least appears in one of the others judging by the leaked images. I think it was the Jedi Scout Fighter or maybe the Phantom. With the OT-ness of the Rebels series, we might see more Cantina species appear as other characters in the show. I wish that Talz from 8085 didn't look so different from the Cantina one.

The Snowspeeder looking bigger sounds like a from-the-ground-up design instead of another 2003 variation. That's good news.
Brickwright

Postby bigospedros » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Brickwright wrote:
Awww. A ROTJ Y-wing pilot would actually have been a cool surprise bonus, since Ten Numb is a B-wing pilot anyway. I wonder if we will get a new molded B-wing helmet, or if it will be like the Planets series minifig. I imagine the body will be the same at least.

As I said above, the B-Wing pilot looked like this :

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090325220356/starwars/images/0/0e/NamelessPilotGuy.jpg

Looked like a new helmet to me!
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Artizan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:48 am

if the pilot is wearing a white suit instead of a red suit, he is a y-wing pilot, they both had the same helmets in rotj but different colored marks on them.
Artizan

Postby bigospedros » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 am

Hmm ... I've just re-listened to the audio recording and I definitely said "Y-Wing Pilot" when I was looking at the B-Wing set! So, now I am confused ... the picture I linked to is what I remember seeing though! Sorry for the lack of clarity ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:21 pm

bigospedros wrote:
Legomancer wrote:

That's the tinker :)

Holy cow! Even if not by name this is the closest we'll ever get to a Lego Otana. Squeeeeeeee.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Inzane » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:34 am

The_Chosen_1 wrote:How about a little variety with Ponda Baba, Wuher, Dr. Evazan, Momaw Nadon, etc.

You guys are driving me crazy with all this obscure C-canon/EU crap. You could've said walrus man, hammerhead, bartender, etc. Its so contrived how they came along well after the fact and retroactively created names and backstory for pretty much anything that appeared on screen. Especially when it was mostly unnecessary.

For some of us old-timers if we have to reach for google or wookiepedia every time someone name-drops one of these "characters", that should hint that maybe it's not mainstream enough to warrant inclusion in a set.

* e.g. I noticed in the wookie entry for Ponda Baba, he wasn't named until 1989. While that might be ancient history for some of you, that's TWELVE YEARS after the original film came out. :roll:
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 am

Some of us take a particular pleasure in using things like that for those characters (I know I've used the phrase "Ice Cream Machine Guy" in multiple reviews). Though to be honest, I have no issues with people using the names, I just tend to ignore them and won't go look them up unless I'm curious.

Besides, the Cantina set needs Pig Nose guy (who later went by the name "Lefty") to be complete. I don't care what his name actually is... he'll always be pig nose guy!
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:00 pm

Sheesh...looks like I touched a nerve by using the characters' names. I thought those four, at least, were fairly common knowledge among fans, but I guess not.
The_Chosen_1

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

I wouldn't say touched a nerve (not for me), I just like making fun of the pure absurdity of the unnamed characters, and the insane back-stories they end up with a lot of the time.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Next

Return to Star Wars