Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Michael Douglas is Hank Pym (and Rudd is Scott Lang)

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Michael Douglas is Hank Pym (and Rudd is Scott Lang)

Postby Staff » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Michael Douglas

In a strange moment of being direct, Marvel.com has announced that Gordon Gekko, i.e., Michael Douglas, is going to be playing a presumably older Hank Pym in the upcoming Ant-Man movie. The rumor mill had previously churned up Paul Rudd in the role, and he is in the movie as Scott Lang, Ant-Man version 2.0. This casting makes a whole lot more sense than Rudd as Pym. I can totally see Douglas smacking the Wasp and then getting tied up in it. And Rudd could easily be a reformed-thief/villain that takes up the mantle in a moment of desperation (and poor decision making).

It also gives us a decent shape on what the movie is going to be about, and where in the comics it ties in. While unknown to cinematic-only fans of the Marvel Universe, Ant-Man is one of the oldest characters in the universe, and snagging an actor of Douglas' talent is a pretty big coup. I mean, this guy can play good guy who snapped (Falling Down), or a smart guy who snapped, or as a knock-off hero that lives in the shadow of those who came before (see the Indiana Jones knockoff that is Romancing the Stone).

The only real pause I have with Douglas, while being a fine actor, doesn't have much experience in the whole Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comic space. I suppose that didn't stop any of the other actors that have come along, but most of them weren't nearly as big of a casting as Douglas is.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/01/13/michael-douglas-is-hank-pym-and-rudd-is-scott-lang/
Staff

Re: Michael Douglas is Hank Pym (and Rudd is Scott Lang)

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:31 pm

how much sci-fi/fantasy acting will he be doing? If he's just passing on the mantle, it may work out fine. Maybe they'll do flash-backs with a creepy younger version of himself like in Tron: Legacy
crazybirdman

Postby dWhisper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:37 pm

I don't know, Michael Douglas got far creepier as he got older.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby rodiziorobs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:11 pm

No problem with Douglas; he's a fine actor and I can totally see him having invented an imaginary particle for SHIELD back in the day. My problem with the casting is that if we start out with an old Hank Pym, the likelihood that we'll see Wasp at all (let alone in action) is practically nil.
rodiziorobs

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

I'm sure if they really wanted to get Wasp in there they could change things around so Janet is married to Scott. They alright tweaked enough things in the movie-verse so that wouldn't be a big deal.
crazybirdman

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:51 pm

crazybirdman wrote:I'm sure if they really wanted to get Wasp in there they could change things around so Janet is married to Scott. They alright tweaked enough things in the movie-verse so that wouldn't be a big deal.

Janet could easily be his much-younger trophy wife. In which case, art would be imitating life. :cool:
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Or they make just make her older too. Then maybe do another movie, or some flashbacks, to tell their story, or put it in the TV show.
speaking of, when is Damage Control gonna get it's own show?
crazybirdman

Postby Ultron32 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

crazybirdman wrote:Or they make just make her older too. Then maybe do another movie, or some flashbacks, to tell their story, or put it in the TV show.
speaking of, when is Damage Control gonna get it's own show?

TV show sounds sweet. If Pym is mostly flashbacks, I could see them doing an AWESOME Ant-Man & The Wasp TV show set in whenever in the past. Plus cameos and crossovers with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Defenders and whatnot.

And as far as Damage Control...I would wager they haven't been made in the MCU yet seeing as S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to do all the clean up for everything.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Return to Licensed Themes