Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

I've Got a Bad Feeling About this: Episode VII Opens Dec 18th, 2015

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

I've Got a Bad Feeling About this: Episode VII Opens Dec 18th, 2015

Postby Staff » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:08 pm

starwars

StarWars.com has dashed some of the rumors and speculation on delays for the next installment of Star Wars by announcing that Episode VII will open worldwide on Dec 18th, 2015. For the especially nerdy among us, this is significant for a few reasons...

• Every Star Wars movie ever released has opened in May

• They just change scriptwriters, which would say shooting isn't anywhere near ready to start

• Christmas release dates always kinda stink for the common movie goer

• This now happens well after Celebration VII (scheduled for April of 2015)

So, on one hand, we're breaking tradition on the release times. On the other hand, this probably means that Episode VII will be competing with early-release Oscar films and whatever terrible holiday movie Tim Allen is in in 2015. No matter what though, I'm willing to bet there's at least one person that's already waiting in line somewhere to buy tickets for this.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2013/11/07/ive-got-a-bad-feeling-about-this-episode-vii-opens-dec-18th-2015/
Staff

Re: I've Got a Bad Feeling About this: Episode VII Opens Dec

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Every Star Wars movie ever released has opened in May

Um...so? It doesn't matter when it's released, as long as it's a quality movie. I'd rather they take the time they need to get it right than gun it for a May 2015 release. (Also, The Clone Wars was released in August 2008, so not every theatrical Star Wars film has had a May release)

They just change scriptwriters, which would say shooting isn't anywhere near ready to start

It's pretty common for a screenplay to change, even right on through production. It shouldn't have a significant effect on the planned Spring 2014 shoot.

Christmas release dates always kinda stink for the common movie goer

Hm...you're right. Avatar, The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, several Harry Potter films. Those December releases all did terrible at the box office. :facepalm:
The_Chosen_1

Postby dWhisper » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I didn't say "did bad" I said "kinda stinks for the common movie goer." As in, families, travel, etc.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:25 pm

There's a line...where? No one told me the line had started already...They can open this thing on any gorram day they like - serious if it's Christmas Day, well the family will still be there next year - I know where I'd be...
Trooper10

Postby Firespray » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 pm

THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL: EPISODE II
Firespray

Postby Rook » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 am

Ok I'm standing in line currently can someone bring me a sleeping bag and cup of coffee.

Ah on a serious note though this sounds like Disney is already planning to fail. :/ That or it will be so EPIC we'll still be going to watch it in theaters well into May 2016. :D
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby dWhisper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 am

That would screw up the DVD release cycle, which is just as important as the theatrical releases these days. Even something like Avatar had to eventually go out of theaters so it could make room for the Blu-Ray and DVD Packages (before going back in for the 3D extended super mega cut).
dWhisper

Postby sparkart » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:05 pm

I've got a bad feeling about this, too, but it's mostly my own hang-ups. I was the perfect age to be imprinted with Star Wars, I can watch Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, again, right now, and enjoy them both.

But now, I'm grumpy and old, and fear I won't be able to accept the new Star Wars, because it'll be for kids. Doesn't it have to be for kids? Is there any such thing as an adult-themed Star Wars? Is that an oxymoron? Are the games aimed toward adults (I dunno, I don't play 'em)?
sparkart

Postby rushiosan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 pm

George Lucas isn't in charge of stuff anymore, so you don't have to worry about release dates. Unless you want:

- a rushed movie launching May 2015
- a delayed movie launching May 2016

You can't guarantee anything (good or bad movie) by having it on May. So, who cares?
rushiosan

Postby dWhisper » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm

There's something to be said for tradition. And while I can't guarantee anything about May, it's an Abrams film, so I can guarantee lots of lens flares. I mean, just imagine what will happen when 3PO shows up on screen
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:27 am

We're still making lens flare jokes?

And not much to say about the opening (hey, my birthday, how about that), since it just seems to be going the Cameron route of "release a major summer blockbuster in the winter where it'll have less competition and greater profits".

Though I think Film Crit Hulk summed it up best.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby rushiosan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:20 am

So, tell me: would you prefer lots of len flares or a jedi rolling in the grass with a girl?
rushiosan

Postby Olymprix » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:05 am

Hey, I don't care when it's released; I'm just psyched for Battlefront by EA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the movie... there is the movie, too. That'll be interesting.
"Size matters not." -- Yoda

Until you get stepped on, buddy...
Olymprix

Postby dWhisper » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 am

I never agreed to give up my lens flare jokes. This is a whole new galaxy for lens flares. Wait until we see Amidala's ship flying past a couple of twin suns, flown by her grand children and their shiny droids. Probably burn out a retina.

And if my choices are lens flares or jedi flirting, I think I'd prefer Episode II not existing.
dWhisper

Postby rushiosan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 am

Thinking about how bad Episodes I and II were (and a part of me also hates the first half of Episode III), I feel like it was the right time to see Lucas selling the franchise. I mean - without his bad prequels, there wouldn't be so much cool LEGO sets around, but we also would never see a third trilogy coming, and if we did... oh well, I can't imagine how bad things could have gone. With Lucas sitting in his throne we would have endless re-releases of all six movies with edited content over and over, until the point our beloved Star Wars movies would become a bad memory. New movies don't hurt as much as changing scenes like "who shot first?". Seeing a partial "rebirth" of the whole thing with the new trilogy is refreshing to me. I have mixed feelings like all of you... it's Disney after all.
rushiosan

Return to Star Wars