Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Theatre] The Globe Theatre - Stage

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Theatre] The Globe Theatre - Stage

Postby Harmonica » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:37 am

Something that's been sitting on my desk for a few months now, only just got around to taking pictures of it.

I love Shakespeare, so you can imagine my excitement when LEGO came up with a Hamlet (or 'Thespian' as I think they called it) figure. Of course, what's an actor without a stage?

The Globe - Stage by WGHMusic, on Flickr
I don't really need to put the quote here, do I?

So I made this, based on the actual stage inside the actual Globe Theatre. Well, the modern reconstruction of it, anyway. The colors are a bit brighter on the actual thing (at least, that's the way it looks in photos, I've never actually been there, unfortunately), but that's a conscious decision I made after preliminary designs where the colors where simply distracting too much from the minifigs.

It's really a simple, straightforward construction, nothing special about it. Just a little passion project of mine. Though I am quite happy LEGO made those microfigs; it really adds a nice little touch there in the back, above the balcony.

Empty stage.

Head-on view.

That's it, really. Just showing off my desk ornament. Further plans for this thing are to put a small led light (or several) in the roof, maybe provide some stage lighting. Also, I have the entire cast of Hamlet already made, mostly cause I wanted to make a sort of webcomic LEGO Hamlet. Alas, poor Hamlet, my photography skills are...non-existent, really. So I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

Thoughts? Comments?
Harmonica

Re: [Theatre] The Globe Theatre - Stage

Postby dWhisper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 am

I like the general concept, and your work on the floor is quite nice. I think were you could gain a lot is finding a way to put a good base on the pillars at the front of the stage, and swapping the dark grey for a gold in the gap between them. Take a look at how these look...

That would give those a lot of pop, but could be done in a way that wouldn't detract from the stage itself. Not a simple build, but one that might be worth the challenge.

That would help draw the eye away from the repeating brown structure. Also, what is a play without an audience! You need some fans and hecklers on there. In the end though, if you're trying to build The Globe, you have to have some of the wall of the theaters and gallery itself. The stage is where the action happened, but it was the shape of the theater that made it unique.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Re: [Theatre] The Globe Theatre - Stage

Postby Harmonica » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 am

Caesar Comic Test by WGHMusic, on Flickr

Bit late to reply, but ya know, real life happens sometimes.

I have a solution ready for the pillars, just waiting for the parts to arrive. Been working on that for quite a while to no avail, when an idea popped into my head a few days ago. Apparently, unemployment breeds creativity (unfortunately is doesn't breed cash nearly as much). Will update once that's ready.

As for an audience and the rest of the building: would love to build 'em, but, well, the wallet doesn't agree. Sometime in the future, hopefully.

In the meantime, I did manage to find a nice little LED-light to cram in the ceiling. It is, in fact, precisely the right thickness to fit inside (it even has a dial to change the color! Whoo!):

Harmonica

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase